Break Lease- what to do???

roxy

Okay so we've been in our rental for 12 months this week & we re-signed our contract for another 12 months. Now here's my question..How does breaking your lease work? How should we approach it? Does it affect our reference? Should we secure a new property first then tell the agents we plan to leave?

Reason being that we are expecting a baby in November.. We're on 457 visas but all being well we are hoping for our PR before Xmas... We didn't want to move in between all these things going on .. But the area we live in is really not great and we're not happy with what we are paying for it. We're happy to move further out- favouring Butler or Ellenbrook... I just want to feel safe while I'm off with bub!

Any advice? :)

I would find somewhere else first, then notify your agent, you will remain responsible for the rent until a new tenant is found, they may also charge you advertising costs. Many people advertise their lease break on here and our sister site, you then approach the agent with the potential new tenant who then will need to supply references etc., and it is then up to the agent if they accept them.