Uk gas engineer looking for work in perth

Damien

Hi guys i an currently in the visa process and all is going well but am concerned with transferring my uk qualifications into the australian version which will allow me to get a job any plumbers or gas fitters that can advise me on the process this would be much appreciated. 

Hi and welcome to the forum. 

I am not in the industry, but can add some insight and hopefully one of our members from the industry will come along and fill in the blanks. 

Your occupation is a licensed occupation in Oz. So, in order to work, you will need to get a license. This will mean doing college work and then working as a trade assistant for a period (a bit like an apprentice). I think this is for a year. 

You should be aware that Perth is in a severe economic downturn at the moment which makes finding a job challenging. 

Thanks for the speedy reply 

Yeh it seems the whole world is on an economic downturn at the moment, but the way i see it is if you can make it when its like that life can only get easier .

I have been in my trade for 11 years and am very self motivated hard working . I have joined the forum mainly to find reassurance that i can make a living good enough to provide for my wife and kids what ever trade thats in .

I have seen numerous posts on here saying how difficult it is to get a plumbers liscence and a job so my quedtion is ......

Is it worth pursuing a plumbing / gas career in oz or can i make more money in a different line of work . If i have to re train anyway whats the quickest route to a good wage ?

I know there is no easy path in life and am willing to work as many hours and as hard as it takes to get a good life but would love some guidence off you guys who have already done it or are doing it.

Cheers

It is an impossible question really, some will move, go through the training and get a decent job. Others will find they can't get one. 

Do not underestimate though the economic downturn in WA at the moment. The reason I am typing this from Scotland after 8 years in WA is because we suddenly found we couldn't get work. Even jobs at Macdonalds were getting a couple of hundred applicants. 

As for retraining, it depends. There is no quick way. Anything that pays well, does so because people have to spend significant time getting qualified either by education or an apprenticeship. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/13/2017 at 07:52, Damien said:

Thanks for the speedy reply 

Yeh it seems the whole world is on an economic downturn at the moment, but the way i see it is if you can make it when its like that life can only get easier .

I have been in my trade for 11 years and am very self motivated hard working . I have joined the forum mainly to find reassurance that i can make a living good enough to provide for my wife and kids what ever trade thats in .

I have seen numerous posts on here saying how difficult it is to get a plumbers liscence and a job so my quedtion is ......

Is it worth pursuing a plumbing / gas career in oz or can i make more money in a different line of work . If i have to re train anyway whats the quickest route to a good wage ?

I know there is no easy path in life and am willing to work as many hours and as hard as it takes to get a good life but would love some guidence off you guys who have already done it or are doing it.

Cheers

Hello Damien,

I'm a plumber/gas man.

First things first, is to get the visa..... Are you looking at a permanent visa? If so you will need to get your skills assessed via vet assess, pass an Ielts english test etc (all of which can be a mission! Hard work!) then once thats sorted your obviously eligible to make the move.  (this process took me 2-3years!!)

When you get to Oz, you will need to enrol onto a course which is called "Migrant Gap training" this is about a 2-4 week course which then enables you to work for another plumbing contractor under their license. (without this you cannot work as a plumber)  If you liked you could continue to keep working this way and working for various companies as a sub-contractor or employee. 

Your other option is to gain your own plumbing licence. I have been told this will take between 12-18 months. You will need to be working within the industry gaining experience in the required course sections collecting evidence as you did with your NVQ (if this is what you have)

Once you have your own licence you can then sign off your own work and have people working for you under your licence.

I am currently in the UK, we have our permanent residency visa's but things are pretty busy for me at the minute so I'm getting the pennies in while I can.  We will be making the move soon but we are cautious of how much work is actually available over in Perth. 

I have a friend who's a subby who hasn't got a licence but has worked under someone elses since he has been there (4 years) but changes jobs regularly. He has had tough times, but he has WA experience now so is more appealing to employers than you and I would be. 

This is something to seriously be mindful about, WA experience!!! We have none! So unfortunately we have to work our way back up! even if this means a few weeks for free! 
and things are done differently out there too...

On the bright side, the place is absolutely beautiful! And to be able to walk along the beach after graft with my kids, sun shining is more than compensating to have to put a bit of foot work in to kick start my oz career.

I hope this helps and answers some of your questions, if you need anymore info just let me know. 

Cheers, 

Dan