plumbers beware

mark.w

just been to the city to get my plumbers licence $217 but you need 2 written refs from uk detailing all works you have carried out and they will ring the referees ,also have to pay $1000 for gap training gas is seperate $70 for your ticket and $1400 for the course.Sounds like a lot but cheaper than ccn etc once you have your certs you dont have to renew.Still waiting for my tools somewhere on the seven seas.But there seems to be plenty of work about and its bloody hot 30 today yahooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo:wink:

just been to the city to get my plumbers licence $217 but you need 2 written refs from uk detailing all works you have carried out and they will ring the referees ,also have to pay $1000 for gap training gas is seperate $70 for your ticket and $1400 for the course.Sounds like a lot but cheaper than ccn etc once you have your certs you dont have to renew.Still waiting for my tools somewhere on the seven seas.But there seems to be plenty of work about and its bloody hot 30 today yahooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo:wink:

Hot my arse , on the cool side

By expensive what do you mean guys? Cost living like food, bills etc? My hubby and I have been looking at emigrating over from Glasgow we've got a meeting next week with overseas emigration but any info you could give on the cost of living etc would be great. Oh my husband is a bricklayer, whats the job situation like for brickies? Cheers Maggie

By expensive what do you mean guys? Cost living like food, bills etc? My hubby and I have been looking at emigrating over from Glasgow we've got a meeting next week with overseas emigration but any info you could give on the cost of living etc would be great. Oh my husband is a bricklayer, whats the job situation like for brickies? Cheers Maggie

Maggie there are loads and loads of threads / posts on this site about cost of living etc. and so perhaps start with this link on this site. It is a Cost of living thread from September 2012 http://www.perthpoms.com/forum/money...-living-2.html

It will at least let you list out the types on exepnse items you need and get you thinking about starting figures for them. May be just add 10% to the September figures and you should be on the safe side. It will really be all down to what you will be earning, where you will be wanting to settle and how much disposable income you will have left at the end of each week or month. Some people live frugally, some do not and everyone is different, e.g. some have privaye health care, some have Foxtel (Sky), some have not, some have two cars and some one and so on. I suppose best way is to build a budget table based on what your own style is, fill it in as much as possible from information you get from this site and other websites and you can and then refine it as you get more information.

Sorry do not kow anything about work for brickies but again there are a lots of posts on this site that you can search through to get a general feeling for it or start a separate new thread asking some specific questions.

Thanks very much for your reply. I'm just new to the forum so it's nice to know there is help and advice out there. Ill check them out and make a start on some comparison figures. I really appreciate your help, no doubt ill be back with more questions lol! I'm really hoping it works out for us, I've just woke up this morning in Glasgow to yet more snow! :frown:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Andig

hi Mark

thats interesting, something else i need to make sure i get before i come over.

how are you finding it there? is it worth the move from UK?

let me know how you find the work at there is it as bad as other comments?

enjoy your sunny weather

Andi

Guest Andig

wanted to be later this year, but found out the OH has to do one year teaching after she finishes her degree in June, so if all goes to plan Visa will be Sept/Oct i may the pop over in Dec to validate start winding down everything here, sell house and so forth then it would be July/August 2014. so hopefully enough time to learn some tips from all the plumbers that are already there!!

i do think the BBC Wanted down under should change this to Unwanted Down Under from all the comments i have been reading LOL!!!

where are you based, i have to have sponsorship from an area so was looking at Bunbury, 2hrs south of Perth.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, my husband will be over there in June and he's a plumber. He has 20 years City & Guilds approved experience and has completed the Vetasses skills test. Will the above costs apply to him, he is aware he will have to do a migrant gap course but would like to know the cost and what is involved in the course? I'm sure he would love to speak with you and iron our a few issues if that's OK with you?:ssign14:

• 1 month later...
Guest Ben.garlo

Hi mark. Can I ask who you managed to get a job with as I am really struggling to find a plumbing job. Not got my license yet as not paying all that money if its not going to get me a job. I am also based NOR so any info you can give would be great. Thanks ben.

• 5 weeks later...
Ben you need licences mate or no one will take you on i am doing my g class gas at the moment about $700 and three weeks full time at college you also need your tradespersons plumbing license to stand any chance good luck mate.

Hi Mark,

Just reading your thread,

How have you got on with your Job and is it as hard as everyone says trying to find work?

I'm a gas fitter in the UK for the big gas company, done my apprenticeship with them 10+ years ago, obviously i'll have to do the migrant plumbing course, G-Class gas course etc, how did you find the courses? was it at TAFE or MPA Skills? I'm not doing the Vetasses due to the fact im coming to Perth on A Spouse Visa/Perm Visa so i will have to do the Hand Skills test as well.

Any extra info would be great

Thanks

Steven

Hi Scott am from Stansted work is ok im a maintenance plumber at the moment bit different to uk but not that difficult just adjusting to the names for different things and ways of doing things no map gas here mate all brazed which is as easy as soft soldering and its the same old story here mate its not what you know but who you know there seems to be enough work about but was in one of the suppliers the other day and they say things are slowing down.But nothing compared to uk pm me your no when you are here and i will try and point you in the right direction good luck.