job market in perth

jalaswami

Perth is quite expensive, I know our unemployment rate has risen recently but I can't recall the percentage. I know that some people have struggled to get jobs both skilled and unskilled - I think unless you have something lined up, or can come across for a few weeks to sound out the market you will be running a risk.

I have been here seven months with my husband and three kids. It took my hubby seven months to find a job and he has over 20 years experience in his field and was highly thought of back in the UK in respect of his business and the clients he worked for. It has been hard work and a very up and down emotional roller coaster ride, but we all love it here, and Perth will always be our home. I have not thought once about returning to the UK. We have actually started to look for our own home this week.

Its like everything, you live to your means, there are expensive, medium and cheap housing around, same for food. We don't tend to eat out as much as we use to in the UK, but we have found meat here to be cheaper, so its cheaper to eat and drink at home, but then we can sit outside in the garden with our music on and just relax. Not something we use to do a lot of in the UK.

Unfortunately no one can help you make the decision, only give you their experience.

Good luck with whatever decision you make.

Sarah

Hi David

My husband is a construction project manager. I hope your move goes well.

Sarah

7 months that's really scary .. My husband is the same , Oz is our dream but know its unreachable now with Oz job market ... 4 years ago thus job was in high demand with sponsorship , unfortunately now we've missed the boat ! Good luck and enjoy your new life down under :biglaugh:

Hi Lookingtoleave

Seven months is a long time, but we planned for it, so it was not too bad, we just saw it as an extended holiday and made the most of it. As you said though a few years ago the job market was booming and all the agencies he saw said he would have walked straight from the plane into a job. To be completely honest, he did not really start looking until Sept/Oct time and things had just started to die down for Xmas and the long six weeks holiday. Someone else who has just started with him company only came out in Dec and started work in Jan, so timing is a thing here as well.

Can I ask why you have missed the boat. Have you made it out here, but can't find work or are you still back in the UK. There are lots of jobs advertised it is just about getting your foot in the door for the first one.