School Teacher panic

Zebradeb

Public Sector Commission - Advice to Job Seekers

On 16 April 2014, the WA Government announced:

• an immediate freeze on all recruitment until 30 June 2014, unless otherwise approved; and
  • an immediate freeze on all advertising until 30 June 2014, unless otherwise approved

for a broad range and number of agencies.

Those agencies are therefore unable to advertise vacancies, or progress current recruitment actions until the freeze is removed. This applies to all job vacancies including pools, regional vacancies, fixed term, casual or permanent placements.

Job Seekers who have applied for vacancies are advised to contact the relevant agency for further details in relation to their application.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Read the above and contacted the schools I have applied to teach in. Response was they arent sure what is happening with recruitment. We are set to head to Perth in July, house, jobs, kids schools etc all gone in the UK from when we leave. I am not filled with OMG regarding teaching jobs in WA.

Does anyone on the ground know any more about this? Seen it before? do these things happen or do I need to seriously considering emergency contingency planning! ... loosing sleep so your comments are eagerly anticipated...

Can't say I wouldn't be worried but if you're committed already and there's no going back then what's the point in worrying about it. I must say that whenever our government freezed recruitment it wasn't that you couldn't recruit; you just had to jump through an extra hoop/ approval.

Certainly we are 100% all in now so there is no going back...

I have just heard about this from my new boss, something to do with a new treasurer.... I am fortunate enough that my public sector job was offered to me and I accepted it before 16th April so it can go ahead, but they have to apply for an exemption. If you have already applied for positions I'm sure they can get around it, it might just take some extra paperwork as Lou said.

Alternatively, think positively, if you don't arrive until July and they haven't been able to recruit for the past few months, there should be a glut of jobs going ready for when you arrive?

I'm not sure, there has been huge cuts to schools in the areas. Our school lost $300,000 in funding this year and a friend of mines daughter was told my her university lecturer to consider changing courses. She's halfway through a degree in education.

Alternatively, think positively, if you don't arrive until July and they haven't been able to recruit for the past few months, there should be a glut of jobs going ready for when you arrive?

Unfortunately there will not be a glut of jobs. There is a huge surplus of teachers in WA.

It is highly competitive, even more so in the city areas.

All of the universities in Perth wrote to their education students last year advising them to switch from early childhood and primary teaching to secondary, as there would be more chance of a job.

Schools will start recruiting for 2015 from the end of June/beginning of July. By October/ November it is rare for any postions to be advertised.

Public Sector Commission - Advice to Job Seekers

On 16 April 2014, the WA Government announced:

• an immediate freeze on all recruitment until 30 June 2014, unless otherwise approved; and
  • an immediate freeze on all advertising until 30 June 2014, unless otherwise approved

for a broad range and number of agencies.

Those agencies are therefore unable to advertise vacancies, or progress current recruitment actions until the freeze is removed. This applies to all job vacancies including pools, regional vacancies, fixed term, casual or permanent placements.

Job Seekers who have applied for vacancies are advised to contact the relevant agency for further details in relation to their application.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Read the above and contacted the schools I have applied to teach in. Response was they arent sure what is happening with recruitment. We are set to head to Perth in July, house, jobs, kids schools etc all gone in the UK from when we leave. I am not filled with OMG regarding teaching jobs in WA.

Does anyone on the ground know any more about this? Seen it before? do these things happen or do I need to seriously considering emergency contingency planning! ... loosing sleep so your comments are eagerly anticipated...

Don't lose sleep, but do be realistic that you may have to seek alternative employment.

The switch by Uni students may work in our favour if you're a primary school teacher :wink:

Of course there's also the private schools...

We are both Secondary School Teachers and OH Design Technology which is a skill shortage, so hopefully things will come good. Keeping everything crossed! feel free to join in :eek:

We are both Secondary School Teachers and OH Design Technology which is a skill shortage, so hopefully things will come good. Keeping everything crossed! feel free to join in :eek:

What type of DT does the OH do?

Does anyone know if the is a glut of high school teachers?

Edited by Akasully2

One of the problems is that next year all Year 7 students are moving to high school, until now Year 7 has been the last year of primary. The private schools have already changed. This means that next year all primary schools will have one teacher too many and primary teachers are being encouraged to retrain as high school ones. There will beta huge amount of primary teachers looking for work and every vacancy in high school will be filled with them where ever possible. Add the budgets cuts and it is a grim situation.

Guest Guest6235

What a marvellous situation to be in when you're well on the way to obtaining your visa or like others on here about to fly out to Perth as a Teacher. I find it amazing how the oz govt (or whoever) can put teaching on the skills shortage list and then do this. I just hope there are Secondary school Maths positions available next year.