Migration with multiple sclerosis

Lee55233

Hi just found the forum as my wife, myself and my parents are wanting to move to Perth permanently, I’m pretty confident we could move on my work skills as an electrician (special class) but I don’t want to go through the skills test yet until we know if there would be any problem with my parents joining us.

My parents are retired now and we would be buying a property together.

Our main concern is my mother has multiple sclerosis, she was diagnosed over 20 years ago and hasn’t been able to walk for over 15 years, although she can’t walk she is still pretty independent just requires help from my dad to transfer from chair to chair or bed, her condition has been stable for at least 15 year and doesn’t require any more treatment, we’ve always thought she would not be accepted because of her condition but since looking into it I can’t find anything saying that would be the case.

Does anyone have suggestions of where I can start??

thanks

lee

I think your mothers condition could have potential not gaining a visa so my advise would be to speak to an agent.  George Lombard and Richard Gregan both have experience in dealing with medical conditions.

Should they think that your mum would get a visa it's then decided which one to go on.  Generally, as a sponsor you would have to be settled in Aus on a PR visa (at least) .. settled generally means about 2 years.  Your parents would also have to meet the balance of family test.

There are members on her who have applied for the various parent visa's and I'm sure they will be able to offer you some advice regarding those specifically.

Ali has pretty much outlined the issues. Your mothers condition is a potential issue as the department will not just look at potential costs now, but also in the future. 

You would need to gain your visa first and make the move and settle for two years, then your parents could apply. If they can get through the medical, they need to be aware of the costs. This is a very expensive process for parents with costs of about $130,000 for two parent visas. Though this is likely to rise by the time they are able to apply. Also, processing is not quick. At the moment it is taking about three years to process a visa, so in reality it would be five years after you made the move that they could join you. 

Yeah I think an agents advice is going to be best, are there any reliable free that aren’t just trying to talk you into paying for an appraisal?, I’m 44 soon aswell so haven’t got much time also, although I have seen it’s still possible to go up until 50?

thanks your for help

Camila who runs http://www.newlifedownunder.com.au is an excellent agent and helps on the forum. 

Be aware the age cut off is now 45 and not 50 - it has recently changed and you may already struggle for points. 

You should also be aware that the minister is now hinting that parent visas may be abolished - I would not be at all surprised, so if your parents eventually joining you, is a big part of your decision, that is something to consider, 

I have spoken to an agent yesterday and I was told I would have to be there settled for 2 years before my parents could apply, then their application could take up to 3 years, one of the final parts being the medical, would they be able to pay for a medical now to make sure everything would be ok assuming their health is still the same in 5-6 years, then obviously they would have to have another medical 

21 hours ago, Lee55233 said:

I have spoken to an agent yesterday and I was told I would have to be there settled for 2 years before my parents could apply, then their application could take up to 3 years, one of the final parts being the medical, would they be able to pay for a medical now to make sure everything would be ok assuming their health is still the same in 5-6 years, then obviously they would have to have another medical 

TBH, I don't see the point of them doing a medical now - the panel Dr is not able to say if they would/wouldn't be able to pass the medical,  they perform it and send it off - if there is anything on there it is referred on - at that point there may be requests for more information.  EG - a friend was requested to see a cardiologist for a report due to high blood pressure, and I know of someone who has to see a psychiatrist due to having disclosed previous MH issues (they both got visa's).

Do your parents pass the balance of family test?