OMG! 10 years for Permanent Residency - Help with DeFacto evidence required!

Guest Jacko1979

Guest Jacko1979

OK - maybe the thread title is a little misleading!

I have applied for Permanent Residency as a remaining relative and HAPPILY I have fulfilled all the requirements (they even asked me to do police checks and medicals) and I have been given a queue date (Friday 8th March 2013). Also disclosed on the letter was the fact that the current waiting time for the queue is 9-10 years :wacko: as they are only just looking at applications from 1 June 2010 and they have capped the places available to 1200 this year.

So the long and short of it is - I am going to be applying for a De Facto Partner Visa in June. My boyfriend and I (Brett, South African but with Australian Citizenship) have been together for over 12 months already but will have only been living together for 12 months in June. I am wondering if anyone has any great ideas on evidence to provide to show that we are a couple. Utility bills cant be put in joint names (apparently) and other than our joint account, joint rental agreement and statutory declarations - what else could we send?

Thanks in advance

Donna

:chatterbox:

Photo's., invites inviting you to things as a couple, stat decs from family friends telling how you met/how they know you as a couple. Letters you've written/emails showing the longevity of your relationship, airline tickets/bookings for you as a couple

You should get advice regarding applying for a Partner visa while on a bridging visa.

As you might run in to issues, as you should have informed DIAC when you entered in to a defacto relationship, as if your partner has any family that do not live in Australia this will make you no longer eligible for LRR.

Guest Jacko1979
Photo's., invites inviting you to things as a couple, stat decs from family friends telling how you met/how they know you as a couple. Letters you've written/emails showing the longevity of your relationship, airline tickets/bookings for you as a couple

Apparently photos are no longer a valid evidence tool but the other suggestions are great. Thanks

Edited by Jacko1979

Guest Jacko1979
You should get advice regarding applying for a Partner visa while on a bridging visa.

As you might run in to issues, as you should have informed DIAC when you entered in to a defacto relationship, as if your partner has any family that do not live in Australia this will make you no longer eligible for LRR.

I informed Immigration of my change in status and because my boyfriend and all his immediate family are all citizens here it did not create any problems for me with my remaining relative. PHEW! :jiggy:

It was my case worker for Remaining Relative that suggested I do the De Facto visa as it will be quicker and I can have the two running side by side until I am granted Permanent Residency. Sounds like a great idea but they want all this evidence that you cant seem to get right now - bills in joint names for example - Telstra, Synergy and Alinta wont do that :confused:

Thanks for the response and the heads up - immigration can be a mine field and any additional advice is always greatly recieved!!!!

I informed Immigration of my change in status and because my boyfriend and all his immediate family are all citizens here it did not create any problems for me with my remaining relative. PHEW! :jiggy:

It was my case worker for Remaining Relative that suggested I do the De Facto visa as it will be quicker and I can have the two running side by side until I am granted Permanent Residency. Sounds like a great idea but they want all this evidence that you cant seem to get right now - bills in joint names for example - Telstra, Synergy and Alinta wont do that :confused:

Thanks for the response and the heads up - immigration can be a mine field and any additional advice is always greatly recieved!!!!

Hello Jacko

Immigration look at various aspects of the relationship, including financial, emotional, social etc.

The best sort of evidence to provide is something showing that you are 100% committed to each other with the exclusion of all others.. If your rental agreement is not in joint names perhaps get a Stat Dec from your agent stating that they are aware that you having been living there since you moved in. Wills and super are good ways to demonstrate that you are genuinely committed to each other for life (or even death!)

Invitations to weddings (to demonstrate that people see you as an item) with accompanying photos are also a good thing.

You need to think out of the square for evidence that shows how commited you are. Joint ownership of pets are another possibility.

Remember they are not interested in boyfriend/girlfriend relationships, so do not make a common mistake and count that period towards your 12 months.

Good luck

Good luck