OH offered 457.....in Bunbury...what to do?

piccolo

Well we were planning to apply for a 176 but only sent his TRA assessment last week and I'm hearing that the lead times currently are 4 months! That's cutting it fine to get it in before July. Also it would suit us to get out to Oz sooner rather than later so my redundancy money is still in tact!

I guess he feels that right now he has a 30 min commute to work and he doesn't want to move to the other side of the world to double that and spend 2-3 hours a day in a car.

Bunbury is a great place to live, especially if you do not want to spend the best part of your day commuting. You will also find rental properties a lot cheaper - about half that of Perth. With the new Forrest Freeway joining the Kwinana and Mitchell Freeways, you are only a couple of hours south of Perth. Weekends home and away - simple.

Guest fosseboy

I agree that Bunbury is a really nice place to settle. My Parents in law live there and its only 2 hours from Perth on the Freeway. But you are close to some great beaches and the pretty South and Margaret River area. The town is good, not congested, good new hospital.

We are considering it, but will probably settle in Mandurah as we would like to be bewteen Perth and Bunbury.

Mmm....need to do a bit of research methinks! I've been to Bunbury but it was 10 years ago and all I did was walk the pier and get back in the car and drive!! So I know nothing about it really. I guess we just had it in our heads that we were making the big move to Perth and not to a town south of Perth you know? My husband is a city boy and I kinda am so it would be a little fish out of water maybe! Thanks for the replies, sounds like its universally thought of as a pretty place so that's good.

We are in Dawesville which is about an hour easy drive to Bunbury and about an hour to Perth and 20 mins to Mandurah which has pretty much everything you need. As for being a city girl i wouldnt worry. My wife was always a city girl (She was born and raised in Lima which is a lot bigger than London). We initialy lived in Sydney and she worried it would be too small. But now, we live in a semi rural area and she loves it. The beach is opposite the house and she goes for long walks with the dog down it watching the dolphins and has a very relaxed life. We looked at living in Perth but i love the fact that where we are is just so relaxing and when i am not at work i can chil down so quickly. That and house prices are a fraction of Perth. We pay $330 a week for a brand new 3 story house with a large pool and spa and opposite a great beach.

Guest swifties

Hi piccolo,

i would go for it...it gets you there and then you can look at other options once he gets the TRA back. Not that I am a migration agent, but I understand you can possibly get an employer sponsored permanent visa if you have a skill assessment and then you would be sorted. If we had been offered a 457 at Bunbury we would have taken it. It doesnt stop you still trying the 176 option in tandem.

Planning on heading to mandurah or Bunbury ourselves, so may see you there!

good luck

swifties

Actualy the employer sponsored PR doesnt require a skills assesment and comes with no restrictions. Its also very fast. Mine took about 3 weeks and i know of them taking days. So you could come on the 457 and ask them to do the employer sponsored PR later. Most companies wont do it straight away as they like you do be on the 457 for 3-6 months

Guest Shelly23
Actualy the employer sponsored PR doesnt require a skills assesment and comes with no restrictions. Its also very fast. Mine took about 3 weeks and i know of them taking days. So you could come on the 457 and ask them to do the employer sponsored PR later. Most companies wont do it straight away as they like you do be on the 457 for 3-6 months

Can I ask, if you do get employer sponsor for pr, does that not mean you are still tied to a sponsor. What happens when you wnat to change jobs? when you retire are you still eligble to stay. As were looking at 457 too. Thanks for any info

Can I ask, if you do get employer sponsor for pr, does that not mean you are still tied to a sponsor. What happens when you wnat to change jobs? when you retire are you still eligble to stay. As were looking at 457 too. Thanks for any info

No you are not tied to the employer, though most will want an agreement that if you leave within a certain period of time you repay the visa costs. For myself, it was agreed that if i left within 2 years i would repay on a sliding scale. So if i left after a year i would pay half. Once the visa is granted you are a perm resident the same as any other. A perm resident can remain in Australia indefinatly. Though if you leave the country after being there for 5 years a resident return visa is required. Citizenship can be applied for after being in Australia for 4 years with a minimum of 1 year as a perm resident. We have been in Australia 4 years this May and will have been a perm resident for 1 year in July so we will then apply for citizenship.

Unusual for a employer not to pay the visa costs. First time i have heard of it for a 457 as they will be charged directly as they instigate the visa. Unless they have specificaly told you that you have to pay the visa cost, my guess is that you will find it is paid for. The cost of a 457 visa would not normally be mentioned in a Australian job contract as it is just a given. They may ask you to pay for the chest xray / medical if required and police checks, but these arent too bad.

They have no certainty of someone staying once they have PR, but thats why a lot of employers write it into the contract that if you leave you have to refund the PR visa cost. I also know several people who have gained employer sponsored PR that they paid for themselves so that they had total freedom to leave the job if wanted.

But verystormy....this employer hasn't even mentioned paying visa costs. It would seem they expect us to pay them (which is fine) so where do they have any certainty that OH will stay with them once he has PR Visa??

The employer should pay the cost of a 457 (if that's what visa you're on). I'm certain it's one of the T&C's of the visa, the employer should not seek to recoup visa costs from the employee.

Naturally, the company can refuse to support you with relocation costs but if you get in quick enough you should be able to recoup some of this through LAFHA (but I've heard this goes soon so maybe not all and not sure if LAFHA will be replaced with something else by the time we have to complete our 2012/13 tax returns 0 anyone?)

I've had a quick look at the Immi website and can't find the exact wording but I'll keep looking as I'm sure I didn't imagine it and I usually keep copies of everything.

The employer should pay the cost of a 457 (if that's what visa you're on). I'm certain it's one of the T&C's of the visa, the employer should not seek to recoup visa costs from the employee.

Naturally, the company can refuse to support you with relocation costs but if you get in quick enough you should be able to recoup some of this through LAFHA (but I've heard this goes soon so maybe not all and not sure if LAFHA will be replaced with something else by the time we have to complete our 2012/13 tax returns 0 anyone?)

I've had a quick look at the Immi website and can't find the exact wording but I'll keep looking as I'm sure I didn't imagine it and I usually keep copies of everything.

Correct. LAFHA is ending on 1st July. It is not being replaced with anything as the goverment policy is now that it is for an employer to ensure staff are properly compansated and not the goverment. However, for those already on it there will be a phase out period. The period has yet to be announced but is expected to be a couple of years.

Correct. LAFHA is ending on 1st July. It is not being replaced with anything as the goverment policy is now that it is for an employer to ensure staff are properly compansated and not the goverment. However, for those already on it there will be a phase out period. The period has yet to be announced but is expected to be a couple of years.

Phew! Thanks for that.

So Port Launay you're saying we are perfectly within our rights to ask them to cover the cost of the visa IF it's a 457? She is recommending the RSMS 121/118 now which is PR Visa so I guess she won't be covering the cost of that.

I just find it weird that they don't email you after the interview with the job offer written down and kinda "where we go from here" etc... She just said she thought the RSMS would be the way to go and to let her know what we need paperwork wise from her! But on reading on the DIAC site, it seems the employer has to start the ball rolling and not us no?

So Port Launay you're saying we are perfectly within our rights to ask them to cover the cost of the visa IF it's a 457? She is recommending the RSMS 121/118 now which is PR Visa so I guess she won't be covering the cost of that.

I just find it weird that they don't email you after the interview with the job offer written down and kinda "where we go from here" etc... She just said she thought the RSMS would be the way to go and to let her know what we need paperwork wise from her! But on reading on the DIAC site, it seems the employer has to start the ball rolling and not us no?

There are two parts to the 457; the employers application to be granted the authority to sponsor and the employees application for the visa attached to that role/employer.

The first part requires the employer to submit evidence of their ability to support the employee such as business plans, training and development programmes, formal policies and procedures etc. This process is progressed between DIAC and the employer, rarely does the employee have any involvement. Once the employer has been granted permission to sponsor someone DIAC inform them and advise the employer of the process for the employee. This can take some time, for us it was around 3 months but this was delayed because the MD of the company had a baby.

The second part, your bit, is largely formality and, depending upon what job you're going for, may or may not involve police checks etc. It's very simple and we submitted our application on a Sunday night and were granted our visa's on the Wednesday morning.

There were no costs incurred by us for the visa whatsoever and I do remember reading in the application that one of the conditions of the visa was that none of the costs should be passed to the employee.

If your employer is now discussing other options it may be because they have seen the cost of the 457 or the process they have to go through and are having second thoughts. I'm not familiar with the other visa you mention but if it is a route to PR then it is undoubtedly one which you will have to initiate, drive and fund yourself. I also think it will likely take considerably more time than the 457; have they said they'd keep the job open, some PR visa's take years to process?