Any Accountants on here made the move from the UK recently?

Guest chrisholcombe

Guest chrisholcombe

Hi all, new member, interested to hear from any accountants who have moved from the UK to Australia and can offer me any advice.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Chris

Hi all, I'm also looking to migrate as an accountant.

First question to Lou: How do I know for sure if I need to sit the academic IELTS? Is it mentioned somewhere on the CPA site? Thank you!

Yep, both CPA and ICAA state you need to sit the IELTS Academic and score 7 or more in all to be assessed as accountant for migration purposes.

Skills assessment for general skilled migration To receive a positive result for your chosen Australian and New Zealand Standard Classification of Occupations (ANZSCO) code, you will need:

a qualification that is assessed by CPA Australia as equivalent to at least an Australian Bachelor degree

to have successfully studied in at least nine of the 12 "core knowledge areas", including the four mandatory core knowledge areas that are relevant to your chosen ANZSCO code

to have met the English proficiency requirement.

Skills assessment for temporary visa (subclass 485)

To receive a positive result for your chosen ANZSCO code, you will need:

an Australian Bachelor or 12 Unit Master degree majoring in accounting

to have successfully studied in at least nine of the 12 "core knowledge areas", including the four mandatory core knowledge areas that are relevant to your chosen ANZSCO code

to have met the English proficiency requirement.

Skilled employment

CPA Australia will recognise your employment claims as closely related to your chosen ANZSCO code if:

you have obtained a positive skills assessment for general skilled migration purposes from CPA Australia

you started working in your role after you completed the education that enabled you to obtain your positive skills assessment

the tasks and duties performed in your role are at an appropriately skilled level and are determined to be relevant to your nominated occupation

Core knowledge areas

If you have completed study that is formally accredited by CPA Australia, you can check which core knowledge areas you have completed prior to applying for an assessment by searching for your course.

If your study is not formally accredited by CPA Australia, you will need to include subject outlines with your application so that we can provide you with individual advice on which core knowledge areas have been studied in your qualification.

Here is a list of the core knowledge areas needed for each ANZSCO code:

Core knowledge area Accountant (general)

221111 Management accountant

Taxation accountant

External auditor

221213 Finance manager

Corporate treasurer

Accounting Systems and Processes Mandatory Mandatory Mandatory Mandatory Mandatory Mandatory

Financial Accounting Mandatory Mandatory Mandatory Mandatory Mandatory Mandatory

Management Accounting Mandatory Mandatory Mandatory Mandatory Mandatory Mandatory

Accounting Theory Mandatory Mandatory Optional Optional Optional Optional

Finance Optional Optional Optional Optional Mandatory Mandatory

Auditing Optional Optional Optional Mandatory Optional Optional

Commercial Law Optional Optional Optional Optional Optional Optional

Economics Optional Optional Optional Optional Optional Optional

Quantitative Methods Optional Optional Optional Optional Optional Optional

Information Systems Design and Development Optional Optional Optional Optional Optional Optional

Taxation Law Optional Optional Optional Optional Optional Optional

Company Law Optional Optional Optional Optional Optional Optional

Australian Taxation Law NA NA Mandatory NA NA NA

English proficiency requirement

General skilled migration

There are two ways to meet the English proficiency requirement for the general skilled migration skills assessment:

complete an Academic IELTS test and achieve a score of at least seven in each of the four components (Speaking, Reading, Listening and Writing)

complete the Skilled Migration Internship Program for Accountants

Temporary visa (subclass 485)

There is only one way to meet the English proficiency requirement for the temporary visa (subclass 485) skills assessment:

complete a General or Academic IELTS test and achieve a score of at least 6 in each of the four components (Speaking, Reading, Listening and Writing)

The English proficiency requirement for the skills assessment is not related to Department of Immigration and Citizenship's English language threshold. Exemptions on the basis of holding a passport from or citizenship of certain countries are not available for the skills assessment.

Took this from the CPA website. It depends on what type of visa you are going on by the looks of it. Hope this helps.

Debs

Edited by travelchic

• 2 weeks later...
Yikes! Yes, it does look like it's not available for WA sponsorship....Maybe they have filled their quota for the year?

States sponsorship doesn't work on quotas. WA withdrew sponsorship of accountant general in January this year after reviewing their list. It's still available on a 189 visa though.

Edited by Lou8670

Thankfully I applied just in time! I watched the rules for years as I was studying and I would qualify one month, not qualify the next. Rollercoaster ride!

I am not surprised it has been taken off, mind you. I am now in Perth and have started to meet with agencies and it seems it's highly competitive out there and there seems to be an abundance of qualified people.

States sponsorship doesn't work on quotas. WA withdrew sponsorship of accountant general in January this year after reviewing their list. It's still available on a 189 visa though.

Hi Chris....I arrive 2 weeks ago. No interviews yet, I have met one recruitment agent who seems to have a few jobs that he is putting me forward for. I'm not sure at this stage how good or bad the job market is for accountants right now. My phone hasn't exactly been going crazy! I'm hoping it has just been a school holiday effect.

Hi Chris....I arrive 2 weeks ago. No interviews yet, I have met one recruitment agent who seems to have a few jobs that he is putting me forward for. I'm not sure at this stage how good or bad the job market is for accountants right now. My phone hasn't exactly been going crazy! I'm hoping it has just been a school holiday effect.

We arrived just over a year ago on my visa, wife is an accountant, AAT, ACCA, 7 years experience as an accountant but 10 years before that as a bookkeeper , took her 6 months and about 60 job applications later to get a job, one of the accountants she spoke to said there is a huge oversupply of accountants here in Perth, 4 universities all producing dozens of accountants each year as well as huge accountant migration numbers.

s he has now started a CPA conversion, she has to do 6 more exams to get full CPA membership, she hopes it will help in the future if she ever goes for another job.

Guest Hassan
Thankfully I applied just in time! I watched the rules for years as I was studying and I would qualify one month, not qualify the next. Rollercoaster ride!

I am not surprised it has been taken off, mind you. I am now in Perth and have started to meet with agencies and it seems it's highly competitive out there and there seems to be an abundance of qualified people.

Agreed...especially on the abundance of qualified accountants out there....and taking off accountant from WA skill list was imminent.

Soo.. this means I'm done for. No SS, no accountant in WA and so on. I don't have enough points for 189 (by my calculation).

I too thought that state nominations are quota related. Lou, could you tell me where you read that this isn't so?

One option left for me is subclass 489, which is a temporary visa (I think 4 years), and family sponsorship is somehow involved. Is anybody here knowledgeable in "family sponsorship" ? What does that mean with regard to subclass 489?

Soo.. this means I'm done for. No SS, no accountant in WA and so on. I don't have enough points for 189 (by my calculation).

I too thought that state nominations are quota related. Lou, could you tell me where you read that this isn't so?

One option left for me is subclass 489, which is a temporary visa (I think 4 years), and family sponsorship is somehow involved. Is anybody here knowledgeable in "family sponsorship" ? What does that mean with regard to subclass 489?

Levi

WA regularly review their list and each state has their own list. They can decide to remove or add any occupation at any time. They did issue a warning in December 2012 they would be reviewing Accountant General and removed it from their list in January.

What points can you claim for a 189? It might be helpful if you could list them and you might find you can scrape enough together, particularly if you are under 40.

Re. the 489 visa; if you google "immi 489" you can read all about this visa and how to apply. It is a 4 year temporary visa but leads to a permanent visa.

Lou, the link you are talking about is this one: http://www.migration.wa.gov.au/skilledmigration/Pages/LatestNews.aspx

This is what WA says:

"Monthly review of the Western Australian skilled migration occupation list

1 May 2013

From 1 May 2013 the following occupations remain unavailable for State sponsorship:

• Electronics Engineer (ANZSCO 233411)
  • Accountant (general) (ANZSCO 221111)
  • Chemical Engineer (ANZSCO 233111)
  • Materials Engineer (ANZSCO 233112)

Off-list nominations are available to qualifying applicants. Please note that occupations are reviewed on a monthly basis. If an occupation becomes available this will take place on the first working day of each month from 12:00pm WST."

I've calculated my points this way - I used this link https://www.acacia-au.com/skilled-migration-points-test.php :

Skilled Independent Subclass 189: 0 points

English language ability: I must get 7+, to have: 10 points

Australian educational qualification: (No) 0 points

Qualifications: Recognised bachelor degree or higher (I have a master's degree in Corporate Finance): 15 points

Overseas work experience: (Less than one year) 0 points

Partner skill qualifications: 0 points

Designated language: 0 points

I will make time to read about the 489. Re: it leads to a permanent visa, yes: "To qualify for permanent residence, you must live in a regional area for two years, and work full time in a regional area for at least 12 months." As far as I know currently the whole of WA is regional.

Thank you for your posts Lou, I appreciate them.

Lou, the link you are talking about is this one: http://www.migration.wa.gov.au/skilledmigration/Pages/LatestNews.aspx

This is what WA says:

"Monthly review of the Western Australian skilled migration occupation list

1 May 2013

From 1 May 2013 the following occupations remain unavailable for State sponsorship:

• Electronics Engineer (ANZSCO 233411)
  • Accountant (general) (ANZSCO 221111)
  • Chemical Engineer (ANZSCO 233111)
  • Materials Engineer (ANZSCO 233112)

Off-list nominations are available to qualifying applicants. Please note that occupations are reviewed on a monthly basis. If an occupation becomes available this will take place on the first working day of each month from 12:00pm WST."

I've calculated my points this way - I used this link https://www.acacia-au.com/skilled-migration-points-test.php :

Skilled Independent Subclass 189: 0 points

English language ability: I must get 7+, to have: 10 points

Australian educational qualification: (No) 0 points

Qualifications: Recognised bachelor degree or higher (I have a master's degree in Corporate Finance): 15 points

Overseas work experience: (Less than one year) 0 points

Partner skill qualifications: 0 points

Designated language: 0 points

I will make time to read about the 489. Re: it leads to a permanent visa, yes: "To qualify for permanent residence, you must live in a regional area for two years, and work full time in a regional area for at least 12 months." As far as I know currently the whole of WA is regional.

Thank you for your posts Lou, I appreciate them.

If you get 8+ in the ielts you would have enough points.