Clarification on wooden items

Claudette

Hi,

We are now starting to sort through all the bits we want to ship over but are getting confused with what can/can't be brought in.

We have a couple of canvas prints that are on wooden frames that we'd like to bring

We also have some framed photos - again with wooden frame.

I have a childrens wicker chair that I'd like to ship over - it was mine so very old.

Are we able to bring these items in? We will be shipping them over in a container, not carrying them with us.

Thanks!

Hi,

We are now starting to sort through all the bits we want to ship over but are getting confused with what can/can't be brought in.

We have a couple of canvas prints that are on wooden frames that we'd like to bring

We also have some framed photos - again with wooden frame.

I have a childrens wicker chair that I'd like to ship over - it was mine so very old.

Are we able to bring these items in? We will be shipping them over in a container, not carrying them with us.

Thanks!

Hi Claudette

Wooden picture frames - no problem. In fact wooden furniture is not a problem at all but wicker is another thing all together!

Wicker anything (baskets, chairs etc) - they will not allow.

This is our second relocation to Aus. and both times we have been told to leave all wicker behind....... however we did bring lots of wicker baskets back from Aus when we returned two years ago and the UK customs didn't even question it!

Best wishes with your move.

http://www.daff.gov.au/biosecurity/travel/moving-emigrating/items_of_quarantine_concern_in_personal_effects

Hi Claudette,

I have similar concerns regarding wooden furniture. This site above explains some but I'M still confused.

Oh my, that website makes it sound like you can't take anything into Aus!! So from my experience, when we went to Aus. a few years ago, we took a wooden table and chairs, two antique pine blanket chests and a number of other 'manufactured' wooden items with no problems at all. However I did leave behind all wicker but slipped up and left a 'twig' Christmas ornament in my Christmas decoration box and it was removed. Now I could have had it 'treated' (don't know the technical term for it), but because it was just a relatively cheap ornament (but a lovely one!!) I chose to have it destroyed as the cost to have it 'treated' and returned to me was quite high.

There seems to be a lot of things on the list that are confusing though. We took all our feather pillows with us (which are listed) no problems.

I don't know what to say about wicker conservatory furniture because I don't know if they would treat it and it may cost quite a bit on top of the cost of having shipped it..... a bit of a minefield I'm afraid. I err on the side of caution and leave stuff behind/sell it on before I go if I have a worry about it and get new stuff there.

Sorry, not a great deal of help there!

Hope someone can clarify this. Will the unvarnished wooden parts of the tables and chairs be a problem? This site says it is a "biosecurity concern" but it does not say that we cannot bring them, right? I think woodworm risk is the problem. It says carpets and rugs are also a problem. But a friend of mine WHO moved 6 months ago took 9 carpets, and a whole wicker dining table and chairs. Looks confusing. She said she was warned against taking carpets but she had no problems. She got them washed and cleaned before. I was thinking of throwing or selling the carpets, now I'm confused again...

Aah, hopefully the removal company will be able to give us a proper answer.

This is a very old thread but talking about the same problem. It may or may not help but is interesting to read!

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=463517

This thread is a little more recent http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/living_overseas/a1486686-wicker-baskets-going-to-Australia

Edited by Alienmigration