Budget Help

Guest Zmeggers

Guest Zmeggers

Hello Folks

Hopefully some of you can help by giving some advice.

My family are due to arrive in Perth in December. We are arriving on 457 visas as my husband has secured a transfer with his work, he is an offshore engineer.

I found Aussie Home to be very helpfull but I want you to confrim that i have done this budget correctly as i dont want any nasty surprises when we get out there.

We have a 10k budget provided for shipping and we will be put up in accomodation in the city centre for 3 months. We have 2 daughters aged 5 and 8 months.

We will use the first 3 months to find our settling location, save our bond (which we will save what we would have been paying for rent during that time) and we will rent from then on. I have estimated rent for this budget as we totally understand rent will fluctuate depending on where we want to settle.

We struggle at home, we slog it out to pay the bills and try and make life as comfortable as possible. We are looking to provide a better live for our family.

Onother question I have is the things that i have put on our budget, would any of these be included in our rent already? I guess another thing we wont know untill we are out there?

I have also excluded a car and running costs from our budget although i know this will be a nessesity so again if anyone has any advice in this area too that would be great too.

We plan to secure a 4 - 5 bedroom property with pool.

Rent (Estimate) $3500

Council Rates $150

Water Rates & Usage $100

Contents Insurance $40 (i presume the landlord would pay building insurance?)

Electricty $125

Gas $100

House Phone $100

Broadband $50

Foxtel TV $120

Health Care $350

State School $60

Food Shopping $1200

Total = $5895

I could be way off the mark on some of these so please let me know if I am. I have used AussieHome and some other posts on here to come to these figures.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Gemma x

Guest lozzchops

Thats quite a good budget planner,you won't have to pay council tax if your renting and for $3500 you should secure a high quality property in a good location.Make sure if your looking for state schools that you get into the catchment area they have to take you if your in the schools advertised catchment.

I think you will get contents insurance for less than $40 a month I am sure in fact I paid $224 for a 12mth for $50,000 cover plenty of internet sites to compare prices

as stated you wont pay water rates or council rates if renting you will only pay water useage

Who's your contents insurance with? The cheapest I've managed to find is $665 a year with RAC - most others were touching on $1,000 per year!

Guest themanns

Hi, Ithink your budget looks pretty good..Have heard that you have to pay for treatment in advance and claim it back with private as friends of ours needed knee op and had to pay 14k upfront and only got 45% of it back..so make sure on your type of visa you have back up. There are alot of hidden costs here that you don't consider before you come like you have to pay every year to keep your driving licence and prices for everything are rising rapidly! We were better off in UK and I didn't have to work there either..Child care is VERY expensive..800 to 1000 a month and if you earn the amount you would need to to have a comfortable life(well break even actually 95k between you) The gov don't give you enough or any towards it! I think the quality of life is only that you get to drive or walk to work in the sun ha ha!

Hello Folks

Hopefully some of you can help by giving some advice.

My family are due to arrive in Perth in December. We are arriving on 457 visas as my husband has secured a transfer with his work, he is an offshore engineer.

I found Aussie Home to be very helpfull but I want you to confrim that i have done this budget correctly as i dont want any nasty surprises when we get out there.

We have a 10k budget provided for shipping and we will be put up in accomodation in the city centre for 3 months. We have 2 daughters aged 5 and 8 months.

We will use the first 3 months to find our settling location, save our bond (which we will save what we would have been paying for rent during that time) and we will rent from then on. I have estimated rent for this budget as we totally understand rent will fluctuate depending on where we want to settle.

We struggle at home, we slog it out to pay the bills and try and make life as comfortable as possible. We are looking to provide a better live for our family.

Onother question I have is the things that i have put on our budget, would any of these be included in our rent already? I guess another thing we wont know untill we are out there?

I have also excluded a car and running costs from our budget although i know this will be a nessesity so again if anyone has any advice in this area too that would be great too.

We plan to secure a 4 - 5 bedroom property with pool.

Rent (Estimate) $3500

Council Rates $150

Water Rates & Usage $100

Contents Insurance $40 (i presume the landlord would pay building insurance?)

Electricty $125

Gas $100

House Phone $100

Broadband $50

Foxtel TV $120

Health Care $350

State School $60

Food Shopping $1200

Total = $5895

I could be way off the mark on some of these so please let me know if I am. I have used AussieHome and some other posts on here to come to these figures.

Thanks for your help in advance.

Gemma x

Guest Zmeggers

Thanks everyone, your advice is invaluable! We are hoping to better our qaulity of life quite dramatically. At the moment, we rarely go out with the kids, we live in a little 3 bedroom farm house and have very little disposable income. I have been on maternity leave since November last year and it has hit us very hard, as it would anyone! Wouldnt have it any other way though! In Perth we are looking at having around 7k disposable income per month after all outgoings (car not included), i hope that this figure will help us to get out and about with our children doing lots of fun things and they are not hard done by like we have been in recent months, they deserve it! Thanks again guys! xx

Guest Zmeggers

Hi Paul

My husband is an offshore engineer and I am a procurement manager for oil & gas. I dont think it matters how much you earn...you make the best of what you have. I have been on maternity leave for the last year and my salary was originally our disposable income...unfortunatly it hit us hard and we have really struggled during this time but we have 2 beautifull kids, all the love in the world and wouldnt want it any other way! :-)

I am basing our budget/spend only on my husbands basic salary as I have yet to secure work. We will have his day rate on top of this to fall back on until I secure something. Hoping to find something suitable at least within the first 3 months. Heres hoping :-)

Its so hard to get a feel for money when your not there living it yet, this site was an absolute find, everyone has been so helpfull and lovely. Hopefully it will all fall into place on arrival.

Thanks

Gemma

Guest Zmeggers

Hi Paul

My husband is an offshore engineer and I am a procurement manager for oil & gas. I dont think it matters how much you earn...you make the best of what you have. I have been on maternity leave for the last year and my salary was originally our disposable income...unfortunatly it hit us hard and we have really struggled during this time but we have 2 beautifull kids, all the love in the world and wouldnt want it any other way! :-)

I am basing our budget/spend only on my husbands basic salary as I have yet to secure work. We will have his day rate on top of this to fall back on until I secure something. Hoping to find something suitable at least within the first 3 months. Heres hoping :-)

Its so hard to get a feel for money when your not there living it yet, this site was an absolute find, everyone has been so helpfull and lovely. Hopefully it will all fall into place on arrival.

Thanks

Gemma

Guest Zmeggers

Just used iselect.com.au and found health cover for the 4 of us for $250 a month...ACE! That was choosing the best cover we could get. I had budgeted $350 for this so I am delighted. Where does medicare come into it? When i typed details into a tax calculator is came up deductions for medicare...do you still get you monthly salary deducted if you are on a 457 visa and paying for private health care?

Questions questions

Thanks again :-)

Morning we plan to go out in January we have had our 189 visa granted ! Iv had an interview with a company in canning vale on Skype he then flew out to meet me last week ,they want me on board and have indicated on the money and package approx 110 k plus supper plus car, my wife is a secondary school teacher with 8 years experiance we hope she can get supply work for 3 days a week not sure how much her wage will be but we think 45 k- 50 k.

We have one 16 month old baby and are trying to work out a budget plan if anyone could help that would be great!

Cost of child care 3 days a week ?

nice afordable area within half an hour of canning vale ?

average rent cost of 3/4 bed house with pool if we poss?

cost of running wife's car for work and child care !

Anything else we need to know please feel free !

Many thanks in advance it feels so real now !

Guest TomOShea

Hi Zmeggers

Im a financial planner and I see a lot of people budgets and importantly they vary vastly from one person to the next. However, there isnt anything I've seen in your budget that sticks out as being particularly abnormal. House phones are becoming less common but the are more than replaced (in cost) by mobiles. Most mobiles will cost about $50 - $70 per month if on a contract however that may not be appropriate if you are unsure of how long you will be in Perth. Not sure of costs for alternative to contracts.

There are obviously other things that need to be taken into account, eg clothing, going out etc. What about saving for furniture or are you going to try and rent a furnished home?

The following is the governments website which explains in easy to understand English how the financial system works in Australia. Go to moneysmart.gov.au. It covers all kinds of things including taxation, superannuation (pensions), banking blah blah blah. Importantly it does have a nice spreadsheet for budgeting which breaks down expenses into different categories which will help you to think of some items you may not have considered.

Importantly, you mentioned that your husband will be working as an offshore engineer. You also mentioned that you slog it out at home with bills etc. You shouldn't have the same issue here as that ís a very well paid occupation in Perth.

As I work in financial planning, I would encourage you to get a good understanding of what your husbands employer is providing to you. Are they providing a phone for him, taxis from home to the airport, do they provide income protection and life insurances (A basic level is often provided inside of superannuation).

Best of luck .....

Tom

toshea@sagefg.com

sagefinancialgroup.com.au

Guest TomOShea
Morning we plan to go out in January we have had our 189 visa granted ! Iv had an interview with a company in canning vale on Skype he then flew out to meet me last week ,they want me on board and have indicated on the money and package approx 110 k plus supper plus car, my wife is a secondary school teacher with 8 years experiance we hope she can get supply work for 3 days a week not sure how much her wage will be but we think 45 k- 50 k.

We have one 16 month old baby and are trying to work out a budget plan if anyone could help that would be great!

Cost of child care 3 days a week ?

nice afordable area within half an hour of canning vale ?

average rent cost of 3/4 bed house with pool if we poss?

cost of running wife's car for work and child care !

Anything else we need to know please feel free !

Many thanks in advance it feels so real now !

Hi Gavin

The budget plan should differ too much from the rest of the information supplied to the original poster. However, I would imagine that your rent could be significantly different. Within 30 mins of Canning vale you should be able to get a 4 bed home for around $500 uinfurnished. Not sure about furnished.

Regarding running a car, it is obviuously dependant on how much you use the car. Fuel costs approx $1.40 per litre at the moment. I drive a small car about 45 mins to work and back (ie 1.5 hours a day) and then a little running around also. I probably use about 40 litres a week. Then there are all the other costs of registration, servicing, maintenance etc. To give you an idea , if you use your car for work in Australia you can claim the costs of running the car as a income tax deduction. Depending on how much you use the car and the size of the car, the tax department will allow you to claim around 70c per km as a cost. Maybe this is a a reasonable indicator of how much a car will cost you over an extended period of time. Importantly, we are very reliant on our cars in Perth so we can tend to do a lot of mileage.

Again, the governements website has heaps of good info ... www.moneysmart.gov.au and also the department of human services has good info too .... http://www.humanservices.gov.au

Best of luck

Tom

toshea@sagefg.com

sagefinancialgroup.com.au

Guest Zmeggers

Hi Tom, thanks so much for you message. Since I posted this thread i did find a very detailed excel spreadsheet for us to budget and it includes absolutly everything you can think of. Are you a financial advisor? If so it would be great to meet up at some point for some advice about improving our credit score in Auz and hopefully securing a mortgage a couple of years down the line. Thats our plan...plans can go out the window bvut it would be great to get some advice so we could get the ball rolling as soon as we arrive.

Thanks again...Gemz :-)

Guest TomOShea
Hi Tom, thanks so much for you message. Since I posted this thread i did find a very detailed excel spreadsheet for us to budget and it includes absolutly everything you can think of. Are you a financial advisor? If so it would be great to meet up at some point for some advice about improving our credit score in Auz and hopefully securing a mortgage a couple of years down the line. Thats our plan...plans can go out the window bvut it would be great to get some advice so we could get the ball rolling as soon as we arrive.

Thanks again...Gemz :-)

Hey Zmeggers

Im glad I could be of some help. Did you manage to have a look at that website. It is a government one so it is about as reliable as you can get and it really is good.

I am a financial adviser and Im quite happy to catch up when you come out. Just send me an email when you are ready.

Regarding the credit score, the best thing you can do is to show stable employment and a good savings history. So if you are looking to buy a home in two years there is plenty of time to start a savings plan and "show off" to the banks when applying for a mortgage. Some people might suggest that its good to get some small loans and show some good history by making repayments on time so you have a "good credit history". What a load of rubbish. Just save up.

Cheers

Tom

toshea@sagefg.com

www.sagefinancialgroup.com.au