Land and House Packages

derham

We are hoping to move out to Perth next year and due to the high costs of buying a home it seems the best option would be a land and new build home package and move on after a few years after finding our feet. My big worries are as follows:

1. Are these estates miles away from any amenities (can't tell from web sites and Google), schools, shooping etc.
  2. Are they just for first time buyers.
  3. Do they have good broadband connections.
  4. Do they sell any better or worse than older properties.
  5. Is the quality good/bad.
  6. Would we be better buying an existing property on an established estate

I know it would depend on the location of the estate but I am looking for any general advice ideally from someone who has bought or is living in one of these land and home sites.

My wife is adament she is not moving to a run down 3 bed or a new build in the middle of no where, were we can't meet anyone ( more for the kids than us). Any help or advice would be helpfull.:confused:

Guest Danny&Em

Hello, Just joined and what a cracking start to my Perth Poms.

Great questions above from derham which have been echoed in my little brain for some time. Looking forward to some great info on this one. Cheers..

We are hoping to move out to Perth next year and due to the high costs of buying a home it seems the best option would be a land and new build home package and move on after a few years after finding our feet. My big worries are as follows:
  1. Are these estates miles away from any amenities (can't tell from web sites and Google), schools, shooping etc.
  2. Are they just for first time buyers.
  3. Do they have good broadband connections.
  4. Do they sell any better or worse than older properties.
  5. Is the quality good/bad.
  6. Would we be better buying an existing property on an established estate

I know it would depend on the location of the estate but I am looking for any general advice ideally from someone who has bought or is living in one of these land and home sites.

My wife is adament she is not moving to a run down 3 bed or a new build in the middle of no where, were we can't meet anyone ( more for the kids than us). Any help or advice would be helpfull.:confused:

Hope this helps.

1. You can get house and land packages all over the place. Its difficult to know if the ones you are looking at are miles away without knowing which areas you are looking at.

2. No

3. Most new suburbs have ok broadband and the goverments National Broadband Network is in the process of being rolled out. Be aware internet here is not as good as the UK and very expensive and you pay by useage

4. Same

5. Depends on the build company. Though build standards here are a lot lower than the UK. But they look nice

6. Depends on what you want. Do bear in mind though that the price they advertise is VERY differnt to the price you will end up paying. Usually doesnt include ground works and a lot of things in the house. For example, it often only includes one single power outlet per room. Each extra is more $$$. We looked at it very hard - got to contract stage when we realised that the $400k budget was now well north of $500k

At the moment builders are struggling so you might get a good deal.

My advice though would be to rent at first. Perth is a funny place and each area is very different and some suit some people and not others. For example there are two new areas near me. Secret Harbour and Lakelands. I would be ok with the 1st but not the second

Thanks, We have looked at Secret Harbour and it seems nice. We would rent for the first 6 months to get to know the area we would eventually settle in but the schools would be top of the list. I figured there had to be a catch on the costs, I couldn't understand how new build was a lot cheaper the the older properties. It looks as though we need to allow $500k then!!!!

Hi We live in Secret Harbour now but are building in Lakelands. We love both places but it all came down to cost. Because Lakelands is much newer it is much cheaper as it doesnt have all the amenities of Secret Harbour, yet. There are lots and lots and lots of land and house packages going all over Perth so I agree with Very Stormy that its best to wait until you get here to have a good look. We have got what is described as a turn key package and it is exactly the price that is advertised and doesnt charge anything extra for flooring air con window treatments etc etc etc. Lots to chose from is a good thing, so good luck :cool:

Hi We live in Secret Harbour now but are building in Lakelands. We love both places but it all came down to cost. Because Lakelands is much newer it is much cheaper as it doesnt have all the amenities of Secret Harbour, yet. There are lots and lots and lots of land and house packages going all over Perth so I agree with Very Stormy that its best to wait until you get here to have a good look. We have got what is described as a turn key package and it is exactly the price that is advertised and doesnt charge anything extra for flooring air con window treatments etc etc etc. Lots to chose from is a good thing, so good luck :cool:

That sounds promising, if you dont mind me asking how much was your property and what size is it?

Ours is $312,000 for a 4x2 with a theatre and separate study and as I said is turn key so it comes with everything ready to move in. Painting and landscaping is our responsibily but everything else is included. Its on a 498 square metre block. I have seen advertised also some that allow money for landscaping too so shop around.:wubclub:

That sounds really good, the cost of buying a property isn't as bad as it seems then, considering the salaries are better then it's good news all round. One last question if you don't mind how much is your pool costing, we are not sure about getting a pool (think it may be a luxury that though time will not be used all that much)?

Be wary of the idea salaries are better. They are for some but not for others. From my experience the increased cost of living means that to have the same standard you do now then your dollar amount needs to be 3x your pound amount. So if you earn 40k pounds, then you need to earn $120k here. As for pools, we use ours a lot. Pretty much daily from now till June

Yeh we[ve based our assumptions on a salary 3x than we are getting here in the UK and the average salary for my job is bang on the 3x but we have also made assumptions that initially it might be slightly less until we get to know the industry in WA. Good news on the pool, we have spend the last 8 years with vacations in Florida and after the first week or so the pool use dropped after the novelty has gone that's why we wondered if the extra costs for having a pool would be worth it (can't imagine living in a warm climate and not having a pool!). Thanks

What job will you be doing? When you plan to build it is a good idea to have the pool discussion before the building commences. One of my neighbours has just had a huge cost increase because they couldnt get enough access to the back for a small digger. If he had at least had it dug out prior then it would have saved a lot of money.

Ours is $312,000 for a 4x2 with a theatre and separate study and as I said is turn key so it comes with everything ready to move in. Painting and landscaping is our responsibily but everything else is included. Its on a 498 square metre block. I have seen advertised also some that allow money for landscaping too so shop around.:wubclub:

May I ask you the name of the company you are building with and the the type of the house/model if you don't mind me asking please. Would it be possible to provide a link to their web site?

Thanks.

Hi there, well hope I can shine a little light on things for you guys. I live in the northern coastal suburbs of Perth and have done for 20 years.

what suburbs have you been thinking about, price range, age of your children. At the moment I would say Butler is about the most northern suburb I would go if you are looking

for schools, shops, beaches and soon the train. Established area. Homes from $389,000 Upwards.

If you are looking for beach lifestyle in a smaller community...Yanchep/ Two Rocks. Schools/ shops no train nice community and more home for your dollar.

Alkimos..house and land packages.. good value, near beach but new community and infastructure not quite there yet. It will be lovely in a few years. If your children are young this will be good. There are many other suburbs but i need more info. What suburbs have you been interested in etc. Regards Portia

Hi Portia

I've been looking at SOR (Baldvidis, Hammond Park, Secret Harbour, Wellard Etc)as this seemed to be slightly cheaper and there are some good reports on some of the schools. My children will be 12 and 15 when we move. We have came to the conclusion that we will need to rent for 6 months and visit as many of the suburbs when we get there but the more info we get the better. I am going to purchase a perth map and start marking up areas and rate them on a spread sheet (good schools, trains, shopping and road links) and hopefully this will help. Any info you can pass on would be helpful.

I should have read further back on the thread. Anyway, I can't really advise on property south as I have no experience. KOLBY College is recommended for high school. Food and essentials are more expensive south of the river.

My pick of them would be Secret Harbour. The others are "ok". Wellard is good for the train into the city. None of the others are close to a beach and are generally large somewhat sprawling estates. Have you had a look at Mandurah? I cant advise on schools as we dont have children, but we have lived there 4 years and really like it. There are some good deals in places like Port Bouvard which is a beach side area of Mandurah. It is the end of train line and about 55 mins from Perth. The city offers most things you would want and is a fair bit cheaper than Perth itself.

We looked at a 650m2 block in Port Bouvard that was a short walk to the beach for $180k and there are blocks a fair bit cheaper. There is also a new development there and we really liked the houses called Frasers Landing. The houses are stunning and come completly finished even with blinds and things. Its in a semi bush setting but only a few mins from the city centre

I should have read further back on the thread. Anyway, I can't really advise on property south as I have no experience. KOLBY College is recommended for high school. Food and essentials are more expensive south of the river.

Thanks thats good to know, never thought the food costs would change that much between SOR and NOR.

My pick of them would be Secret Harbour. The others are "ok". Wellard is good for the train into the city. None of the others are close to a beach and are generally large somewhat sprawling estates. Have you had a look at Mandurah? I cant advise on schools as we dont have children, but we have lived there 4 years and really like it. There are some good deals in places like Port Bouvard which is a beach side area of Mandurah. It is the end of train line and about 55 mins from Perth. The city offers most things you would want and is a fair bit cheaper than Perth itself.

We looked at a 650m2 block in Port Bouvard that was a short walk to the beach for $180k and there are blocks a fair bit cheaper. There is also a new development there and we really liked the houses called Frasers Landing. The houses are stunning and come completly finished even with blinds and things. Its in a semi bush setting but only a few mins from the city centre

Thanks I'll have a look online at Frasers landing. We did think about Mandurah just a bit concerned about work, as i work in construction I was a bit concerned about the travel.

• 3 weeks later...
Yep thats everything exept the wall painting, and landscaping, we are getting that done separately and are having a pool built at the same time. The fences have to be paid for too but you share the cost with the neighbours 50/50

Do you pay stamp duty on the house and land or land only with the house and land package ?