Better subrub better for kids

This article was in the West Australian this morning. May help people with the decision about where to live. Research indicates forget the beach and big house - go with the best neighborhood for schools.

Children benefit from living in affluent or "good" areas even if they do not grow up in a wealthy family and an expensive house, a study has revealed.

According to researchers from Curtin University's Centre for Labour Market Research, the old real estate catchcry of getting the worst house on the best street also applies to childhood development.

Lead researcher Michael Dockery said that while it was true children born into wealthier and better-educated families did slightly better on average, many children from low socioeconomic households had above-average outcomes.

"The main way children benefit from being of a higher socioeconomic background is through living in a better neighbourhood, rather than a bigger or nicer house," he said.

"Neighbourhood conditions like it being safe and good play spaces, as well as quality of schools in the area, especially contribute to better physical and learning outcomes."

Jard and Libby Collett, who have two young sons, moved into their Mosman Park unit a few months ago.

"We downgraded from a bigger, better house to live in a smaller unit in a good neighbourhood," Mr Collett said.

"We were drawn to the area because of the low crime rate, the nice surrounds and the good public schools - those things are important to us."

This article was in the West Australian this morning. May help people with the decision about where to live. Research indicates forget the beach and big house - go with the best neighborhood for schools.

Blooming heck I have been preaching that for ages on here like a mantra!!:biggrin: I know - smart xxse!! :biggrin:

Living near better infrastructure and suburbs with good quality schools far outweighs living "near the beach" in my book. Obviously if you afford it all, then good luck to you go for it but if you need to make some smart choices and are budgeting then don't fall into the "I am going to Oz and I need to be by the beach" trap. It is not necessary. Most of us, even those out towards the hills, are close to beaches because they are everywhere. Also think winter and most of us are never on them between late May and October. Seaweed, freezing winds and crashing waves.

Buy near the beach and then add on tens of thousands to your purchase cost, increase your rental costs substantially and then not having some leeway in your budget to pay for it all. Nope think smart, think kids education and think about getting to and from work easily. Far more important especially now the way this city is going.

As I say though if you afford it and possibly if you do not have commute or schooling concerns then go for it.

Blooming heck I have been preaching that for ages on here like a mantra!!:biggrin: I know - smart xxse!! :biggrin:

Living near better infrastructure and suburbs with good quality schools far outweighs living "near the beach" in my book. Obviously if you afford it all, then good luck to you go for it but if you need to make some smart choices and are budgeting then don't fall into the "I am going to Oz and I need to be by the beach" trap. It is not necessary. Most of us, even those out towards the hills, are close to beaches because they are everywhere. Also think winter and most of us are never on them between late May and October. Seaweed, freezing winds and crashing waves.

Buy near the beach and then add on tens of thousands to your purchase cost, increase your rental costs substantially and then not having some leeway in your budget to pay for it all. Nope think smart, think kids education and think about getting to and from work easily. Far more important especially now the way this city is going.

As I say though if you afford it and possibly if you do not have commute or schooling concerns then go for it.

Mmm and what are units going for at Mossy Park

Precisely why we love Freo (The gun crime capital of WA).

It's a pretty good area for us, kids love it and the 'crime' is mainly due to weekend hoons but TBH we wander through Freo late at the weekend with the kids and never seen anything to worry about.

Those 'good' suburbs; Mossy Park, PG, etc are just too pretentious for me and I'm not sure I agree entirely with the article if that's where it's suggesting we should live. The walled palaces in those areas are hardly conducive to social interaction and I hardly see any kids out playing on the streets or walking to school. Where's the developmental value in driving the kids to school in the Porsche?

That said, we moved out of London mainly for the kids. Being mugged at knifepoint by three under 15's a few years ago made me fear for my children.

SttP has it right for me; find somewhere where the facilities, infrastructure and lifestyle meet your daily needs. Living near the beach has short term, limited appeal and what's the point if it's miles from anything and your kids have no one to play with?