The Bare Minimum - no container needed

TheReids

Morning Folks,

My wife and I should hopefully be making the move to sunny Perth within the next 6 months.

At present we live in rented accommodation in the UK but we have quite a lot of our own furniture. Most of our stuff is Ikea or Argos though so don't think it'd justify the cost of using a shipping company or container when we can just replace our furniture once we're in Australia.

The plan is to sell most of our belongings before we leave the UK and only send personal effects (CD's picture frames, ornaments, etc) to Australia.

Can anyone recommend any CHEAP seamail companies? Also, where would I send my stuff to? Seems like a daft question but we plan on a short term let for the first month or so before moving to a more long term let!

Any help much appreciated!!

Hey check out seven seas, the do something called a move cube. We too aren't talking furniture and we will be using these guys to ship out personal effects. :)

Hi, the move cube looks like just the thing for us, have you had any quotes from them yet?

I do have a email somewhere, from what I remember the largest one was just over £1000 and you have customs clearance in top at the other end :)

I had a quick look at seven seas move cube last week. You can put in what items you would be shipping and they give you an online quote. I think I listed 5 large boxes, 5 regular boxes, a surfboard, 2 golf bags, 3 guitars, five bikes, a 52 tv and 32 tv from channels isl. to perth and the quote was £880.

Edited by Lou8670

• 4 weeks later...
Hi, I know this isn't the right thread but do UK TV's work in Aus? We are just at the beginning of the visa process and are going through all the same questions about taking own stuff over cos we have ikea furniture etc. Cheers Kirsty

By coincidence it has recently been discussed. Here is a link the thread from earlier this month that covered the TV issue. http://www.perthpoms.com/forum/transport-shipping/11096-uk-tvs.html

• 4 weeks later...
Hi we arrived October last year and did not bring all our stuff buts defo not cheap here at all

I was going to say that Joanne .... don't underestimate the cost of kitting out a house again, we brought a 20ft container but still needed extra furniture, white goods etc.

Hello

We had a very hard time trying to decide if it was worth bringing everything or just a few things. The poor removers came out three times as we could not make up our minds. Then after thinking it through logically, we have decided to take everything, other than plates and mugs. The container is costing us £4,000 and it seemed like a lot of money, but when we started to look at the cost of new out in Oz and we only wanted it in the short term, we knew we could not kit the house out temporarily for £4,000 or even close and also I decided that the stress of finding schools, a long term rental, two cars and then to furnish a whole house in eight weeks was just too much pressure, I am panicking just about everything at the moment, so to take a bit of stress off is always good. Then when we decide on our home, and as we will be earning the Oz Dollar I can then furnish the house with new stuff but brought because I like them and have time to chose not because I am in a rush to fill an empty house. As previously advised on here, someone mentioned about the excitement you feel when your container is delivered and you see all your old stuff. Then any of our old stuff that is still in good condition we can sell or give away when the time comes. Good luck with everything. Sarah

Guest guest9824
Hello

We had a very hard time trying to decide if it was worth bringing everything or just a few things. The poor removers came out three times as we could not make up our minds. Then after thinking it through logically, we have decided to take everything, other than plates and mugs. The container is costing us £4,000 and it seemed like a lot of money, but when we started to look at the cost of new out in Oz and we only wanted it in the short term, we knew we could not kit the house out temporarily for £4,000 or even close and also I decided that the stress of finding schools, a long term rental, two cars and then to furnish a whole house in eight weeks was just too much pressure, I am panicking just about everything at the moment, so to take a bit of stress off is always good. Then when we decide on our home, and as we will be earning the Oz Dollar I can then furnish the house with new stuff but brought because I like them and have time to chose not because I am in a rush to fill an empty house. As previously advised on here, someone mentioned about the excitement you feel when your container is delivered and you see all your old stuff. Then any of our old stuff that is still in good condition we can sell or give away when the time comes. Good luck with everything. Sarah

Hi SJT we brought everything with us, granted the container was paid for by work but I'm so glad we had all our stuff shipped. It was in good condition, I look after things, but it was the fact that when it arrived it was like Christmas, opening all the boxes, and having stuff that was our own it made it easier to adapt and adjust having familiar things around us. The only stuff we have bought since is garden furniture as there is such a huge range here,plus stuff for the pool etc, but everything else all the kids ikea beds etc ( which are much dearer here) came with us.

Happy packing.

I must admit we felt that way too when the container arrived - for the kids in particular having familiar things around them was very settling (particularly in their rooms), we had to buy my son a bed pretty quickly as in the UK it was a built in cabin bed and couldn't be brought - we ended up rush buying for something to sleep on ... also we didn't know the best places to shop.