RANT - pet issues

elfie

Further to the post made by VS re his little dog getting attacked through no fault of his own but irresponsible dog owner of 2 large dogs - hope he is better by the way I truly know the heartache it causes when pets are ill

Today after an hour trot with pit pony Ebbz walking back home via PORTO NOVO in Secret Harbour. My dog not once but twice by two different households has been charged by at both times 2 yappy little lap dogs 2 ****zus the first time and 2 highland terriers type the second time. Both times I called out " please get your dogs!" FFS people keep your dogs under control. Please dont let them rush out the door yapping like their on dog crack cocaine.

My dog pit pony Ebbz is on a lead and halti to ensure she is under MY control at all times. I am a responsible pet owner yes I have a large dog weighing in at 7 stone - which I might add is a tad small for a Rottie. Yes she will charge back if attacked yes I cross the roads when I see other people walking their dogs as I KNOW she is not dog friendly. They why oh why when people see us walking do they ASSUME all is good ......... I will not be responsible for any retaliation from my dog to another dog small or large not under the owners control. There has already been an incident involving another 2 large dogs who again charged at my dog on Secret Harbour beach luckily no one was hurt thanks to lone surfer dudey who hit assailant dog with his surf board.

I am going to carry a walking stick with me and yes I will whap the charging dog better a whap than get into the jaws of my dog end of. I keep walking other dogs keep yapping etc etc a halti does not ensure the dog will not bite the mouth can move freely it just gives direction control.

Please people of little yappy lap dogs keep them under control be aware not all dogs are friendly again another incident that could have happend didnt today thankfully. If it had no doubt would have been my dogs fault because of what breed she is. Also please teach your kids to ask if they can pet a strange dog before approaching. Luckily my dog is human friendly just not dog friendly. I will not be held responsible for an outcome that is not my fault to start with.

Rant over

I know exactly how you feel. It constantly happens to me working and walking my own. My dog is human and pet friendly but two dogs have ran out of their houses and bit him and yes both small lap dogs. The owners seem to think if they are small the rules don't apply. I was walking my boy through our local park and and old lady had her dog off leash. I saw it and tightened the harness on mine ( he's " only " 5 stone ) but he's still bouncing puppyish and would try to play with this dog who was now snarling and yapping his way over to us. The owner caught the little white fluff ball and it bit her! She turned to me and said " You should have a bloody muzzle on that dog! " pointing to mine!:wacko: Priceless big dog I'm at fault.yeah right.

I know exactly how you feel. It constantly happens to me working and walking my own. My dog is human and pet friendly but two dogs have ran out of their houses and bit him and yes both small lap dogs. The owners seem to think if they are small the rules don't apply. I was walking my boy through our local park and and old lady had her dog off leash. I saw it and tightened the harness on mine ( he's " only " 5 stone ) but he's still bouncing puppyish and would try to play with this dog who was now snarling and yapping his way over to us. The owner caught the little white fluff ball and it bit her! She turned to me and said " You should have a bloody muzzle on that dog! " pointing to mine!:wacko: Priceless big dog I'm at fault.yeah right.

Thank god its not just me. To be honest its getting beyond a joke

After reading VS post and now yours I am more than a little worried bout my little man when we get to Perth. He is a rather big Yorkshire terrier and is not human or dog friendly but that's because he is a very timid dog; saying that if a dog runs up to him he will attack, but I believe this is more out of fear! He has been lucky so far in that only 1 dog (much bigger) has ever retaliated (bruised his ego but no vets visit required), but I do worry that one day he wont be so lucky. He is very rarely on a lead as being a timid dog he wont stray away from us and if he sees a dog coming to him that he doesn't like he will give a very wide berth. If I see dogs that I don't like the look of then I put him on his lead so that I have some control of what he does. But as you've pointed out, the small ones can be the worst & I wouldn't normally think twice if seeing them. I can see me having to do very early/late walkies lol.

I've got a flick knife for my dog to carry with him at all times to threaten those pesky little pretend dogs.

Ours is friends with everyone and everything,and if he smells bribary treats in your pocket he will be a friend for life. He has been half attacked. He stood his ground the second time and the other dog buggered off. Dogs have a pecking order and are very well natured as a rule. Its usually the owners that are the problem.

Socialization starts form puppyhood. Its not so easy in adulthood not saying it cant be done. Depends on the dog. My dog will never be dog social, that's why she's always on a lead. The protection instinct of a Rottweiler is first and foremost. Hence dog reactive specially when charged. Her instinct is to protect her humans and her domain. Personally would not have it any other way. Dogs need to be under control at all times. Specially the little yappy kind that yip underneath my dog and her heels.

I am the owner of 2 small dogs. Yes I agree they are usually more noisy than bigger dogs however they are no less of a dog than any of the larger breeds. I agree that it is the owners responsibility and the perception of small dog, little harm and no lead is wrong. My dogs are always leashed and if everyone adopted the same principles we'd have less bother x

I am the owner of 2 small dogs. Yes I agree they are usually more noisy than bigger dogs however they are no less of a dog than any of the larger breeds. I agree that it is the owners responsibility and the perception of small dog, little harm and no lead is wrong. My dogs are always leashed and if everyone adopted the same principles we'd have less bother x

Glad to know you keep your dogs on a lead Shona. It is a pity not everyone has the same principles

We have got our first puppy and she is a cavoodle, so she will hopefully be knee height, so middle range of height. Yesterday we started puppy training purely for the fact that I want to be able to take her out whenever we want to, and be able to sit in a cafe with her by our feet, not annoying other people or dogs. Our old next door neighbours here in Perth had a similar breed of dog and it was a nasty thing, it barked constantly all day, and then if it ever got out, which it did often, would stand and guard its property attacking anyone that walked pass, I am determined not to let Cara get to that point ever. I did mention it to the owners as I know the new owners of the house would not put up with it and they did not believe me, they even said they had never heard him bark ever!!!!

At the puppy training, they did advise unless they always come back to your command 100% of the time, to never ever let your dog off the lead, as it causes more problems than its worth.