Cake bakers!

portlaunay

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest guest9824

Polenta and syrup would make cornbread, not sure what it would be like with fruit in?. It you had some ground oatmeal you could have made Parkin with the treacle, I love Parkin!

....best of luck...

Nutgella

Polenta and syrup would make cornbread, not sure what it would be like with fruit in?. It you had some ground oatmeal you could have made Parkin with the treacle, I love Parkin!

....best of luck...

Nutgella

No oatmeal, will have to leave Parkin for another day. Never had it, is it soft and chewy or biscuity?

Have a try at this nice cake, ignore the icing in the picture, I just drizzled a bit of runny icing on the top once cooled down. http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2564/easy-apple-fruit-cake

That looks pretty easy. Think I'll hoof a load of nuts into it and reduce the sugar in favour of some syrup and see what happens, thanks.

Guest guest9824

Parkin isn't chewy, but it's sticky, and moist, sticks to your ribs when you eat it, lovely, and better when you leave it for a while before you eat it, gets stickier! I find it really difficult to get the ground oatmeal here, it's too course, so I have to blitz it in my kitchen aid to get a less course consistency.

i miss having it on bommie night, cause we don't have bommie night, so last year we had a bommie night in July had sparklers, lit the outside fire, made Parkin and parched peas, and toasted marshmallows, paid homage to firework night Aussie stylie!

Edited by guest9824

how did your cake taste in the end?

Flavour was good but it was a little dry because I omitted the apple completely. I halved the sugar and added golden syrup instead and it's nowhere near as dark as the one in their pic. Although I can cook I'm hopeless at cakes and anything involving pastry.

At the same time as the cake I made some little mushroom tarts with polenta pastry and they are okay.

Guest guest9824
Flavour was good but it was a little dry because I omitted the apple completely. I halved the sugar and added golden syrup instead and it's nowhere near as dark as the one in their pic. Although I can cook I'm hopeless at cakes and anything involving pastry.

At the same time as the cake I made some little mushroom tarts with polenta pastry and they are okay.

i was never very good at baking, until I realised there is definately a science to it, it's n t like cooking where you can add and not follow a recipe, you really have to weigh and measure with baking and cake making, or else it can be a bit of a disaster. You must try making Parkin some time if you like gingery, spicy, sticky cake, it's lovely cold or hot with custard.

Cake looks good good by the way.

Pea

• 3 weeks later...
Guest guest9824
thanks Pea, may have to have a trial run this weekend ;-)

Bean I do cheat a little and buy Betty Crocker chocolate frosting for the middle and all over the cake, then decorate with maltesers or M&Ms....if it's for adults I use Ferrero rocher and dust the sides with hazelnuts....hope it works...happy bday to wee man x

I make this for wedding and birthday cakes, including for my own! lovely and moist and keeps well for a few days too, its the best one I have used. x

http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4577/wedding-cake-rich-dark-chocolate-cake

I was all set to try this recipe out for my boys 6th birthday.... until I saw the quantities, wow, that is some cake!

Think I'll give Peas recipe a go instead (thanks for posting the link Pea!) even though my conversation with darling son went something along the lines of "can Kati (the one who made our awesome leaving cake) make me a Moshi monster cake for my birthday?" "No, sorry darling, she's a bit too busy, but I can" "No, it's OK, I'll ask Nanny to buy me one from Tescos". Gee, thanks!

I was all set to try this recipe out for my boys 6th birthday.... until I saw the quantities, wow, that is some cake!

Think I'll give Peas recipe a go instead (thanks for posting the link Pea!) even though my conversation with darling son went something along the lines of "can Kati (the one who made our awesome leaving cake) make me a Moshi monster cake for my birthday?" "No, sorry darling, she's a bit too busy, but I can" "No, it's OK, I'll ask Nanny to buy me one from Tescos". Gee, thanks!

Ha ha he has no faith in his mummy lol. Yes the recipe for the chocolate cake needs to be divided by 2 or 3 but it is a good recipe.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guest9824
[ATTACH=CONFIG]1469[/ATTACH]Today's birthday offering......

but why is it sideways ??!!

Wowzers Bean, looks fantastic, have a fab day and weekend...:)

peax