Anybody going to the Opportunities Overseas Expo?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ged1967

we went to it in Aberdeen it wasn't what we were expecting only a few Aussie stands, mostly canada. the commonwealth bank was informative. and the talk about visa was ok (but we dont need that type of visa and there was no time for individual Q&As)

Hope the London Expo was better - I'm sure it would have been

We went to the one in Manchester last weekend. Thought it was quite poor and not worth the money. I think if your at the start of the process or just thinking about going it may be useful but as we are well on with our application it wasnt really useful.

Parking at the gmex/Manchester Central is a nightmare as well. So if you go to one, factor in that it will cost you at least another 6 quid for 2 hours worth of parking.

Seems like a common theme. I agree with skit78 London was poor as well.

It was sold on all the websites as a recruitment expo which was why we went but apart from a couple of Trades recruiters there wasn't anything. Oh unless you were a Marine Geo physicist with a first class degree from Oxford and and phd in subsea exploration and pipe laying!!! I forgot to take my certificate with me so that one was out :wink:

Even the seminar by WA government was all stuff we'd heard before.

Oh well you live and learn I guess!

Seems like a common theme. I agree with skit78 London was poor as well.

It was sold on all the websites as a recruitment expo which was why we went but apart from a couple of Trades recruiters there wasn't anything. Oh unless you were a Marine Geo physicist with a first class degree from Oxford and and phd in subsea exploration and pipe laying!!! I forgot to take my certificate with me so that one was out :wink:

Even the seminar by WA government was all stuff we'd heard before.

Oh well you live and learn I guess!

Completely agree. I went to an Engineering special. They were all looking for an exact skill set so they could just pick you up and get you to build their next generation LNG plant with no training or investment whatsoever. I took lots of CVs. I managed to give away two after pushing.

WA government take you through the points process. If you know this, then its a waste of time.

They certainly shouldn't be charging for events like these.

Guest ged1967

Well its good to know it wasn't just Aberdeen that was poor. We were £12.50 paid a few days before but could have been as little as £10 a few weeks before. Wouldn't go again - Tho we should be in Perth before then. Well OH has a date, waiting for it in writing, but house here needs to sell before I can realistically can move. How long will that take in this climate? Anyone want a 2 up, 2 down in Aberdeen? :ssign7:

We went to Manchester last weekend also......not what we thought it would be, went with cv's etc and came home with them all! Talk on visa's etc was no good for us as knew all info and only a police check away from visa's. agree it was more geared up for Canada