TRA/VETASSESS Help Please :(

Amason88

Hi ALL,

New to the forum so hello all.

My current situation is that I haven't started my visa application but am very strongly considering it. I am an electrician and hoping to get a permanent skilled visa. My partner will also be included in my application.

My questions is what is involved with the TRA/Vetassess ? and what's the different between them both if there is any.

Are they compulsory? and does it involve an exam? (I hate exams :( )

Would anyone advise I do this before I start my application process? (will more than likly go thought a migrate agent)

Another question is about the IELTS exams... is this needed if I get enough points from just owning a UK passport? Im English and 25 I don't no any other language other than English lol

Any answers would be very much appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Anthony.

Hi, I would suggest if you are considering using an agent then best to ask them as they can assess where you stand and what you will have to do. Go matilda have a good reputation on here.

You don't need to do the IELTS if you have enough points without doing it. Also the skills assessment needs to be done first before you can do your EOI. Good luck, its seems complicated but once you get your head around it its not too bad.

Edited by nikkiwd

Hi ALL,

New to the forum so hello all.

My current situation is that I haven't started my visa application but am very strongly considering it. I am an electrician and hoping to get a permanent skilled visa. My partner will also be included in my application.

My questions is what is involved with the TRA/Vetassess ? and what's the different between them both if there is any.

Are they compulsory? and does it involve an exam? (I hate exams :( )

Would anyone advise I do this before I start my application process? (will more than likly go thought a migrate agent)

Another question is about the IELTS exams... is this needed if I get enough points from just owning a UK passport? Im English and 25 I don't no any other## language other than English lol

Any answers would be very much appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Anthony.

Hi, I've not needed to go through TRA for the skills migration thing , however I have had to go through TRA to get my skills assessed and obtain an OTSR for work purposes , which is what you will need to do anyway.

TRA are the governing body (based in Aus) of recognising overseas qualifications. You will need to get yourself and your certs accessed by getting an OTSR (Ofshore technical skills record). TRA use a couple of there own RTO'S (registered training organisations) to do this. I went through an RTO called Future Skills international to get my OTSR, another RTO is called Vetaccess.

You fill in all their forms, send off all your photocopied certs etc, then send them a rather large fee. Then you go and do a full day somewhere at one of there trainning places in the UK. A written exam in morning, practical in the afternoon. If all being well you will be issued an OTSR, which you can then use to apply for a provisional license to work in Australia, from a company called Energy safety. The OTSR also allows you to enrole on the two week context gap training course in Aus. After this course you will be given a log book to fill in on jobs. When it is full you will be eligible for an A grade license.

Hope this helps.

Hi, I've not needed to go through TRA for the skills migration thing , however I have had to go through TRA to get my skills assessed and obtain an OTSR for work purposes , which is what you will need to do anyway.

TRA are the governing body (based in Aus) of recognising overseas qualifications. You will need to get yourself and your certs accessed by getting an OTSR (Ofshore technical skills record). TRA use a couple of there own RTO'S (registered training organisations) to do this. I went through an RTO called Future Skills international to get my OTSR, another RTO is called Vetaccess.

You fill in all their forms, send off all your photocopied certs etc, then send them a rather large fee. Then you go and do a full day somewhere at one of there trainning places in the UK. A written exam in morning, practical in the afternoon. If all being well you will be issued an OTSR, which you can then use to apply for a provisional license to work in Australia, from a company called Energy safety. The OTSR also allows you to enrole on the two week context gap training course in Aus. After this course you will be given a log book to fill in on jobs. When it is full you will be eligible for an A grade license.

Hope this helps.

Spot on mate, that's cleared an awful lot up for me. Any ideas on what the day's assessment involves? Is it basically just their regs and stuff?

It depends on the Rto's.They do them up and down the country at different times of the year. Theory is very basic stuff, volt drop calcs etc..then a few on basic circuits like adding resitors in parralel etc. I got a elec calcs book off ebay and worked through that it was easy. Prac is okay, 2 way lighting, ringmain, and test it. I had to wire a direct online starter with a remote start stop so revise that if you're not familiar with it. No regs involved, just had to brush up on testing readings to decide whether what you measured was acceptable. I used Future Skills and the assessor was sound.

Oh i understand now, so the EOI is the initial stage before even being allowed to file for a visa, then once that all sorted the visa should just go straight through. Thanks a lot it has cleared some things up for me :)

The order of the process is 1st skills assessment, 2nd IELTS(if needed), 3rd EOI then wait for an invite. Once they give you the invite to apply, then you fill in the visa application, pay the fee and attach all your evidence. Medicals and police checks are near the end of the process.

The order of the process is 1st skills assessment, 2nd IELTS(if needed), 3rd EOI then wait for an invite. Once they give you the invite to apply, then you fill in the visa application, pay the fee and attach all your evidence. Medicals and police checks are near the end of the process.

The way you have just explained it make me wonder why I thought it was so complicated haha. once the skilled assessment is over its all plain sailing isn't it.

thanks a lot for all the help. I imagine you cant wait to get the perth in may time, exciting time knowing you're only moments away from a new life. :)

The day cant come soon enough.

Spot on mate, that's cleared an awful lot up for me. Any ideas on what the day's assessment involves? Is it basically just their regs and stuff?

The trick is to avoid a lot of the hidden pitfalls along the way. It is easy for example to overclaim points - which leads to a rejection and loss of the money (thousands). There are others such as people not realising a step kid needs permission to leave the country, age has caught people out and a range of other issues