Snake!

Rosshf

So, one year in and I saw my first live snake yesterday about 5 mins walk north from the play park at Mullaloo. It was at least 1 metre long and about 5m in front of the pram I was pushing! It slithered very quickly across the coastal path from one side to the other. I was alerted by my 3 year old daughter saying "daddy a big worm". It had zero interest in us and disappeared into the undergrowth and was out of site within seconds. All very exciting.

Ross

Guest guest9824
So, one year in and I saw my first live snake yesterday about 5 mins walk north from the play park at Mullaloo. It was at least 1 metre long and about 5m in front of the pram I was pushing! It slithered very quickly across the coastal path from one side to the other. I was alerted by my 3 year old daughter saying "daddy a big worm". It had zero interest in us and disappeared into the undergrowth and was out of site within seconds. All very exciting.

Ross

Its snake season now, all the lovely snakes are waking up from a nice snakey snooze:biggrin:...what colour was it? Think the sand dunes get more tiger snakes than browns, but you never know. Stay safe Ross, you have a chippy to open!:biggrin:

Its snake season now, all the lovely snakes are waking up from a nice snakey snooze:biggrin:...what colour was it? Think the sand dunes get more tiger snakes than browns, but you never know. Stay safe Ross, you have a chippy to open!:biggrin:

Haha, thanks.

I thought it looked grey. My father-in-law thought it was brown. Any idea what it was?

Guest guest9824

hmmm, not sure, I know browns really are brown, we had one in the garden, OH kicked it 'accidentally' thinking it was a branch, then it moved!!!!:shocked:...Grey snakes, not sure, I think tigers have stripes (as the name would suggest). Think you get alot at the beaches in some places, so be careful. There should be signs to alert you to snake presence, but I guess the snakes dont read the signs!!!:wink:...When is the big opening???

hmmm, not sure, I know browns really are brown, we had one in the garden, OH kicked it 'accidentally' thinking it was a branch, then it moved!!!!:shocked:...Grey snakes, not sure, I think tigers have stripes (as the name would suggest). Think you get alot at the beaches in some places, so be careful. There should be signs to alert you to snake presence, but I guess the snakes dont read the signs!!!:wink:...When is the big opening???

Hopefully October 9th if everything goes to plan!

It was probably a dugite. This is a member of e brown snake family. They are highly venomous and fast moving but also very timid. They are one of the most common snakes in WA.

Very common on sand dunes - and ton some extent beaches. We have lots of them where I live.

They can vary in colour between grey to brown and spotted.

They are one of the better venomous snakes to live with as they are so timid and even if forced to strike they often dry bite - bite but don't inject venom.

The tiger is a lot rarer and likes woodland. It is normally stripped, though stripes can be hard to spot, particularly when ready to shed. These are much more aggressive and will often hold their ground when approached.

Guest guest9824
It was probably a dugite. This is a member of e brown snake family. They are highly venomous and fast moving but also very timid. They are one of the most common snakes in WA.

Very common on sand dunes - and ton some extent beaches. We have lots of them where I live.

They can vary in colour between grey to brown and spotted.

They are one of the better venomous snakes to live with as they are so timid and even if forced to strike they often dry bite - bite but don't inject venom.

The tiger is a lot rarer and likes woodland. It is normally stripped, though stripes can be hard to spot, particularly when ready to shed. These are much more aggressive and will often hold their ground when approached.

There is a place in Mundering called the Lavender Patch, it was a cafe with lavender growing all over the place, you could walk through the lavender and woodland but there was signs everywhere about tiger snakes....I stayed in the cafe and ate cake! :biggrin:

Saw this yesterday while out walking the dog. Luckily it was dead otherwise would'nt of got so close. It smelt awful so had probably been dead a while. Not sure what it was.. maybe a dugite as it was dark brown.

Also saw another snake last week. Again, not sure what it was but after googling it, I think it was a black tiger snake. That one was very much alive and could'nt get close enough to get a picture.

20131002_131750.jpg