Electrical Skills Assessment

JC6723

Hello All,

Bit of background on my situation, like everyone else i'm a qualified sparks in the UK just recently left the Army and now working for a large Electrical contractors. I am going out on a prospective marriage visa so for the visa I don't need to do the assessment but to be able to work as an electrician no matter what visa you go out on you must go through the same process to become a licensed sparks out there.

As you can see by the title I've got a few queries about the skills assessment. Firstly if anyone on here has gone through a company called 'The Down Under Center' i would love to know what you thought of them they sound very helpful but like all companies they want your money so i would like a non biased opinion. Also what is the process like for Vetassess? Were they very helpful with giving you advice or did they just leave you to get on with it?

Any help would be very much appreciated and if there are any question that you had thought of that may help myself or anyone else looking at this thread then again that would be very much appreciated.

Thank You.

Hi,

my partner is a plumber we are now living in Perth, we used the down under centre I would definitely recommend them. They were so helpful the agent who dealt with my partner is called Nikki chilvers she is fantastic. Hope this feedback helps

Hi JC6723

I recommend that you seek professional advice through a registered migration agent.

The assessment process can be complex (particularly for licensed trades like Electrician - General and Electrician - Special Class) and depends on whether you are undertaking the assessment for skilled migration purposes and hence are getting assessed before leaving the UK (eg through Vetassess/TRA), or whether you are in Australia on another visa (eg prospective marriage/partner) and hence are seeking to satisfy local licensing requirements. Note Electricians are licensed/registered at State level in Australia.

If you use an agent it is your interest to ensure that they are appropriately registered. This can be checked at http://www.mara.gov.au/

My husband also needed the skills assessment as an Electrician so he could work out here as an Electrician and not for visa purposes as I was tha main applicant. We also used the Down Under Centre and I agree that they were great and we also dealt with Nikki. Once you are out here you will then need to complete part A, B and C of the gap context training course along with the about 1000 hours at work before you can get you A Grade.

Hi JC6723,

I Have not had any dealings with the Down Under Center but i can answer any questions you need on the Vetassess process as i have done the Electrical Assessment with them.

Vetassess dont offer any advice on the process they are a skills assessment provider who assess all kinds of trades for skilled migration purposes.

The process for Vetassess is in 2 stages.

First stage is you apply and pay the initial fee for written assessment. This is where you provide them with evidence of your skills and tasks which you carried out. This consists of a written statutory deceleration written by you stating your career history and tasks you carried out. Also you will need written extensive references from your former and current employers stating your roles and responsibilities while working at the company.

Second stage as long as you are invited to apply for by passing stage one is the practical assessment. This itself is made up of several parts which are, a practical assessment similar to the AM2 Electrical Apprentices carry out, a multiple choice exam, electrical electives you must fill out with experience in the field chosen, some wiring and diagrams on motor control circuits and also the safe isolation procedure.

There are more detailed posts on here about the Vetassess practical assessment which i posted on shortly after completing mine.

If you need any further assistance give me a shout.

Regards,

Ian

• 5 months later...
Hello! I've never had to wire a DOL starter motor circuit. Would anyone be able to share any drawings or diagrams that would pass the assessment with me. I've found so many variations of the drawings on google and now I'm nervous which one is right for the day...

Sent you a PM Steven :)

• 4 months later...
  • 11 months later...