Monthly household outgoings - have I missed anything?

SaffanZimbo

I am just trying to work out how much $'s we will need for monthly outgoings on arrival and would welcome any feedback. I am unsure about costs of insurance for the car (VW Passat Estate 2009) and motorbike (Honda Fireblade CBR999 2006 model) so have estimated. The Health Insurance is also an estimate as we are a family of 2 adults and 2 children aged 5 & 7 so would need cover which includes ambulance, dental. We have a rental budget of around $550/week but hoping to spend less :smile:.

I have also looked into before and after school costs but havn't put these in as I am hoping not to work for the first 3 months... (OH not sure we can afford it though!). In other I hope to include swimming and ballet classes which I am keen for both girls to continue with. We don't drink or smoke so groceries are the basics.

[TABLE=width: 361]

[TR]

[TD]Monthly bills [/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Car insurance[/TD]

[TD=align: right]$75.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Car rego[/TD]

[TD=align: right]$50.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Electricity [/TD]

[TD=align: right]$150.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Groceries [/TD]

[TD=align: right]$800.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Health insurace[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]House contents insurance[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Mobile[/TD]

[TD=align: right]$70.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Motorbike insurance[/TD]

[TD=align: right]$60.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Motorbike rego[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Petrol[/TD]

[TD=align: right]$250.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Phone/broadband/Foxtel [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Rent [/TD]

[TD=align: right]$2,200.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Water[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Other[/TD]

[TD=align: right]$385.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]TOTAL[/TD]

[TD=align: right]$4,500.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

My opinion is underestimating foxtel/broadband/phone. We pay $130 for Fox, $100 for broadband and don't have a phone.

Gas would be $50 a month I'd say.

Contents insurance also a bit on the low side, I would increase that to $100 a month (depending on what you insure of course)

One mobile or two? We each have iphones on pay as you go and it's $30 each a month

Probably increase the groceries bill as well as there are 4 of you, we spend $150-$200 per week as a couple

school costs - even at government schools you need to pay the contributions, then there are voluntary contributions to the P&C and equipment that needs to be bought (you buy all the pencils and books here) and don't underestimate the cost of school uniform!

For us at a state school to give you an idea, the contributions for 1 child at our school are $85, the equipment list for this year was about $100 (child going into year 2), then there were some additional items that needed to be bought probably about another $20 and uniform (tops we had to get from school at $20 each, shorts / skirts we could get from the supermarkets but were somewhere between about $10 and $20).

Thanks everyone for their feedback. I've taken all your suggestions into account and now just shy of $5k / month. School uniforms and supplies was the one I totally forgot about.

I think most state school uniforms are with trainers as opposed to leather brown/black shoes (which cost a fortune in Clarks) . Should I stock up ahead of coming or are trainers quite cheap in Perth?

I am just trying to work out how much $'s we will need for monthly outgoings on arrival and would welcome any feedback. I am unsure about costs of insurance for the car (VW Passat Estate 2009) and motorbike (Honda Fireblade CBR999 2006 model) so have estimated. The Health Insurance is also an estimate as we are a family of 2 adults and 2 children aged 5 & 7 so would need cover which includes ambulance, dental. We have a rental budget of around $550/week but hoping to spend less :smile:.

I have also looked into before and after school costs but havn't put these in as I am hoping not to work for the first 3 months... (OH not sure we can afford it though!). In other I hope to include swimming and ballet classes which I am keen for both girls to continue with. We don't drink or smoke so groceries are the basics.

[TABLE=width: 361]

[TR]

[TD]Monthly bills [/TD]

[TD][/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Car insurance[/TD]

[TD=align: right]$75.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Car rego[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Electricity [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Groceries [/TD]

[TD=align: right]$800.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Health insurace[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]House contents insurance[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Mobile[/TD]

[TD=align: right]$70.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Motorbike insurance[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Motorbike rego[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Petrol[/TD]

[TD=align: right]$250.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Phone/broadband/Foxtel [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Rent [/TD]

[TD=align: right]$2,200.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Water[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Other[/TD]

[TD=align: right]$385.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]TOTAL[/TD]

[TD=align: right]$4,500.00[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Depending on what sort of rental you get your electric could be a lot more. We have pool and aircon and our cheapest bill last year was $550 for 2 months, most expensive $750 for 2 months. I also think you could spend more on shopping. I spend between $300 and $350 a week for a family of 4. If you have gas cooking and water you are looking at a gas bill of around $160 for 3 months. $70 for 2 mobiles is also a little unrealistic for a decent plan. I pay $60 for mine with Telstra.

Guest guest9824
Depending on what sort of rental you get your electric could be a lot more. We have pool and aircon and our cheapest bill last year was $550 for 2 months, most expensive $750 for 2 months. I also think you could spend more on shopping. I spend between $300 and $350 a week for a family of 4. If you have gas cooking and water you are looking at a gas bill of around $160 for 3 months. $70 for 2 mobiles is also a little unrealistic for a decent plan. I pay $60 for mine with Telstra.

Arwen, glad to read that we are not the only ones who get big lekky bills like you ( not glad that we have to pay that much though...:() I thought we were supplying the whole street with electric at one point, the bill was so big, but splits and pools do cost to run!