How can i get a construction engineering job in Perth with NO WA EXPERIENCE?

RoyS

Hi there. My husband is having same issues, he's in construction too. From Edinburgh and been here in Perth 3 months. You can check seek and go to agencies but he was told this is too narrow a search. He has now started contacting companies directly and has an interview this morning. He's Construction Manager/Project Manager, the job titles differ here too. If you want to message him, just do that through my user name. He's had interviews at Recruitment Agents and plenty of rejection letters, so he'll understand your situation. Keeping our fingers crossed, his interview goes OK today. Good luck in your search. Cheers. Zena (my husband's name is Scott)

Hi there. My husband is having same issues, he's in construction too. From Edinburgh and been here in Perth 3 months. You can check seek and go to agencies but he was told this is too narrow a search. He has now started contacting companies directly and has an interview this morning. He's Construction Manager/Project Manager, the job titles differ here too. If you want to message him, just do that through my user name. He's had interviews at Recruitment Agents and plenty of rejection letters, so he'll understand your situation. Keeping our fingers crossed, his interview goes OK today. Good luck in your search. Cheers. Zena (my husband's name is Scott)

Good luck, hope it goes well for him, please let us all know.

Does contacting directly to the potential employers holds true for consulting companies as well?

Hi there. I would recommend contacting companies directly. I found a job through seek, online. However, a Human Resource manager in Perth told me that using seek and/or recruitment agencies really narrows the search. My husband had more success contacting companies directly, sending his CV through by email and explaining the type of work he is looking for. Prior to this, he had lots of 'thanks but not interested' replies to all jobs he applied for via seek. I've heard of people finding work contacting companies directly, as the company has expanded or just won a new contract, they haven't yet advertised for new positions, so your CV gets there first. Hope this helps. Good Luck. Z

Hi there. I would recommend contacting companies directly. I found a job through seek, online. However, a Human Resource manager in Perth told me that using seek and/or recruitment agencies really narrows the search. My husband had more success contacting companies directly, sending his CV through by email and explaining the type of work he is looking for. Prior to this, he had lots of 'thanks but not interested' replies to all jobs he applied for via seek. I've heard of people finding work contacting companies directly, as the company has expanded or just won a new contract, they haven't yet advertised for new positions, so your CV gets there first. Hope this helps. Good Luck. Z

Thank You Zena for the advice.

Finding work in WA in many arenas is often about who you know and not about what you know and about answering ads. I always suggest that you go cold calling with your resume to employers as this can be a productive way of gaining temporary employment that sometimes lead to permanent employment. Just sitting back and applying on Seek or going to agencies is only a small part of the employment recruitment scene. It is even worth offering to do work experience for a few days so employers can see what you do. I know a few people who have gained employment in the building industry that way.

That's great. Wish all the best to Scott and you enjoy your new job. Cheers~

As for me, I will keep knocking on doors. Wish me luck.

Finding work in WA in many arenas is often about who you know and not about what you know and about answering ads. I always suggest that you go cold calling with your resume to employers as this can be a productive way of gaining temporary employment that sometimes lead to permanent employment. Just sitting back and applying on Seek or going to agencies is only a small part of the employment recruitment scene. It is even worth offering to do work experience for a few days so employers can see what you do. I know a few people who have gained employment in the building industry that way.

Are you able to disclose the companies name where these few guys got their employment from?