Ideal comfortable salary for family in Perth

Philly

Hi, I was hoping for a bit advise as me and my wife and two children (10 & 6) are hoping too relocate to Perth at the beginning of next year. I have been applying for jobs in my field as an Electronic Security Engineer and the average salary seems to be around $65000, would this be enough to support my family until my wife got a part time job just in a shop. Any advise would be appreciated. Also, is there anywhere in Perth where we should avoid renting, I would like somewhere where there will be other children for my kids to make freinds, thanks.

It's a difficult question, as what is comfortable for one isn't for another. It depends on what you are used to. As a rough guide divide your Perth salary by 2.2 and it will give you the figure that gets you the same standard of living. So, for $65k, it is about 29k pounds. However, I find it doesn't take into account house price difference and that will depend on things like any equity you have now

Guest PeterRule

Hi there i should be coming over to Perth and been finding pay and the cost of living hard to work out i should be on about $120,500 a year before tax but can't seem to work out the Tax i would have to Pay i have been told as long as you don't think you are going to get a big house and pool cos they will be High price to buy now but go on line for supermarkets and do a shop but don't click buy lol just get in to your basket and you will see what you would have to spend on shopping then if you find any place cheaper buy from them but do you checking now like tv cos i hear they don't have Sky Tv and internet charges and phone plus all the other thing cars you will see it add up i did and don't think i will get what i wanted 4 bed house pool and a new car lol looking at house price mite be sleeping with the croc lol

We have sky. But here it is called Foxtel. Internet is similar, but more expensive and normally comes with download limits.

Google "google Australia" and open it up. You are now using the Oz version of google and it preferences Oz sites. Type tax calculator and you will find plenty

I have been looking at foxtel but they tie you in for a 2 year contract ......................... also it has less choice of tv channels compared to UK sky, plus I found it very expensive to build a package of my personal choice. Also hardly any channels on freeview if your a Uk tv addict think you may be in withdrawal. Thank goodness for a kindle

Guest cadams

Peter,

check if 120k includes super anuation, that's 9%

$7154 per month including super

$666 per month excluding super

Rent will all depend on where you live, I have a 5 bed single story, with pool $1940 pm

internet $100pm

gas $2 a day

elec $6 a day

food Is the killer, family of 3 average of $150-200 a week.

car insurance $1000 - year

house contents ins. $46 a month

I get through about 5k a month for everything, and I live an average life, with 1 child.

• 7 months later...
Guest pommybob

Hi Philly,

You really do need to do your homework before you think of relocating and living in Perth. Perth is indeed beautiful and the beaches are fabulous.

However....a $65K salary won't go anywhere in Perth! Perth is extremely expensive to live.....be warned!

Most people rent a fully furnished house when they arrive as they wait for their furniture to arrive. Typical costs for short-term fully furnished accommodation are around $800 PER WEEK!

Long term rental accommodation is anything between $450 and $600 PER WEEK (not per month) as an example and there are at least 10 people after each property at the moment as there is a HUGE housing shortage in Perth and the suburbs and landlords are taking bids from prospective tennants for rentals! This equates that your outgoing on rent alone will be anything between $23,400 and $31,000 per year and that's without your bills, running a car, school fees and food! There's a bond requirement too, which is typically 4 week's rent in advance and most landlords require 2 weeks in advance!

All I can advise is really weigh up your options and be prepared.

It's a good life in Perth, but you need lots of money to survive.