Hot hot hot

Glenlivet

So, we landed on Monday to a house and 2 cars to use, thanks to a rellie out of the country at the mo, yaay! Settling in ok and loving the change. But what is the trick to coping with the heat? Certain times we should avoid being outdoors?!?

Have 6 year old and can't be indoors all day. He's struggling with heat and wants to stay indoors all the time!

:unsure:

Hi Glenlivet, welcome to perth!

Not been here too long so dont have that much 'advice' but my kids have been taught (already!) the saying 'between 11 and 3 sit under a tree' so do anything you need to do early or late. We have found that a trip to the beach also helps a lot with the heat. I read on here a tip about using an ice pack as a 'cold water bottle' at night (wrapped in a towel) works a treat for my 7 year old who was finding it very hard to sleep in the heat.

I am sure others will be along soon that have been here longer and have more seasoned advice!

I have to say today seems to have been a particularly bad day in terms of humidity, I have stayed indoors all day and still sweated, and that's with the air con on. We did find the other day when it was hot, we went out at 7.00pm saw the sun set at Hilaries, had an ice cream and paddled in the water in the harbour, then lay on the beach to star gaze and watch the international space station fly over, and it felt like we were on holiday, I really had to pinch myself as we actually live here and its our home, it was warm but not hot and the paddling was lovely, even though the sea gulls were trying to nest for the night. I know you might feel that you need to get out and see the World as you have just got here, but you have months and months to find your feet, just take it easy, stay indoors if need be and drink plenty of water, frozen juice cartons are also good for the kids to help cool them down.

So, we landed on Monday to a house and 2 cars to use, thanks to a rellie out of the country at the mo, yaay! Settling in ok and loving the change. But what is the trick to coping with the heat? Certain times we should avoid being outdoors?!?

Have 6 year old and can't be indoors all day. He's struggling with heat and wants to stay indoors all the time!

:unsure:

Could be worse, Cold ,cold cold.............................buy a house with a pool or live close to the beach!!!! Or do what I did live further south!!!!!

Ooooh glad you are settling in! Def a bit of a culture shock for the smalls when you go from chilly to hot!! I think everyone has provided very helpful and good tips so use them all. Just make the most of it, get up early which i find is easy in Perth and crack on! Chill int he middle of the day and voila! I think OZ day will be busy but not rammed! Go for it! Kings Park shall be good I imagine! xx

Guest guest9824

I must admit we have been living up at the pool over the last few days, haven't put the air con on until later in the evening still on 22degrees....it takes the heat off, but we were still swimming in the pool on Friday night til 10.00pm and it was lovely, night swimming has to be one of the best things about summer here IMO...

kings park will be busy today, so if you are thinking of going there, maybe leave home soon, and don't forget the roads close early on up there too, and don't reopen til very late tonight. Trains and buses are the best bet if you are venturing in to the city...have a great day and try to stay cool...:cute:

I must admit we have been living up at the pool over the last few days, haven't put the air con on until later in the evening still on 22degrees....it takes the heat off, but we were still swimming in the pool on Friday night til 10.00pm and it was lovely, night swimming has to be one of the best things about summer here IMO...

kings park will be busy today, so if you are thinking of going there, maybe leave home soon, and don't forget the roads close early on up there too, and don't reopen til very late tonight. Trains and buses are the best bet if you are venturing in to the city...have a great day and try to stay cool...:cute:

We are soooo getting a pool at our next house! (and air con would have been nice this week as well!)