Photography in Perth

GrantandLinds

Hi All

My partner and I are looking to move to Perth from the UK. One of his passions is photography and is looking at making a career from it.

Please can anyone advise if there are many photographers in Perth for different occasions such as weddings, events, family or pet portraits, product photography etc.

also do you know of any qualifications required to work as a photographer in Oz.

thanks

Lindsay

:smile:

Don't know about the qualifications, but there are like anywhere lots of photographers around who do family, formal, informal portraits, weddings etc., I don't think it's something you could get a visa for, but certainly a business opportunity, like most things, it'll probably be word of mouth or developing a portfolio in order to get a job with a studio to get experience.

Sorry, I gave the impression it was easy to arrive with a portfolio .. but it's not that simple - You need a visa first and unless photographer is on the skills lists you won't get one - you will need to look at which visa you qualify for and then look into what the assessment involves, most require some experience so it may not necessarily mean doing a 3 year course but the course plus experience. If Photographer isn't on any list you won't be able to get sponsorship either - and to get sponsorship from a company they need to prove to immigration that they can't find someone in Australia to do it. I know for example that photography is offered in some High Schools as a option from year 9, so those with a keen interest will progress afterwards towards other qualifications. I would imagine photography is quite a competitive market. The lists change all the time, a couple of years ago Hairdressing (which had been on the list for a few years was removed).

No, I understand its not as easy as turning up with a portfolio, and we also understand we need a visa 1st. We're just exploring avenues at the moment and as photography is my passion wondered if that was an option. I think we need to speak to a professional about career paths based on our current jobs. And thanks again?

• 5 years later...
2 hours ago, mike beltrametti said:

Hi GrantandLinds

If you are looking for photographers in Perth for different occasions such as weddings, events, family or pet portraits, product photography etc. then Mike Beltrametti is offering great services in Perth, Australia.

You may want to look at our business/advertising guidelines