Domain Name

Sorrel

Hi,

Has anyone had any experience of buying a .com.au ?

I have found what I want but I don't seem to be able to reserve the domain without paying for lots of extras or having to justify my reason for wanting it. It doesn't appear to be like 123 or 1and1 in the UK, where you can buy a domain for a few quid and set up email etc without it costing a small fortune.

Any comments welcomed!

I always use http://www.crazydomains.com.au/ for .com.au domains and dynadot.com for everything else (unfortunately, dynadot don't do .com.au's)

Never have to pay for any extras. Remember, to register a .com.au you need an ABN number and your business name is supposed to be associated with the domain (never had a problem with that though)

• 4 months later...

Sorry to dig up an old thread.

To get a domain do you need to register both the company name and business?

Is it like in the UK with companies house? or it it easier / harder?

I have a business idea which I dont want to spend too much money on at the moment but would like to get the domain.

Any advice welcome!

Sorry to dig up an old thread.

To get a domain do you need to register both the company name and business?

Is it like in the UK with companies house? or it it easier / harder?

I have a business idea which I dont want to spend too much money on at the moment but would like to get the domain.

Any advice welcome!

Eligibility requirements for registering a .com.au are below:

1. To be eligible for a domain name in the com.au 2LD, registrants must be: a) an Australian registered company; or

b) trading under a registered business name in any Australian State or Territory; or

c) an Australian partnership or sole trader; or

d) a foreign company licensed to trade in Australia; or

e) an owner of an Australian Registered Trade Mark; or

f) an applicant for an Australian Registered Trade Mark; or

g) an association incorporated in any Australian State or Territory; or

h) an Australian commercial statutory body.

2. Domain names in the com.au 2LD must be:

a) an exact match, abbreviation or acronym of the registrant’s name or trademark; or

b) otherwise closely and substantially connected to the registrant, in accordance with the categories of “close and substantial connection” set out in the Guidelines on the Interpretation of Policy Rules for the Open 2LDs.

3. A domain name may also be registered in the com.au 2LD under paragraph 2(b) for the purpose of domain monetisation, in accordance with the explanation of “domain monetisation” set out in the Guidelines on the Interpretation of Policy Rules for the Open 2LDs, provided that the following conditions are met:

a) the content on the website to which the domain name resolves must be related specifically and predominantly to subject matter denoted by the domain name; and

b) the domain name must not be, or incorporate, an entity name, personal name or brand name in existence at the time the domain name was registered*.

* Definitions:

• “entity name” means the name of an Australian registered company or incorporated association as listed with the Australian Securities and Investment Commission (ASIC), or the name of an Australian government body. It does not include a registered business name;
  • “personal name” means the given name(s) and/or last name of a person; and
  • “brand name” means the name of an identifiable and distinctive product or service, whether commercial or non-commercial.