Class sizes in state primary schools

India

Have just had a long weekend in Perth, it was certainly hot!

Being on Cotesloe beach at sunset with the noisy parrots reminded me of what I love about Perth and why I can't wait to move here in July

I thought I would call into the children's new school and buy uniform so we are all ready to go in July.

i have to admit I was more than a little shocked, stunned really at the class sizes.

My son will be going into a mixed Four /five year group there are currently 34 children in the class. He will be the 35th and there may well be more before we arrive!

i have to say the teacher was very relaxed about it as was the head, and the parents had nothing but praise for the teacher (poor thing) they all felt she was doing a marvellous job and they all got plenty of attention

Anyone else surprised at class sizes in state schools?

Have just had a long weekend in Perth, it was certainly hot!

Being on Cotesloe beach at sunset with the noisy parrots reminded me of what I love about Perth and why I can't wait to move here in July

I thought I would call into the children's new school and buy uniform so we are all ready to go in July.

i have to admit I was more than a little shocked, stunned really at the class sizes.

My son will be going into a mixed Four /five year group there are currently 34 children in the class. He will be the 35th and there may well be more before we arrive!

i have to say the teacher was very relaxed about it as was the head, and the parents had nothing but praise for the teacher (poor thing) they all felt she was doing a marvellous job and they all got plenty of attention

Anyone else surprised at class sizes in state schools?

No

I can imagine class sizes increase as catchment schools have to take catchment children. Once they are nearing capacity I would have thought the government would be looking to open a new school in the area but I suppose existing schools could end up over subscribed whilst they sort this out.

I visited my mates kids school the other week due to my OH coming over with her son later this year and us looking at schools.

I was a bit shocked to find over 50 kids in one class, they did have 2 teachers splitting the subjects but I was still shocked at the size of the class and the risk

of it getting out of control or how easily a child could 'disappear' educationally with so many other children around.