10 day Quarantine

Daveakaginge

Yes great news for those coming after that date.....it's been on the cards for a while but nobody knew how long the ins and out would take.

For my boys its a year too late....most animals sail thru it. One of mine though has never been quite the same since going thru it.

Yes great news for those coming after that date.....it's been on the cards for a while but nobody knew how long the ins and out would take.

For my boys its a year too late....most animals sail thru it. One of mine though has never been quite the same since going thru it.

Oh poor little thing. What's different about him? It's one of my biggest concerns that they will come out with different characters/behaviours. My boy cat, especially, has such a big personality I would hate for him to lose it :frown:

It's great news for those coming out and I am glad the powers that be have seen sense finally.

Nikki - my two still seem the same. My Beagle is just very anxious as I know she wants out. Not being out of her kennel for over two weeks now is not good for her. She needs to burn some energy. My terrier is just wanting kisses and cuddles and I am sure wants to be back in the land of pampering and tickles on demand again.

Byford still don't know whether they are re-opening next year (they seem to have this each year according to the girls who work there) so at least if your pets have to go to Sydney, it will only be for 10 days.

Yes Byford is definitely closed permanently, this is the response I received from Dept of Agriculture, when I asked for clarification:

Dear Tracey

Thank you for your email.

I wish to advise that the Byford quarantine facility in Perth has been permanently closed. This closure is due to the ongoing difficulty of managing the high risk posed by bushfires at Byford. In future, all dogs and cats will be imported into Australia through quarantine facilities in eastern Australia, currently in Sydney (Eastern Creek) and Melbourne (Spotswood).

I appreciate that this may be a difficult issue for you; however, staff and animal safety are the critical factors that have guided the decision to permanently close the facility. Bushfires are commonplace in Australia and it has been necessary to evacuate staff from Byford in the recent past, in the face of rapidly advancing fires.

It has not always been possible to also evacuate the animals held in the facility. Abandoning animals in the face of danger is stressful for staff and it would be catastrophic for owners if their animals were to be affected.

To find out more about the quarantine facilities or the new import conditions you can visit our website at: www.daff.gov.au/biosecurity/cat-dogs.

If you require more information, please contact us on +61 2 6272 4454 during the Australian working hours of 9am to 12:00noon and 1:30pm to 4:30pm (Eastern Daylight Savings Time).

Kind Regards

Amanda

Permit Assessing Officer | Animal Import Operations Branch | Permits, Planning and Performance

Phone +61 2 6272 4454| Fax +61 2 6272 3110

Department of Agriculture

Animal Division

7 London Circuit, Canberra ACT 2601 Australia

GPO Box 858 Canberra ACT 2601 Australia

e-mail: animalimports@daff.gov.au | Website:http://www.daff.gov.au/biosecurity/import/live-animals