Extra luggage

Miamai

hi there, we booked our flights at the end of january with singapore airlines. Their standard weight per person is 30kg and when we contacted them we were told if we have an un validated permanent visa we get an extra 10kg each so thats 40pp (160kilo for our family of four). They said we could have as many bags as we wanted within that total weight but no single bag could be heavier than 30 kg (i think) so no handlers damage their backs I guess...

I think if you go over the overall weight allowancefor your family they can charge quite a bit.

It's worth double-checking with the airlines and getting their policy in writing. I've heard of folk who've been told one thing on the phone only to find another thing when they've gone to check in.

Out emigration flight was with Singapore, for the reason nikkiwd's posted. At the time to get the same amount of baggage with Qantas would have doubled the flight cost. But then that was a while ago, so definitely check.

The wording of the Singapore policy at the time was that you get the extra allowance if you've an unvalidated permanent visa with the paper stamp in the passport (which was free to get at the time). But I've also read that they weren't that fussed about the paper bit in the passport. For piece of mind, we got it in there though. And it's actually been a useful thing when having to demonstrate visa status for employers etc.

Maybe look at sending extra luggage as unaccompanied baggage depending on how much extra you want to send. It might cost a few quid but it's still cheaper than excess baggage charges and should arrive about a week after you. I think you might need an address at the other end though even though you will have to collect it yourself.

Singapore have emailed me back stating that if we are migrants travelling for the first time on our PR visa then all we have to do is tell them at check in and they will let us take an extra 10Kg per seat (no increase for infants if they don't have a seat) that makes it 40Kg.

This is a copy of the email:

"However, please note that if you hold an unused/unstamped/not validated migrant visa that specifically states that you are permitted to remain in Australia / indefinitely / permanently for flights departing from London/Manchester you will then be entitled to the migrant baggage allowance.

The Migrant baggage allowance of extra 10kilos will only be granted when you check in at the airport when this visa is sighted and checked that it has also not been travelled on before, this has to be the first time it is being used. This will then bring your total checked baggage allowance to 40kilos per passenger (occupying seat).

Please be informed that you can have as many items of checked luggage as you wish provided:

The total combined weight of all the items put together does not exceed

your total checked allowances

No single item of baggage exceeds 32 kilos in weight, as a health and

safety requirement

Kindly note that if you are not holding the correct visa mentioned above at check-in, then you will be entitled to the standard free checked baggage allowance of 30 kilos per passenger.

We would like to inform you that if you exceed your baggage limit then excess baggage charge will be applicable per kilo. The excess charge from Manchester to Singapore (as stopover) is USD60 per kilo which is approximately GBP37.00 per kilo. This is payable at check in on your day of departure using the applicable currency exchange rates for that day.

Please note that the flight from Manchester to Singapore is routed via Munich.

We hope the above information helps you with your query.

Yours Sincerely,

Moazam P.

SIA UK"