Confused about teachers' pensions!!

Nicos7

I'm leaving my teaching job in England at the end of the year and starting a new job in Oz in Jan. I've been paying into the Teachers' Pension scheme over here for the last 10years and now need to decide what to do. Their website doesn't seem clear to me as to what my options are- are there any teachers who have made the move and can make it any clearer for me??? Can you transfer it across to an Oz scheme? Can I get the money back? Are the Oz schemes similar to over here?

Any help gratefully appreciated!

Nicola [emoji3]

I'm leaving my teaching job in England at the end of the year and starting a new job in Oz in Jan. I've been paying into the Teachers' Pension scheme over here for the last 10years and now need to decide what to do. Their website doesn't seem clear to me as to what my options are- are there any teachers who have made the move and can make it any clearer for me??? Can you transfer it across to an Oz scheme? Can I get the money back? Are the Oz schemes similar to over here?

Nicola [emoji3]

Teacher pensions do not exist here. However, every employer (whatever the job) pays a certain percentage of money into a superannuation fund that can be accessed by the employee at retirement.

Nicola [emoji3]

Hi @Nicos7

My Wife and I have just been talking about this. It is my understanding your pension will sit there until retirement which I'm guessing will be 60 for you if you joined before 1st January 2007. Your pension will be calculated by multiplying the number of years service by average salary divided by 80. I think the average salary is calculated using your best 10 years salary. I assume this will be paid into a UK account. I'm not sure about how you would transfer the pension into a super fund in Oz. You can also take a lump sum but I'm not too clear on this.

Cheers

Dave

Hi @Nicos7

My Wife and I have just been talking about this. It is my understanding your pension will sit there until retirement which I'm guessing will be 60 for you if you joined before 1st January 2007. Your pension will be calculated by multiplying the number of years service by average salary divided by 80. I think the average salary is calculated using your best 10 years salary. I assume this will be paid into a UK account. I'm not sure about how you would transfer the pension into a super fund in Oz. You can also take a lump sum but I'm not too clear on this.

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave. Lump sum I think is what I would want but can't see that as an option on their website. Will have more of a look tomorrow and will ask at work next week.

• 4 weeks later...

Nicola [emoji3]

Hi.

Did you get anymore info on this? I've moved over from Scotland and I'm trying to work it all out. I stayed in vic for a while so had a super there which I planned just to continue here; however, they don't allow me to transfer my UK one to it. I'm now going to look for another one that will allow me to have it all in the one place. Thinking I may need to pay for advice though!!!

• 6 months later...

Hi Nicola,

I am a teacher in Manchester and will be moving to Perth next month. We have looked into pension transfers and a new rule will soon come into practice to prevent teachers from moving their pensions out of the UK until pensionable age is reached, the reasoning is that there are a lot of us moving out of the country and/or the profession which is putting the pension pot even more at risk. I think you can still do it but you'll get taxed both in UK and in Oz. The advice I got matches that above, leave it here then access it when you want it, be that in instalments or a lump sum.

Well done on achieving a post for January, I have just began my search and any advice you can give me would be really useful.

Stuart

Hi Nicola,

Unfortunately the new rule that Stuart is talking about came into force in April. We cannot now move our pension to Australia. You won't be able to get a return of contributions either, so you've got no choice but to leave your pension pot in the UK to accumulate with inflation and take it when you retire. I knew about the rule just before it kicked in, but research told me that I was still better to leave it was it is. I'm going to open an Aussie 'super' when I get over there. Good luck with everything!