Where to live?

AliB

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I am in the process of planning the move to Perth along with my husband and 2 children who are 13 and 9. I have a job in Perth, but we really like the look of Mandurah. But am really worried about finding the best area to live, as I don't want to keep moving the children once they have started school. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Hi Alib I'm heading to Mandurah in July hopefully. Area I'm looking at is Halls Head, primary schools are ok the state public schools are not great though. The private schools aren't too costly in Oz and I believe Frederick Irwin is probably the best of the bunch. There's a couple of people on here whose children are at the school so hopefully they will reply to your post and give you the inside view. Good Luck with everything - see your not too far fom me.

I will be working in Nedlands area. I know it will be a bit if a drive but we really liked mandurah when we visited in dec 14. We have a lot to sort, a house and schooling is the main priority.

That's way too far! I live in Nedlands..... I don't think people commute as far here as they might in the UK.

That's way too far! I live in Nedlands..... I don't think people commute as far here as they might in the UK.

Disagree. The train from mandurah runs every 5 mins at peak times and all are full with people doing this.

the reason. Simple, you can buy a house here for $500k that would cost a long way north of $1 million (probably closer to $2 million) in Nedlands.

Hi, I'm new to the forum. I am in the process of planning the move to Perth along with my husband and 2 children who are 13 and 9. I have a job in Perth, but we really like the look of Mandurah. But am really worried about finding the best area to live, as I don't want to keep moving the children once they have started school. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Welcome to the forum!

I think that's the hardest bit; finding somewhere that ticks all your boxes and where you know the kids will be happy in school.

My hubby works in the CBD and drives every day from Secret Harbour. It takes him around 40 mins depending on traffic but he does leave here just before 6am.

Mandurah is lovely and I would love to live there in a heart beat, especially Halls Head and on the canals, but the commute would be another 20 mins or more so it isn't an option.

My son does go to school in Mandurah though. He's at Frederick Irwin. It's a lovely school and he's very happy there.

I think if you're going to be working in Nedlands, you may be better searching for an area you like NOR. It depends on what you want though and how much you mind a commute.

I guess it depends on budget and what you want in a house. Obviously you'll get more for your money the further out you go but I'd rather have a smaller house and live closer to the city. I couldn't do that commute every day and leaving at 6am in winter would be a killer!! If both parents are working where do the kids go before school as you'd be leaving quite early to commute? Closer to the city my kids can be dropped at school at 8:25am so I'd be able to be at work by 9am.

if you are at the hospital and are working shifts then you'd have to drive. It is 70 km's away - would you choose to live in Manchester if you had a job in Leeds? You are choosing two hours a day sitting on the train or in the car, can't see any sense in that.

Govt high schools in Mandurah are very poor, you might need private education - if you can get in. Just another factor to consider.

Edited by Scot01

I think people do travel more here to get to work i do and a lot of people i know do.

It must depend who you know, where you live etc. I don't know anyone who commutes...but I guess that's because I live in a central area. However, in the UK I knew people who'd travel two hours to work and back again..... Anyway, it's a personal choice and I know some people would be fine with it but for me the costs outweigh the benefits. I want to be home to enjoy my life here!

We both commute a long way at the moment, at least an hour each way for both of us, without having my parents on the doorstep to help and with hard and long shifts I definitely do not want this to continue so for me - I will not be commuting any longer than 25-30 mins from my place of work and do not want MrJP to do anymore if we can help it....so we will have to either move to where we work or work where we want to move ;)

If you don't mind commuting (which I never used to - quite enjoyed it for a number of yrs) then I would not hesitate commuting an hour for a bigger and nicer house closer to the places that interest me e.g. beach!

I agree about the commute but we have friends who live in Busselton and so want to be close to them. Any my job offer is in Nedlands, so we are trying to base ourselves half way so we hopefully have the best of both worlds. Its a hard decision to make. And my main focus is on my two boys being happy where they live and go to school.