489 Visa

Coco67

Hi Guys,

We are in the process of a 489 Visa and had lodged an EOI to WA in the hope that hubbys job would be back on SOL List when it got updated supposedly 1st October 2013, but have today spoke to our Agent who has said she is not sure when it will be and that come December and January processing goes very slow as alot of people go off on holiday and also xmas period. We had also lodged an EOI for South Australia too in August just in case hubbys job title did not come back on the WA Skills List!!

Now the dilemma is do we carry on with SA visa or do we wait for WA list to be updated, if it does not, then we will have wasted more time waiting or do we carry on to SA??And if we do and don't like it there/cannot settle/cannot get jobs etc etc does anyone know if we can then transfer to WA on a 489 Provisional Visa in the first 2 years or what other options we would have in that situation??

All advice/information/personal experience would be much appreciated as I feel like I am going nowhere fast and the last 18 months of stress/sleepness nights/money spent have been a total waste for us!! :arghh:

I'd get the PR visa for SA then you have a stable start rather than the uncertainty of a 489 provisional visa.

If SA really doesn't work for you or you can't find work you can move to WA with the benefit of living/working anywhere not just regional.

The state sponsorship is a moral agreement as it currently stands but check with an agent before committing to this path to ensure the rules haven't changed

The above advice would only be for if you were on a 190 visa.

As a holder of provisional SA visa, yes you can move states but as it states on SA website you should inform them that you are moving then inform WA. But you will still need to work in the regional areas that comply with the conditions if your visa until you are granted the 887. Therefore you can not work anywhere in WA, just same postcodes that you would have been able to with WA sponsorship.

The 489 state nominated visas come with the 8539 condition - must live work and study in regional Australia.

The above advice would only be for if you were on a 190 visa.

As a holder of provisional SA visa, yes you can move states but as it states on SA website you should inform them that you are moving then inform WA. But you will still need to work in the regional areas that comply with the conditions if your visa until you are granted the 887. Therefore you can not work anywhere in WA, just same postcodes that you would have been able to with WA sponsorship.

The 489 state nominated visas come with the 8539 condition - must live work and study in regional Australia.

Indeed a 489 is regional, I was suggesting the 190 for extra security and flexibility should their occupation go back on the SOL or is for SA.

I have seen a lot of 489ers recently get stuck in regional WA and not found a job other than some in non-regional areas

Indeed a 489 is regional, I was suggesting the 190 for extra security and flexibility should their occupation go back on the SOL or is for SA.

I have seen a lot of 489ers recently get stuck in regional WA and not found a job other than some in non-regional areas

There is a points issue - this is why they are applying for 489 over 190. Even if their occupation was to go back on WA State list 190 still would not be an option.

Hi Guys,thanks for your replies yes the 190 would be so much easier but we cannot get the extra points thats why we are now applying for 489, so Dyle are you saying we could move to WA if we wanted to from SA on a 489 visa and if so how much time would we need to spend in SA the whole 2 years get the PR then move to WA?

Coco

I am a Provisional visa holder; can you tell me how to apply for permanency?

Immigration SA is not involved in the second (permanent) stage of this visa (subclass 887) and cannot advise you on whether you qualify for permanency. DIAC is solely responsible for this matter. You can contact DIAC via their website: http://www.immi.gov.auhttps://www.migration.sa.gov.au/faq

There is no set time - all you need to do is keep to the conditions of your visa, therefore living and working in regional Australia.

Hi Guys,thanks for your replies yes the 190 would be so much easier but we cannot get the extra points thats why we are now applying for 489, so Dyle are you saying we could move to WA if we wanted to from SA on a 489 visa and if so how much time would we need to spend in SA the whole 2 years get the PR then move to WA?

Coco

I would run this past your agent rather than the DIAC as the DIAC are not required to give correct advice and there have been loads of people over my time on here that have found themselves in problems after following incorrect DIAC advice.

One of the big things you need to consider with the 489 is the regional aspect and your chances of finding employment in what you do in a regional area.

Guest guest10912
Hi Guys,

We are in the process of a 489 Visa and had lodged an EOI to WA in the hope that hubbys job would be back on SOL List when it got updated supposedly 1st October 2013, but have today spoke to our Agent who has said she is not sure when it will be and that come December and January processing goes very slow as alot of people go off on holiday and also xmas period. We had also lodged an EOI for South Australia too in August just in case hubbys job title did not come back on the WA Skills List!!

Now the dilemma is do we carry on with SA visa or do we wait for WA list to be updated, if it does not, then we will have wasted more time waiting or do we carry on to SA??And if we do and don't like it there/cannot settle/cannot get jobs etc etc does anyone know if we can then transfer to WA on a 489 Provisional Visa in the first 2 years or what other options we would have in that situation??

All advice/information/personal experience would be much appreciated as I feel like I am going nowhere fast and the last 18 months of stress/sleepness nights/money spent have been a total waste for us!! :arghh:

Just check the SA sponsorship process. I thought WA is unique in wanting applicants to just tick them on the EOI, but for other states this is not enough, they might expect you to proactively apply, not just express interest.