Shark warning

portlaunay

Hi Portlaunay, for the last few weeks I have been looking at the Surf Life Saving website as it shows all the shark sightings and when the beaches are shut and I was surprised how many spottings there have been over the last two weeks. We were on the beach today when the helicopter kept going back and forth and we did jokingly say do you think its trying to spot a shark!!! Obviously when I got home and checked the surf life website it had said a shark had attacked and they were trying to find it.

There have been a few spotted just off Rockingham the last two weeks as well. Luckily i don't go in the water, other than maybe to paddle. Just as I was writing the last post, loud scream came from bathroom as eldest had found a rather unusual spider on the bathroom floor. Now why did I move from one of the safest places on earth to here!!!!!! Sometimes the animals can get a bit scary, we also came across our first baby brown snake (which was came away from very quickly I hasten to add) the other day.

Guest guest9824
There have been a few spotted just off Rockingham the last two weeks as well. Luckily i don't go in the water, other than maybe to paddle. Just as I was writing the last post, loud scream came from bathroom as eldest had found a rather unusual spider on the bathroom floor. Now why did I move from one of the safest places on earth to here!!!!!! Sometimes the animals can get a bit scary, we also came across our first baby brown snake (which was came away from very quickly I hasten to add) the other day.

Apologies SJT, but I've just posted a piccy of a huntsman who frequents my washing line area...bet you won't want to visit the hills anymore:shocked:

Guest guest9824
Pea

I am sort of intrigued as to what they look like to be honest. But when we have been out to Yanchep and Serpertine falls I was paranoid what was going to "jump" out next.

SJT, they are quite dosile....they don't bother you, if you don't bother them. The one on the washing line/gate was only noticeable because OH was cutting the ivy, and probably disturbed mr huntsman!:biggrin:

Havent seen a huntsman yet, but gutted if I can be truthful. Hate spiders but kind of respectful for the ones here. Have put a few small brown ones out of the house. Wont kill them unless red back.

I follow the twitter feed for the westpac helicopters. Very informative along with the DFC(??) for the bushfires.

Thanks for this Port, this is our local beach.

Edited by linda@no9

Huntsman spiders are beautiful creatures not so sure about sharks. Won't forget one of the last nipper sessions at Mandurah Surf Life Saving last season when 2 dolphins came to play around us all in the water, awesome !!

Our first trip to Serpentine I carried a ref back around on my back for 5 mins before the missus spotted it, must have dropped from a tree when I stopped to photograph a roo !

Guest guest9824

...did anyone see the whales caught up in the shark nets, on the news this morning! Brings into question the use of shark nets again, when creatures like whales and dolphins get caught in them!, but it seems a necessity? Must admit, not much of a beach fan, freckles and fair skin and all that, and swimming in the sea, just seems like a no no now. I do like a paddle at rockingham on the foreshore there, always seems quite safe, and shallow.

Edited by guest9824
wrong wording...

I won't be doing any skinny dipping that's for sure.

Only seen tiddler spiders so far. Just brought some washing in off of the line and there was one of there and it ran up my OH's neck. He would be on his own if it was a huntsman. I kind of want to see one, but don't if you know what I mean.

Re the sharks nets. Personally, I think we are going into their habitat. They live in the sea, we don't. Perhaps the tagging would be a better idea so if a shark comes within range, they can warn everyone. Really not sure, not lived here long enough to make a solid judgement, but it is certainly not good that people are now being seriously injured or killed.

Guest guest9824
I won't be doing any skinny dipping that's for sure.

Only seen tiddler spiders so far. Just brought some washing in off of the line and there was one of there and it ran up my OH's neck. He would be on his own if it was a huntsman. I kind of want to see one, but don't if you know what I mean.

Re the sharks nets. Personally, I think we are going into their habitat. They live in the sea, we don't. Perhaps the tagging would be a better idea so if a shark comes within range, they can warn everyone. Really not sure, not lived here long enough to make a solid judgement, but it is certainly not good that people are now being seriously injured or killed.

The shark nets seem to be a bit of a necessity but at a cost to other ocean dwellers, not sure what the answer is really. As you say, its their domain, and therefore there is always a risk being in their domain.

I think if you go into the ocean the sharks are just another hazard you need to be aware of. They're truly extraordinary creatures and get a bad rap because let's face it, being attacked by a 3+m White Pointer would be horrific but as has been said, we are in their world and I for one probably look like a pretty tasty and plentiful meal.

Guest guest9824
I think if you go into the ocean the sharks are just another hazard you need to be aware of. They're truly extraordinary creatures and get a bad rap because let's face it, being attacked by a 3+m White Pointer would be horrific but as has been said, we are in their world and I for one probably look like a pretty tasty and plentiful meal.

Think I would be sharks idea of 'all you can eat buffet' too! Voluptuous, we are!:biggrin: