to have a pool or not to have a pool!!

Guest debbie13

Guest debbie13

Well this is a question that can only be answered by you guys. Looking at properties in Atwell, and my young :wacko:children really like the idea of having a pool, but as I have quickly realised, homes that have a swimming pool usually lack any other garden space. Unless I win the lottery the properties I can afford would either have garden or pool, not both. What I wanted to know is, is having a pool more of an ideal that we Brits in rain trodden Britain aspire to, or is it in reality more bother than it's worth(thinking of maintance etc). What would you suggest.

We live in an older suburb where the plot sizes are much bigger than newer builds, so we have a pool, a garden that fits a large trampoline and 2 outdoor patio areas. Ny friend who lives in a new build is having a pool installed, but has to remove part of her decking to accommodate the fence. We changed our pool to salt water so that there's less to do. We probably do use it for about 7 months of the year, it's great in summer (coming home from work) and great when you invite friends over as the kids are in and out of it all day.

We are building in a new suburb and we are having a pool installed as soon as it is built the pool is going to take up half the garden but, my son is 10 and to be honest he doesnt use the garden a great deal. It does get hot here so we just dont use the outside space that much. Also there are plenty of parks and the front gardens are huge so there is always space to kick a football around.:wubclub:

Guest guest1228

I think you'd use the pool more than the garden in the summer as its too hot to run around outside but splashing in the pool is the best way to cool off. Pool everytime. We have a big block loads of garden and plan to put a pool in as soon as we can afford to.

Guest Chinkerbell

We too are in an older plot and the garden area is huge, and we have a big pool. Our pool is non chlorine/salt and is actually run on a bioniser system.....very easy to maintaine and no harsh chemicals either......love it! My daughter gets in from school on the hot days, and straight on with the rashie and in the pool! Nothing beats it........lol x

For some people a pool is a lot of responsibility, the cost of the chemicals, testing the water if the temperature goes over 27 degrees(weather that is) If you do have a pool, please make sure someone among your friends has a Life saving certificate, knows how to do the recovery position etc. So many people think pools are just the ticket, but have no real thoughts about saving lives. Make sure all the local government laws are covered, as the Councils will send Inspectors twice a year to make sure they are safe. Dont plant trees anywhere close, as visitors children, often find the curiosity to climb a tree to get to the water. Please really consider all those safety features before you make that expensive decision. I know , you`re thinking, what the hell is she on about. But too many toddler`s drown in other peoples pools, as you will see if you check the statistics.

They are wonderful ways of keeping your teenagers amused and home during the summer, they are also great to entertain around, and you will probably find that all the neighbour`s kids will want to visit and swim there. I have had the responsibility, when we lived in a country town , where half the town turned up to use our pool. So I made the neighbour`s, whose children used the pool, roster themselves, so some adults were always present when their children were. Its not a good baby sitter, and they also had to take part in Safety first lessons, had to join a roster to clean it, and so on...

But there is nothing better than going for a midnight swim, on a hot hot night in Summer. Or first thing in the morning, either.