Vetassess Advice

jojo1310

Good Morning fellow Poms in the UK and Australia!! :wink:

I was wondering if any of you could give me some advice on VETASSESS. My boyfriend is a fully qualified electrician. I know that VETASSESS is a procedure in which his skills are to be assessed and to see if he can work in OZ, but if he has all the relevant certificates and qualifications, why should he have to be assessed when it is clear to see he is fully qualified?

I am just wondering and wanted to know if it is an area of the WA visa application process that we won't have to do, (as it's SUPER pricey!) or whether it's a necessity for my bf to complete before we start the process.

Many Thanks!

Jo

It has to be done and is just the beginning. After getting the visa he must then apply to energy safety for a provisional license $75, Go to TAFE( college) for 2 weeks $2300, Do a communications course $300 and do a large amount of homework. Once he gets a job he must fill out a logbook that his employer signs off then when this is all complete he can sit the same trade test as Australian apprentices. Then when he gets a pass from the TAFE he can go back to Vetassess and pay $140 for a cert 3 which then allows him to pay around $500 for a license. Also factor in using all your holidays or taking unpaid leave to do the courses. Whole lot will take a year, maybe more if unlucky getting test and course dates.

It has to be done and is just the beginning. After getting the visa he must then apply to energy safety for a provisional license $75, Go to TAFE( college) for 2 weeks $2300, Do a communications course $300 and do a large amount of homework. Once he gets a job he must fill out a logbook that his employer signs off then when this is all complete he can sit the same trade test as Australian apprentices. Then when he gets a pass from the TAFE he can go back to Vetassess and pay $140 for a cert 3 which then allows him to pay around $500 for a license. Also factor in using all your holidays or taking unpaid leave to do the courses. Whole lot will take a year, maybe more if unlucky getting test and course dates.

Wow. So a lot of money and time then! They don't half make it hard to get in, don't they! Thanks for the help colinmacl.

I pressume all of the TAFE business is once your visa has been granted and you're living in Australia. What if he does all this and can't find work as a spark? If he works for another firm, and not necessarily as an electrician, will that make our visa null and void?

Yes you have to be living here to do all this and any company that says they can do this in the UK is stealing your money so don't fall for it. I don't think it matters if you do a different type of work regarding your visa but someone else may know the answer to that one.

Thanks again colinmacl. Guess we better start saving then?

• 2 months later...

My husband is a spark too and we've been researching a move for years. I've been in touch with the college for electrical training in perth and they have sent me an information leaflet on the course he will need to do when he lands and it works out at about £1300 so a bit cheaper than the one at tafe and from reading it it looks like the comms element is included (I maybe wrong on that one though)

It's a complete bug bear of my other half's all the vetassess malarkey and he thinks its just a money earber but that's another story!

Hi Alanlisa, I jsut typed a reply and I'm not sure where it's got to!? But thanks for the advice, very useful! I will do some research. Do you know where abouts they do the training? I think it's so unfair that full qualified sparks have to do vetassess,; if you have all the certs then you shouldn't have to prove it by testing and exams and thousands of pounds!

How far are you guys with visa process? I take it you're going for the 190??

Yes 190 for us. Just sorting all the paperwork out for vetassess at the moment.

There are 3 locations in WA where u can complete the course. I know there will be further costs involved with getting the licence but that's my next research point.

Years ago all u needed to do was show ur JIB card! Wish we applied then ;-)

Yes 190 for us. Just sorting all the paperwork out for vetassess at the moment.

There are 3 locations in WA where u can complete the course. I know there will be further costs involved with getting the licence but that's my next research point.

Years ago all u needed to do was show ur JIB card! Wish we applied then ;-)

My fiance and I went over to Oz in 2011 and worked there for 7 months. If we could have forseen how we feel now, we would have stayed for another 2 years and at least then it would have been easier (and cheaper!!) to gain residency! Oh well, everything happens for a reason eh?

I find it all a little overwhelming. Is it just the two of you going or do you have children?

• 1 month later...

Hi jojo1310 and Alanlisa,

I'm also an electrician and me and my partner are looking to take the adventure and live in OZ too. I'm just wondering what is the procedure for the TRA/Vatassess ?? Is it just a case of sending of sending off your certificates and or is there an exam? if so what does the exam require.

I haven't started the visa process yet but looking to cover all bases before i do anything, I would preferable like to take the TRA/Vatassess before I start my visa.

Also did either of you have to take a english test? not sure if this is compulsory or not.

Sorry about the questions.

I wish it was as easy as just sending off ur certificates. First u have to 2 write a paper assessment with work experience qualification details etc then there's a practical assessment. This all has to be done b4 ur visa application.

English test is only needed if u need to make up points.

Hope this helps :sly:

One question i would ask is, how long have you been a spark? Some qualifications are transferrable if you have relevant experience. I have moved as a mechanical engineer and my experience with my qualifications were enough for Vetassess to say i have the equivalent to an australian diploma. Its worth a lot of research on this. My mate is also a spark who came about 18 months ago and has not had to do any further tests. He just proved his experience.

Amount of experience makes no difference with sparkys. Your mate was lucky he got his license before the changes and he would have had to still do a 2 week course. All sparks do the gap training regardless of previous experience. Vetassess give you the cert 3 once you complete the gap training before that during your migration they give you an equivalent which allows you to apply for a visa then upon arrival entitles you to apply for an electrical workers permit and do the gap training. That's just the way it is as of 1st July 2012. People with TRA ie holiday visas came on to the new system on jan 2013. No amount of research will find you a different answer. Best to listen to the sparkys who have arrived recently.