Laine

That's the question...I was under the impression we had to move by April, but after contacting agency in Perth, I am unsure so re-emailed to clarify. I have been told that once we move, we need to then re-apply for another PR visa before it expires to enable us to travel in/out of Ozz. In effect we must live in Ozz for 2 years under this visa.

Laine...what are the dates on your visa?

On a PR visa you usually have 1 year from Pcc or medical (whichever is earlier) to enter Australia (but this can be a short holiday) and 5 years to make the move. Once your visa has expired, providing you're in Australia when it expires, you need a resident return visa to leave and come back, even for a short holiday outside Oz; unless you already have your citizenship. :biggrin:

Lou

Hello laine. Good luck with the move. We are planning to move in October, also on PR. We had the same question in our minds about what happens when visa expires, so would be interesting to know what your agency say. My understanding was what Lou8670 has said. How's the move prep going?

Hi Jai, apparently when the visa expires you only have to re-apply for the PR if you wish to travel in/out of Oz other than that no problem...just apply for Citizenship. The company we used in Oz told us we need to live in Oz 2 out of the 5 years the PR is valid for, now I hear this is not the case...we can move out anytime during those 5 years. I need to ensure this is correct or we may not move in time. As far as the move prep, errr slow to be honest as I want to know everything is ok. I have the dog booked in this week to get his passport and jabs ready but I hear Perth quarantine has closed so looks like he will have a long journey poor lad (he's my fur kid!). Where are you moving to, any ideas?

Hi Laine, I read in DIBP website that for the citizenship you must be living there for the last 1 year when you apply. Other than that there was nothing regarding the first 4 years. But this was some time ago. Anyway, I'm not worried about the citizenship thing right now. Just wondering about our pr. I asked this to our agent said, she said we must live in WA for 2 years and then we can relocate if we want to. I'll ask her again to clarify if we need to renew our pr later.

I think the way it works is your visa is valid for 5 years(you have to validate within one year), after this time if you want to leave to go on holiday etc you have to apply for a return resident visa so you will be able to re-enter the country. To qualify for the RR visa you have to have been living in Australia for two years. The other option is to apply for citizenship after living in Oz for 4 years and then you dont need the RR visa.

Hi all,

Heard back this morning, our 5 year visa expires 2016...this was the reply, so Nikki is right:

you have to apply for Resident Return Subclass 155 / 157 See link: http://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/155-157.aspx

You will only need to apply for permanent residency all over again if you are outside Australia, cannot relocate to Australia before April 2016 and cannot meet the requirements for the Resident Return Subclass 155 / 157.

In essence, we can go anytime during this 5 year period (which sure helps us) this means our oldest can finish university, we can sell our house and wont leave work in chaos. I can now breath, talk about stressing.