Any non resident UK landlords out there, re: buildings insurance!

Liz

Just for the information of any expats that are unaware (as I was)! If you have a rental property in the UK and are PR in your new country, your buildings insurance may not be valid. I have been with Insure in the UK for 2 years and just found out that had I claimed it would not be valid as I'm a non-resident of the UK. This only came about as I didn't get my renewal reminder due to Insure's error, so had to do a fresh quote, they asked me if I was a UK resident and I realised I'm not now, then the light went on and I realised that I am PR of Australia! Just did a quick search as I had to be covered ASAP and only found one company that does it, and it cost £878!!!! I quickly bought the policy, but can't believe that I have potentially been uncovered for 2 years!! I am still not covered as I have to sign a subsidence form and send it back, please God don't let anything major happen in that time!

Like ·

Guest Jamjar

I have no idea why being resident or not in the UK should make a diff to a landlord policy. I think its just another way of charging higher premiums.

To be honest I dont remember residency being a question when I completed the info for a quote.

• 2 years later...

Hi we are non resident landlords in the UK. We thought there would be a problem but no our original landlords insurance with CIA it just rolled over nicely. They haev our Aussie address plus email. Have to pay the policy in full when it needs renewing no monthly direct debit.

Our insurance is via CIA underwriter is Towergate. Good prices they email reminders when policies are due for renewal. Highly recommend. We have been here nearly 3 years all good so far. We also have one property empty and on the market for sale. This also has not been a problem I just sent them the link on Zoopla so they could view it was in good condition plus garage and house alarmed etc and they were happy with that. Informed my next door neighbour had keys plus my mother and father in law and it was inspected on a weekly basis - which it is The difference in price for empty property and if it was tenanted peanuts.

Edited by elfie

Hi we are non resident landlords in the UK. We thought there would be a problem but no our original landlords insurance with CIA it just rolled over nicely. They haev our Aussie address plus email. Have to pay the policy in full when it needs renewing no monthly direct debit.

Our insurance is via CIA underwriter is Towergate. Good prices they email reminders when policies are due for renewal. Highly recommend. We have been here nearly 3 years all good so far. We also have one property empty and on the market for sale. This also has not been a problem I just sent them the link on Zoopla so they could view it was in good condition plus garage and house alarmed etc and they were happy with that. Informed my next door neighbour had keys plus my mother and father in law and it was inspected on a weekly basis - which it is The difference in price for empty property and if it was tenanted peanuts.

@elfie are you sure that's buildings insurance? Sounds like contents insurance

@elfie are you sure that's buildings insurance? Sounds like contents insurance

In reply no offense meant

We are fairly experienced landlords in the UK for many years with a few properties. Thank you for pointing out but we well aware of the difference between landlords building insurance and contents cover. Content cover apart from fixture and fittings ie : Kitchen units bathroom fittings white goods - if any are tenants responsibility - this should also be stipulated within the rental agreement. If you do have any doubts on your policies please check with your insurers.

Another thing regarding renting a property - if your property is mortgaged and not a buy to let you need permission from your lender to let. There in the past have been many posts on PP from people stating they have not sought lenders permission to let. This is a breach of your mortgage agreement. Which many have ignored.

In reply no offense meant

We are fairly experienced landlords in the UK for many years with a few properties. Thank you for pointing out but we well aware of the difference between landlords building insurance and contents cover. Content cover apart from fixture and fittings ie : Kitchen units bathroom fittings white goods - if any are tenants responsibility - this should also be stipulated within the rental agreement. If you do have any doubts on your policies please check with your insurers.

My buildings insurance went up when the property was empty! Any excuse to get your money! :arghh:

My buildings insurance went up when the property was empty! Any excuse to get your money! :arghh:

Hi Liz it did go up not significantly about £30 if I remember rightly. Again insurance quotes are calculated in area crime stats claim history ect. Its true they just want your money.

Another thing regarding renting a property - if your property is mortgaged and not a buy to let you need permission from your lender to let. There in the past have been many posts on PP from people stating they have not sought lenders permission to let. This is a breach of your mortgage agreement. Which many have ignored.

I've just got consent to let from my mortgage company today as we have found a tenant for our house. Yippee. It was fairly painless, I moved onto a new cheaper fixed term rate as well. They charge an annual admin fee for the privilege and will review in 3 years. I need to look into landlord insurance next.

I can't even remember what I put down but I wouldn't worry about it too much, I think the form just serves to allow the estate agent to not withhold tax from your rent, which they would otherwise have to do.

FWIW, we are with nationwide and it was a doddle changing our mortgage (once I got around to remembering to do it!), they slap an extra 1% on the interest rate though if you're letting your house for more than 6 months.