Sponsorship in construction

Builder Dave

Hi

i had until this week left it in my wife's hands, thinking she could sort it but it seems she had received some bad advice. I will now be going down that route. I'm always so busy my self I thought it would be easier to let her handle it. I'm currently holidaying in Perth ( Mindarie ) getting a feel for the place. Bit hot but I'm getting to like it.

Hi Dave

My husband is a carpenter and we have just been granted our skilled visa 189 a few weeks ago after starting the process in June last year. I'm here if you need any advice. We used a migration agent which does cost a bit, but made the paperwork easier and they were there anytime for advice. We got through on the minimum 60 points.

Good luck and enjoy the sunshine, its just started snowing where we are!

Raychel.

I will be interested to hear the work situation too....

Dave, here is what we did for our visa. You need to go on the immigration website to work out how many points you will get as you stand now, so age, work experience, qualifications etc. You need a minimum of 60 points to apply. My husband then booked an International English Language Test (IELTS) to gain points - this is a 3 1/2 hour test at nominated centres such as universities, and you can book one near to you for approx £125. You have to do a reading, listening, writing and speaking test and you have to revise, it isn't as easy as it sounds. My Hubby got the minimum 10 points for this.

Next step we gathered loads of paperwork to send off to VETASSESS in Aus, who will review your qualifications and work experince to see if you can turn all that into an Australian certificate. The paperwork includes lots of wageslips, references, all your certificates, basically paperwork that proves you can do the job. That is stage 1 with VETASSESS, if you pass this stage, the next step is either a practical assessment in one of the major cities, where you go with a bunch of other carpenters and are assessed doing various tasks. My husband opted for a skype interview with an assessor in australia. He went to Manchester for this and it lasted a couple of hours, asking questions about the trade. The whole VETASSESS process cost a couple of grand. If you pass both these stages you are given a certificate for an Australian qualification and more points towards your visa. Once you have gained the 60 points or more, you can lodge an Expression of Interest (EOI) on the Aus immigration website - you fill in allsorts of info about your application and wait to be invited by immigration to actually apply for your visa. Applying for your visa is a few more grand (including a spouse).

Next steps once you have applied for the visa (if you are invited) are medicals which are over £200 each at a specified hospital in a major city (we did Manchester) then police checks at about £45. Once immigration have all this they will assess your case and should approve all being well. They sometimes ask for other info, we had to prove our relationship was genuine even though we sent them our marriage certificate (we got married in 2005!) and all sorts of paperwork to prove we supported each other financially.

So, it's a complicated process, but just break it down and do it step by step. there's loads of help on these forums.

Hi Dave

When you look at vetassess who do the assessment for carpenters, it does say that years of work experience (and proof of this) may allow you still to be successfully assessed without the qualification. Have you had advice from a migration agent? Many give you an initial free assessment.

I have been advised I can't do the skilled. Migration route as I don't have my NVQ level 3 :(

I have been advised I can't do the skilled. Migration route as I don't have my NVQ level 3 :(

I have the contact details of a guy in Melbourne who acts as an agent to get people through their TRA/ VETASSES. He charges obviously, but he got me through without any problems. I do have my Adv. City & Guilds (old NVQ 3) but I'm sure he'd advise whether you'd pass or not.

Do you want me to send it to you?