how hard is it to find long term rental at the mo?

janh

Hello.Sorry if this has been answered lots of times! we are coming on my 457 visa and I have a job starting in september.Slightly alarmed at the mention of 18 families looking at each long term rental and wonder if we are going to spend weeks trailing around.We are at a disadvantage as have a dog who is coming with us! and as has been mentioned without a long term rent there is no chance of sorting a school for our 6 yr old who will already have had 8 weeks off UK school! can i be reassured or shall i just continue to panic? thanks all x

Hello.Sorry if this has been answered lots of times! we are coming on my 457 visa and I have a job starting in september.Slightly alarmed at the mention of 18 families looking at each long term rental and wonder if we are going to spend weeks trailing around.We are at a disadvantage as have a dog who is coming with us! and as has been mentioned without a long term rent there is no chance of sorting a school for our 6 yr old who will already have had 8 weeks off UK school! can i be reassured or shall i just continue to panic? thanks all x

We're not quite there yet but lots of people have posted about finding a rental. I think it depends on which area you are looking in; there is more competition for places in some areas. People who have had to compete for a rental have recommended you put together a rental pack containing visa grant, copy passports, references from landlords and personal references etc, copy bank statement proving you can afford the rent, copy of employment contract etc and where it's been really tough people have resorted to offering 6 months rent up front. So there are ways of securing a rental. Certainly there have not been as many posters coming on PP in despair asking for advice as there was a year ago.

Good luck!

Lou

I can give you the Freo perspective.

Anything west of Hampton Road is always going to command high prices and great competition but over the past year there have been fewer people viewing and places that in the past might have been up for $1000pw have come down to $8-850.

Going further inland - White Gum Valley, Beaconsfield, Hilton, O'Connor prices have dropped a little more and the last couple of viewings we went to we were the only ones there.

As for where areas of demand are, that's pretty difficult to answer, it can vary from street to street. Wherever there are supposedly 'good' schools then homes are going to be in greater demand.

Hi there. We arrived in perth last Saturday and viewed about five houses. Yes it is off putting having so many people looking at houses at the same time but if you are a family you are looked upon more favourably than couples and singles, or so wee have found. The agents we spoke to all said the same thing that families are more likely to stay in the house for longer so are a better prospect and more likely to be chosen over other applicants. Like I said, we have been here a few days and had secured long term housing by weds am, got my hubby a job by weds PM and the boys in school by Friday, literally they were in classes by the Friday. It is doable and it wasn't too stressful so long as you do your research from home and find areas you are more likely to be living in. We narrowed it down to about four areas, arrived and had aa drive around and discounted two of them. We are now looking at moving into our first choice area next weds. As for your dog, we have seen loads of rentals with dogs allowed, it's kid of second nature for me to look at pet friendly situations and Australia is very dog friendly! You will be fine. X

Hi there. We arrived in perth last Saturday and viewed about five houses. Yes it is off putting having so many people looking at houses at the same time but if you are a family you are looked upon more favourably than couples and singles, or so wee have found. The agents we spoke to all said the same thing that families are more likely to stay in the house for longer so are a better prospect and more likely to be chosen over other applicants. Like I said, we have been here a few days and had secured long term housing by weds am, got my hubby a job by weds PM and the boys in school by Friday, literally they were in classes by the Friday. It is doable and it wasn't too stressful so long as you do your research from home and find areas you are more likely to be living in. We narrowed it down to about four areas, arrived and had aa drive around and discounted two of them. We are now looking at moving into our first choice area next weds. As for your dog, we have seen loads of rentals with dogs allowed, it's kid of second nature for me to look at pet friendly situations and Australia is very dog friendly! You will be fine. X

Wow! sounds like you got off to a cracking start! it's certainly reassuring to hear everything has gone so well for you and that researching from the UK pays off x

What area have you decided to settle in?

We are still in holiday let in South Freo but we are going to Bibra Lake. It's quiet, got heaps of parks, free bbq's, the lake to walk around...... The school is lovely from what we have seen so far and my son who started yesterday came running out of school screaming about how much he loved it! He even woke up this morning asking if he could go school today!!!! Bibra has loads of dogs around and even the house we have taken is dog friendly although (we don't have one yet). It's clean, green and above all safe and friendly. I hope I don't have to eat my words on this one :-/

• 3 weeks later...