Flights booked, no going back now!!

taylors4

Booked flights today for 7th June, so much to do though, gotta get the house rented out, decide what we are shipping and ...... do we bring the car - we are undecided - £5K to ship it is steep in anyone's book, but will it be worth it??? BMW 3 series 2006 worth about £7,500 here ....... any suggestions? After looking online it seems we won't get a decent family saloon for under $10,000.

Think we have decided on a large Movecube, bringing all kitchen stuff, washer, dryer small beer fridge and a tall freezer (only because they are only a few months old), personal stuff, 6 leather dining room chairs (will buy the table again from Ikea, not much price difference in WA). Will buy some new towels etc, not sure about bedding as not bringing beds. We are going to sell our 2 leather 2 seater sofa's and our 3 x 2 seater sofas before we come, are we making a mistake doing this?? Not bringing much else really apart from bikes and kids toys etc.

Will we survive? We are going to live with family initially until we can get a rental sorted and of course a job!!!

Excited but very nervous - we might be committing financial suicide - oh well onwards and upwards.

If there is anything else we should really bring, can you let us know?? Thanks in advance

Hi, we are flying out on 27th May so going through the same - financially probably not the best move but doing it for the sake of our family life and kids' futures. We have decided against taking our car which is worth about the same as yours, we are selling ours and putting the money towards a new one over there. We are taking pretty much all our furniture apart from fridge and TV which are both old. Where are you staying to begin with?

We are going to family in Mandurah and will take it from there, how's about you? How old are your kids, we have a girl 13 and boy 10, both are really excited, just hope it lives up to their expectations, last time we went we were on holiday, so they saw the good side of life in Oz!! Here's hoping its going to be a good move, but hey ho, just looking on it as an adventure (albeit an expensive one)!

If you've got space in the container, I'd bring the car and the sofas. You can always sell anything that doesn't fit your new lifestyle and for probably more than you'd get for it in the UK. Edit. If you're bringing the beamer, I'd bring brake pads, filters, wipers etc

Edited by Rivera

If you've got space in the container, I'd bring the car and the sofas. You can always sell anything that doesn't fit your new lifestyle and for probably more than you'd get for it in the UK. Edit. If you're bringing the beamer, I'd bring brake pads, filters, wipers etc

Yep, we're looking into a self pack container now, so hopefully will be able to bring them - just all so expensive shipping, but at least it will save us when we get over ......

Hi Taylors4.... love the expression of "financial suicide"! Seriously though migration anywhere is certainly that, but you just have to do a bit of damage limitation along the way I guess.

My personal suggestion is that you bring whatever you can fit into your cube/container. If you get here and don't need it, you can always sell it on ebay or Gumtree, but why pay for empty space. We had a whole container and brought everything we could working on the basis that it would help the kids to have familiar things around them so it helped in the resettling. It depends on the age and quality of your furniture and possessions of course so it is a very personal choice.

Can't comment about brining the car though, but be aware that secondhand cars in Oz are dearer than UK. Having said that, if you bring a European made car, you might want to bring some general spares with you as I understand they cost a fortune here.

Good Luck with the move.... Keep us all posted on what you decide to do as it will be helpful for those following you...

Hi Taylors4.

If you thinking of shipping your car out there's a thread on the Poms in Oz forum. A company who ship cars can tell you if it'd be financially viable to take your car or sell it before you go.

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/transport-shipping/97053-transporting-your-car-oz-everything-you-need-know.html

You'll need to give them a few more details about the car. My car wasn't worth taking :sad:

Hi Taylors4.... love the expression of "financial suicide"! Seriously though migration anywhere is certainly that, but you just have to do a bit of damage limitation along the way I guess.

My personal suggestion is that you bring whatever you can fit into your cube/container. If you get here and don't need it, you can always sell it on ebay or Gumtree, but why pay for empty space. We had a whole container and brought everything we could working on the basis that it would help the kids to have familiar things around them so it helped in the resettling. It depends on the age and quality of your furniture and possessions of course so it is a very personal choice.

Can't comment about brining the car though, but be aware that secondhand cars in Oz are dearer than UK. Having said that, if you bring a European made car, you might want to bring some general spares with you as I understand they cost a fortune here.

Good Luck with the move.... Keep us all posted on what you decide to do as it will be helpful for those following you...[/QU

Thanks Rossmoyne, we are certainly looking into bringing everything we can now. Just to get us going really, we have found a cheaper way of shipping than we originally thought so are going to give self packing a container a go - so instead of paying £3,500 brings it down to £2,100, which is a huge difference. Will certainly keep posting how we are going and what it all costs us!

Getting excited now, job situation is looking more positive - the only way is up!!

Thanks for that Redsquare, we have been in touch with the company you mention and they thought it was worth bringing, so as its so reliable, and actually reallly like the car, we thought we would bring it - it costs though just shy of £5K ish to ship, but it looks that perhaps wouldn't make a great deal if we sold it, at least we know what we've got. We can just buy a banger then to start us off when we arrive (as we will need 2 cars) this can then be replaced at a later date when/if we have some money!!

Thanks for the heads up