Two reasons to move to oz. Escape or new life.

linda@no9

I was told there are basically 2 reasons to move to oz. Escape whether thats to escape an old life, an ex spouse, debt, try to refresh a dying relationship, the other to start a new life as in change your lifestyle.

i think the common problem with the first is that problems will always follow you. There really is no point in running away from anything or anyone.

new life? Change your lifestyle? I'm warming to Perth, but I still have wobblies. Not sure what about, but small issues can be magnified when living in a strange country. Change my lifestyle? We were financially comfy back in uk, but things are a little more challenging here. We dont have anywhere near as much cash to throw around, but, what we do have is time as a family, whether that is the occasional meal out. My hubs takes me for a coffee on a weekend so we are having more quality time together. We have an extremely strong and close family unit and when feeling a little unsure of the move, we sit on the beach or have a coffee out and talk. I work from home and do miss him when he goes to work.

My only bit of advice when making a life changing move, because thats what it is, is the ability to talk to your partner and more importantly, the ability to listen. After all, you're all in the same boat.

In the case of WA though is there not a third reason and that is to come here and make money? I agree with what you are saying with reasons one and two. I also agree about talking to one another because I think that in many cases one person drives the move and the other gets sucked in. It has to be all 100% wanting to do it or if not then some form of lifestlye plan needs to be agreed where everyone gets what they want out of the move. Also the phrase " I am doing it for my kids". How do folk know that their kids will not be 100% happy in the UK and that they would go on to bigger and better things than the adults? A cliche that is possibly being used too often as a way for some people to justify the move for themselves perhaps?

Only saying........

Edited by StraighttothePoint

Sitting on Rockingham foreshore after work, looking at the sea, with the Galah's landing in the trees behind you and people just enjoying life - to me that is what its all about. Building a future for my family, worth every minute.

Back home cold, wet and dull. My 84 year old monther-in-law flew for the first time to come over here, and spent a month enjoying the life, and can't wait to come back!!!

Luv it.

Also the phrase " I am doing it for my kids". How do folk know that their kids will not be 100% happy in the UK and that they would go on to bigger and better things than the adults? A cliche that is possibly being used too often as a way for some people to justify the move for themselves perhaps?

I have to own up and say I am probably guilty of this as a justification...?! Currently wrestling with whether this will be a good move for bubs or whether taking them away from close family and friends will forever blight the little thing? They would be approximately 3 when we are thinking of making the move permanently.

Having not told my Mum and Dad that we have started the visa process I am scared...eeek! Plan is to break the news after their holiday and I'm fairly sure my Mum will be quick to point out the benefits of having family around. Must have answers ready for her...:chatterbox:

The truth is though...how will we ever know until we go?

I have to own up and say I am probably guilty of this as a justification...?! Currently wrestling with whether this will be a good move for bubs or whether taking them away from close family and friends will forever blight the little thing? They would be approximately 3 when we are thinking of making the move permanently. Having not told my Mum and Dad that we have started the visa process I am scared...eeek! Plan is to break the news after their holiday and I'm fairly sure my Mum will be quick to point out the benefits of having family around. Must have answers ready for her...:chatterbox: The truth is though...how will we ever know until we go?
With respect it is simple you wont know the answer until you get here. I will ask why do you want to come to Australia is it just for your children to give a better life? Think on it and do lots of research first. Again I will say I know I keep harping on about it social problems exist here as in the UK. I personally think they are worse here smaller population larger area and huge crime violent attacks house break ins rapes and murders drug and alcohol abuse road rage homelessness gangs etc etc etc. Australia is not all sand sea and sun as some people think it is back in the UK. I shall now shut the proverbial up.

ps sorry if I have burst your bubble

Hi Elfie,

No, our reasons are not just to give children a better life, though this is part of it. Without wanting to spend too much time time justifying our decision, it is also about our life as a family. My husband is currently forced to work away from home, due to lack of employment opportunities where we live. With a new baby at home this is an emotional wrench and as baby gets older they will no doubt begin to miss Daddy. One hope is that we can live and work in Australia with husband coming home at night to spend time with us.

With regard to social problems I am well aware that this will be the same the world over. Actually my profession relies on social problems and crime, so on the plus side perhaps it means there will be plenty of jobs for me when we come...:biggrin:

Guest guest9824
I have to own up and say I am probably guilty of this as a justification...?! Currently wrestling with whether this will be a good move for bubs or whether taking them away from close family and friends will forever blight the little thing? They would be approximately 3 when we are thinking of making the move permanently.

Having not told my Mum and Dad that we have started the visa process I am scared...eeek! Plan is to break the news after their holiday and I'm fairly sure my Mum will be quick to point out the benefits of having family around. Must have answers ready for her...:chatterbox:

The truth is though...how will we ever know until we go?

Yes mums have a habit of not taking the news too well, luckily my mum lives here, but when we told my MIL who has been like a mum to me, she was devastated, and couldn't understand why we would want to take the grand kids away and what was so wrong with the UK! My advice would be tell them when you are ready, and your reasons, and that you need to give it a go, it's never the end of the world of it doesn't work out, it's a 20 hour flight back, with the knowledge that you tried it. Elfie is right about things happening here, but I must say, where I live we have very little crime, like living in the Uk in the early seventies, but I guess we are lucky, bad things do happen here, like anywhere. As far as 'doing it for the kids' when they are old enough, as my eldest keeps telling me , they will be off travelling the world, as there isn't enough here for them, but hopefully they will be back to have and bring up their kids here hopefully, at which point I will be well into my midlife crisis and leaving home on my Harley like Thelma and Louise riding off into the abyss never to be seen again. Chins up could be worse, we could be in China sat in a pile of rubble....

​pea

Isn't it allowed to be anything shallow like wanting more sun and a beach lifestyle lol.

yes, life goes on, jeez all I've done today is food shop and tidy up, but now I'm sat outside in the sunshine, tee shirt only having a nice cold drink.

one thing I will say is the reality is totally different to the dreams we had before moving, but for the stage I am in my life right now, Perth is as perfect as it gets

Isn't it allowed to be anything shallow like wanting more sun and a beach lifestyle lol.

yes, life goes on, jeez all I've done today is food shop and tidy up, but now I'm sat outside in the sunshine, tee shirt only having a nice cold drink.

one thing I will say is the reality is totally different to the dreams we had before moving, but for the stage I am in my life right now, Perth is as perfect as it gets

I can live with the "shallow" stuff fifi69! :biggrin:

After the winter we have had and the summer we are likely to have, I am up for some sunshine in my life. I think I am prepared that it will be hard and life goes on...if it doesn't work out then we'll move mountains to come back.

With regard to social problems I am well aware that this will be the same the world over. Actually my profession relies on social problems and crime, so on the plus side perhaps it means there will be plenty of jobs for me when we come...:biggrin:

with regard to social problems my background is mental health crisis worker homeless worker substance misuse plus phlebotomy experience through running clinics - still waiting to get a job in my area 10 mths on. good luck

Elfie,

It sounds like you are perhaps feeling a bit disheartened by the move and the stresses it has brought, such as looking for work. It can't be easy, so kudos to you firstly for giving it a go and secondly for sticking it out!

While its great you are giving a dose of reality by pointing out the difficulties, your wishing me luck seemed to suggest you fully expect me not to get work? The tone of particular posts are hard to read however, so I might be wrong? Embarking on a huge move as this is daunting and I'm here to seek support, as well as balanced views on the hurdles ahead...thanks for your input.

New life for us. We lived in QLD in 08, moved back to UK, not through choice, and came back to Aus but this time Perth. Its not better than UK....its no worse than UK....its just different....

If different works for you then I guess its all good....

The orginal poster says it is about escaping from something or for a lifestyle change as to why folk move here and I added in "to make money" as a third possible reason. Your shallowness of wanting more sun and a beach way of life can of course can be included :biggrin: It fits in nicley to option number two :biggrin:

And cover yourself up - outside with only a tee shirt on I ask you :wacko:

There are plenty of social problems like the UK here but i think if you live in the right areas you are further away from the problem places unlike the UK where you could buy in one of the most exclusive areas for £1-2mil and still have bad area's within a stones throw because UK cities are very compact.

The reasons I added to escape was that you hear of some people who think they can save a dying relationship by making a massive change and you do hear of relationships hitting the fan not long after they arrive in Oz. Issues are only amplified when you are in a strange location and that can be anywhere, even uk based. I have to admit this was more my husbands dream than mine and yes, ive thrown at him (when emotionally upset) that this was his dream, but my home is where he and my kids are, I know that. Its tough planning this new life from the dining room table surrounded by familiar things, but sometimes, sun, sea and sangria so to speak aren't always the right reasons to up sticks and move half way around the world, (For me obviously)

The reasons I added to escape was that you hear of some people who think they can save a dying relationship by making a massive change and you do hear of relationships hitting the fan not long after they arrive in Oz. Issues are only amplified when you are in a strange location and that can be anywhere, even uk based. I have to admit this was more my husbands dream than mine and yes, ive thrown at him (when emotionally upset) that this was his dream, but my home is where he and my kids are, I know that. Its tough planning this new life from the dining room table surrounded by familiar things, but sometimes, sun, sea and sangria so to speak aren't always the right reasons to up sticks and move half way around the world, (For me obviously)

Great post Linda, we have to remember that our our motivations are all personal and the level of conviction in our decision will vary...

Elfie,

It sounds like you are perhaps feeling a bit disheartened by the move and the stresses it has brought, such as looking for work. It can't be easy, so kudos to you firstly for giving it a go and secondly for sticking it out!

While its great you are giving a dose of reality by pointing out the difficulties, your wishing me luck seemed to suggest you fully expect me not to get work? The tone of particular posts are hard to read however, so I might be wrong? Embarking on a huge move as this is daunting and I'm here to seek support, as well as balanced views on the hurdles ahead...thanks for your input.

No nothing of the sort although admittedly many hurdles been thrown at us and over come both my husband and I are made of better stock than to quit. When I joined this forum a long time back I wish someone had put reality checks for me it would been appreciated. Hopefully if you venture here you will obtain work quickly in your field and that is not condescending I wouldn't wish failure on anyone - thats just mean which I am not. If you read back on any of my posts I wish everyone good luck its a kind of signing off of a post really. I was not meaning to be condescending all though it seems it taken so. I just put an honest perspective across with my posts. Oh by the way I am working just not in field of choice within in 2 weeks of looking for work first interview first job I was lucky it is not the case for some. My postings are balanced from our perspective do not particularly care if they offend or please its just our perspective on things. No need to thank me for my input but your thanks is appreciated.

Good luck

Hi Elfie, yes, broken foot was it? I remember back in Uk, you never gave up although odds were stacked weren't they? The difference with me is we havent family we want to go back for. Yes we have them, but have chosen not to have them in our lives. Long story! All we do have is my son (hubs step son) and he's already applying for Geologist jobs here. We miss him desperately but hes out in July. He was the one who said not to put our lives on hold for him, because he wants to live his and wont put his on hold for us. Smart lad my boy.

Hi Linda

Yea broken foot tenant pulled out of renting house stuck in UK with no furniture totally dependent hubby in already in Oz nearly need the mental health crisis team myself hahaa got here4 mths in hubby nearly made redundant bla bla of course thats just a few hurdles we have over come eh? Oh and funny we still here

From my experience, those that come trying to escape something, rarely workout in Oz, as they just find the same issues here plus some.

Work is a funny thing in Oz and in particular Perth - some jobs barely seem to exist and others far more common.

I think the work / life balance is slightly worse in Oz. All of the companies i have worked at hav required longer hours than the UK and holidays are less - it is rare to get more than 20 per year.

Money, can be more, but that needs careful research, as many arent when compared against cost of living.

As for a better future for kids, personally i think that is a very poor reason to come. Education is certainly no better - recent goverment reports suggest half of Ozzies leave school with no qualifacations and barely literate. Job wise, youth unemployment is actually higher in Oz and Oz has all the social problems of anywhere else that parents worry about.

As for the big "outdoor" thing. I actually see less kids playing out than i did in the UK. If you were not a big outdoor type in the UK you wont be here.

Guest mrandmrslumsden

were moving as a life long dream was to always retire abroad but with the possiblilties that Australia can offer makes you think why wait another 30 years. We have a morgage in the UK and hopefully going to keep the house and rent it out, so Australia for us will be a new life starting from scratch which will be hard at first but with the boasted life style, weather and the chance to experiance new things it should be all worth it any way back to my life now just getting ready for my night shift unfortunately its an expensive move so must work hard for things to get moving lol see ya

were moving as a life long dream was to always retire abroad but with the possiblilties that Australia can offer makes you think why wait another 30 years. We have a morgage in the UK and hopefully going to keep the house and rent it out, so Australia for us will be a new life starting from scratch which will be hard at first but with the boasted life style, weather and the chance to experiance new things it should be all worth it any way back to my life now just getting ready for my night shift unfortunately its an expensive move so must work hard for things to get moving lol see ya

Great post, and if you keep to that kinda thinking you will do ok. You can look on the bright side or the negative . Perth isn't utopia but its got some great things going on.

if your worrier about money or come from a close knit family, or brill set of mates you may struggle. If you and better half are both behind the move then ride out the tough first months/years and you will be fine

From my experience, those that come trying to escape something, rarely workout in Oz, as they just find the same issues here plus some.

Work is a funny thing in Oz and in particular Perth - some jobs barely seem to exist and others far more common.

I think the work / life balance is slightly worse in Oz. All of the companies i have worked at hav required longer hours than the UK and holidays are less - it is rare to get more than 20 per year.

Money, can be more, but that needs careful research, as many arent when compared against cost of living.

As for a better future for kids, personally i think that is a very poor reason to come. Education is certainly no better - recent goverment reports suggest half of Ozzies leave school with no qualifacations and barely literate. Job wise, youth unemployment is actually higher in Oz and Oz has all the social problems of anywhere else that parents worry about.

As for the big "outdoor" thing. I actually see less kids playing out than i did in the UK. If you were not a big outdoor type in the UK you wont be here.

I have to totally agree with the above, pity I couldnt have written my reply post like this