I need an idiot's guide to broadband!!

Fairydust

Been looking into broadband (and possibly landlines) and have a few questions:

1. Is mobile broadband any good over there? We would look to get it for the first 3 months while we are in a short-term rental and possibly keep it.

2. What are the benefits of Naked Broadband as it doesn't seem much cheaper than some of the bundles for a landline and ADSL broadband?

3. Has anyone got any experience of broadband from the smaller companies i.e. not Telestra, Optus etc?

4. Is it really worth getting a landline? Are VOIP or Skype enough for keeping in touch with friends/relatives overseas?

Getting so confused with it all and trying to keep costs to a minimun but want to come over with an idea of where to start! We'll be living in Rockingham initially, possibly looking at Mandurah longer term.

We used an optus mini wifi thing for when we first arrived, cost $99 and then was $30 a month for 4GB of data. This ended up lasting us around 15 months before we decided to upgrade to something unlimited.

Now we've got Vivid Wireless, $79 per month for unlimited downloads - works on the 4G network so no need for a landline. Worked perfectly in Subiaco (had full signal on the box) now we're in Yangebup (further south) it still works ok, but we have 2 bars instead of the 3 - so downloads are a bit slower now.

Hi

Hi could I also ask advice on some of the packages that are around? We are moving into a rented house mid April in duncraig. A friend has told me she got her tv, broadband and mobile all in a Telstar package. Could anyone recommend a package or deal that is around? Thanks.

• 1 year later...