MONKEY MIA - Have you been?

Guest JLT

We're visiting Perth next year on our reccy and just planning our itinerary at the mo. We're planning to drive from Perth to Monkey Mia and wondered if anyone on here has done it, especially with kids.

Cheers,

Jo x

Guest Mandy & Nick

Hi Jo

On our first visit to Perth 2 years ago we flew up to Monkey Mia, It is an amazing place, pure paradise. The kids will luv it when the dolphins swim in to feed early morning, i got to feed Nikki which was fantastic to be so close to a dolphin. We also saw turtles coming up for air and went out on a catamaran dugong watching.

One of our favorite places on earth and we will definatly go back when we eventually migrate.

Hope you have a great time

Mandy & Nick

Hi Jo

On our first visit to Perth 2 years ago we flew up to Monkey Mia, It is an amazing place, pure paradise. The kids will luv it when the dolphins swim in to feed early morning, i got to feed Nikki which was fantastic to be so close to a dolphin. We also saw turtles coming up for air and went out on a catamaran dugong watching.

One of our favorite places on earth and we will definatly go back when we eventually migrate.

Hope you have a great time

Mandy & Nick

Thanks Mandy & Nick. Sounds like it's well worth the long trip.

Definitely worth the trip, you should drive up there in a couple of days, maybe break the journey at Geraldton, then it's only about 5 hours on from there. We stayed in Denham which is just a short drive from Monkey Mia, and are planning to go again, it's a great place for a really chilled out week or so.

Definitely worth the trip, you should drive up there in a couple of days, maybe break the journey at Geraldton, then it's only about 5 hours on from there. We stayed in Denham which is just a short drive from Monkey Mia, and are planning to go again, it's a great place for a really chilled out week or so.

Hi, Thanks for the info. Is it possible to drive up and back in about 4 days? Perhaps we're being unrealistic as to how far it is... especially travelling with children.

It's about a 10 hour drive from Rockingham, which is about 40 mins south of Perth - so yes you could do it - but it would be better to give it a few days longer. We did it in 2 easy 5 hour drives. And they have speed cops in planes up there!

10 hours...thought it would be more like 8. Did you consider flying? We did but I'm not good on planes. Where did you break the journey? Did you stay over half way? If so, where? Any info would be greatly received.

Guest justinesteell

We are heading up tomorrow and are staying in Kalbarri which is a great holiday destination for 5 days then heading up to monkey mia for just 2 days. We are also travelling with kids. I think monkey mia total travel time is about 8 hours. As for flights they are expensive at about $400 each way per person.

Guest Julier320

Hi there, we went to Monkey Mia back in 2005 and I have to say - although it is very nice, I have been to nicer places. Coral bay (although a bit further) did it for me! We found Monkey Mia great if you wanna see the dolphins, but apart from the one person they chose to feed one, you are not allowed anywhere near them. We also stayed in a backpackers lodge (not sure why, but we did). As far as the kids are concerned I guess it depends how old they are, the journey is very long and arduous. I cannot believe how excited we were to see another vehicle and to see a road train for the first time is really cool. Lots of road kill, also goats and big birds. I would suggest you have lots of games you can play, the alphabet game kept us busy on the journey. Oh and yes watch out for the cops - even that far from anywhere they can still catch you , as I learnt when we were there! The only other thing you might want to bear in mind is to check with your car hire company that you are allowed to take your car up there, we found out on our return that we werent supposed to go so far north! (We went to Exmouth diving) Hope you enjoy your trip -Julie

• 3 years later...
Guest MnJ2012

Hi

Can anyone advise whether it's better to stay in Denham or Monkey Mia? I here the resort can be noisy at night when it's busy.

Thanks

Hi we travelled from Perth to monkey Mia on our reckie trip a couple of years ago. It took around 10+ with breaks and lunch un Geraldton, it's an amazing drive up there. We stayed at the dolphin resort, saw dolphins everyday, I was in the sea on day and the next thing I knew I was getting nudged by a dolphin, mum and baby were playing around me :) came face to face with a emu who tried getting in our room lol

Saw loads more dolphins on a catamaran trip and turtles and dugons, the aquarium in sharks bay is worth going to. We stayed 4 nights and loved it up there. On the way back we took the ocean road and stopped in Cervantes for the night and went to see the pinnacle dessert.

It's well worth the long trip :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Langy

We used to go every easter for 3 years. Loved it. It took about 9 hours from the Northern Suburbs if you just get up early, miss the traffic and go. You can do 115km/h (in a 110) on the cruise control and the cops don't blink. Brief stops at roadhouses for food, drink and a pee. The water is ultra cold in winter in the bay 'cos it doesn't get the Leeuwin current to warm it up. It's fine at easter after a warm summer though. We always stayed here http://baylodge.info/ it's owned by Brummies and the bayfront apartments are fine, functional, but fine. Much better value than the Monkey Mia resort. Three nights, two days is the minimum but you'll enjoy it.

Guest themanns

10 hours from Rockingham? Took us a lot longer than that... Wouldn't even think of doing the drive now I have 2 young children. Fly up defo. drive is sooooo boring. Monkey Mia is lovely.. I fed the dolphins wild ones come in to shore.. Don't expect a big complex it is a very natural place. Was good but weather is best when warm!

Guest Langy

The air temps will be lovely in October, it's pretty lovely all year round. The water was bitterly cold when we went in July and was positively balmy when we went at Easter. I imagine it won't be too warm in the water in October, but never having been there at that time of year I'm always willing to be proven wrong. We found that due to the absence of the Leeuwin Current pushing warm water around it does need higher air temps to get it warm (ie a summer).

There's loads of camping in Monkey Mia and Denham but the Monkey Mia campsite fills up really quickly.