bills- what have i forgotten?

poppops

Hi

I am trying to work out what our bills may be per month, I have a list of the basic- gas, electric, water, car etc. What other bills are there. Do I really need car insurance? We will be renting for as little time as possible as we want to buy mortgage free. Are there any comparison site like here in the UK.

Many thanks

Hi

I am trying to work out what our bills may be per month, I have a list of the basic- gas, electric, water, car etc. What other bills are there. Do I really need car insurance? We will be renting for as little time as possible as we want to buy mortgage free. Are there any comparison site like here in the UK.

Many thanks

I have sent you a private message.

Also have a read through this thread and the other one in there it links to in order to get some more ideas on budgetary headings. http://www.perthpoms.com/forum/money-finance/8247-cost-living-2.html

Some ongoing bills could be health care related, i.e. private cover or just go with Medicare, dental care which you can purchase separately, pet insurance if you need that, mobile phones, landline if you go with one and Internet costs. One offs not to forget include state tax costs to cover buying a car and a house.

Not sure what you mean about really needing car insurance. If you put a car on the road then you will need some level of insurance. Also start up / arrival costs are another list of things you probably need to compile, e.g. the time of arrival until moving into the house. Again if you read through the site at some other threads you will see that some people say $10k and others as much as $20k depending on your lifestyle and how much you take on the never, never (debt).

Just google comparison sites in Australia and you will get a few back in the search.

Edited by StraighttothePoint

Guest pommybob

If you don't have ambulance cover and you need one in an emergency it will cost you $850...ouch!

Private medical care and dental cover is very important.

When we arrived in Perth we went through $20K in a matter of weeks of arriving. Costs such as rental home bond, rent, purchasing of furniture as we didn't pay for ours to be shipped, buying a car, car insurance (bring your no claims proof if you have any) school uniforms, school books (which cost a small fortune and the school don't provide these)....the list is endless.

Due diligence is key to a good start in Aus.

Good luck!

Cheers. ok as this is all new to us, Medicare- is that enough or do you need private medical as well

Entirely up to you. Depends on family size, previous medical history, job type, personal view on privitised services, level of risk you are prepared to take, etc, etc.

We only have Medicare as do a swathe of people in Australia. We pay Medicare levy (small percentage of our income via annual tax returns) to cover that but we do have private dental (family $500 per annum) that includes amubulance cover. Dental costs here are very expensive and too much to pay up front hence that cover. Ambulance is included in the cover as a free extra.

Assuming you do not need private health cover as part of any visa application then you just need to research Medicare and private health cover and make a decision. Comparing private health care providers is fun though because they all sound different but in essence much of a muchness but all with different fee structures. Again google private health care cover and get something back via that search.

Also depending on your visa type or if you have PR then you may be eligible for family support payments via Centrelink. Like Child benefit payments. All based on income and decreases depending how much your household income is.

To start all this research have a look at these links.

http://www.humanservices.gov.au/customer/information/centrelink-website?utm_id=7 Family / Child payments with links to Medicare as well.

http://www.hbf.com.au/ Example of a Private Health Care provider with links on the site to Dental Cover.

Another decision is that it may be worthwhile considering using one company for all your insurance needs, e.g. building cover, contents cover, health care if you opt for that, dental and car, so you could wait until you get here and start that when you are buying your house. Just a thought.