Reasonable commuting distance from Nedlands?

Bouncy

Hello everyone! Hope someone can share their insider knowledge! I post fairly regularly on poms in oz but as it's western Australia we're hoping to end up I should be asking my questions on here! I read a lot on here and you all seem like a friendly and very helpful bunch!!

So...im a children's nurse, and as there is a new children's hospital being built in Nedlands I'm hedging my bets this may be a one of the main places it's likely I'd get a job (fingers crossed anyway). So I'd like to look at areas that would be within reasonable commuting distance to Nedlands, say 30 minutes ish, north or south, I had been looking at the mandurah area as I have a friend there but it seems this may be too far? We are a family of four, with young children, dont need much of a nightlife scene, just local shops, parks and amenities. Oh and affordable!! I'm guessing $500 per week should be doable on my wage. Not too far from the beach but doesn't have to be on our doorstep. I loved the look of meadow spring but think it's going to be too far out!

Any insight would be much appreciated

Xx

Can only really help with the SOR burbs, I would say try and stick with an area near a train station.

You could have a look at areas around, Bull Creek, Murdoch, Cockburn, Wellard and Rockingham.

My first thoughts on reading your post was Hammond Park, a newish burb but has everything you would need. A new school has just opened there too. The nearest beaches, which aren't surf beaches so are child friendly would be a 20 min drive.

A bit further out but still doable would be Baldivis which may give you more house for your money.

So many more...but I need to get ready for work!!

good luck x

Welcome over from the dark side then :biggrin:

Mandurah to Nedlands is quite some distance. The train journey to the city is around 45 minutes but you'd have to factor in getting to the station and then to the hospital at the other end. there is a bus to the site but that's probably another 15 minutes.

Parking around the area is something of a nightmare and driving into the city in rush hour would likely take considerably longer than the train.

There are many suburbs that meet your criteria, most places are 'not too far from the beach' and have plenty of parks so you may need to be a little more explicit about your requirements - schools, what kind of lifestyle you want and whether you're prepared to look at temporary accommodation and get to know the place a little better before settling.

Thanks for those replies fifi69 and portlaunay! I'll take a look at Hammond park! Good schools is high up the list as I have two little boys. The things that we access most here are parks, supermarket, swimming pool, cafes and the odd restaurant on a rare night out, like once a month ish! I like the idea of the newer suburbs as I like the newer looking houses, which is odd since here in the u.k. the older the house the better for me! Child friendly beach a short drive away if possible. We're prepared to look at temp accommodation to look around at areas, just want to narrow it down to a few areas so I can research (my favourite pastime at the minute!).

I've managed to narrow down to a few suburbs around the mandurah area just in case a job comes up in that area, and my friend has been able to advise. My worry is getting the children into school or kindy in the right area, so we don't end up having to move them unnecessarily! My head is spinning!! So many areas!!

Any suggestions much appreciated!! thank you!

The children's hospital (Princess Margaret Hospital PMH) in Nedlands is not near a train station - probably a 15 mins walk to Karrakata or Shenton stations so you'll have to bus it or drive. Parking at the hospital is $21 a day for visitors but staff may be given a slight discount on this. Once PMH opens then you'll be struggling for space. They've just built a large multistory car park which is OK at the moment but that will change. Parking around Nedlands is a nightmare as it is full of Uni students looking for spots as well as three hospitals. I'd go on the transperth website to help you with areas. If it was me, I would be compromising on the house and going for a smaller, or older one to get nearer to work and good schools. To check schools - http://www.myschool.edu.au/ type in suburb, go to graph 'results in number' - if it is green then you're OK!

I echo Scot above, the hospital isn't convenient to a station so would be a walk (which in the summer would be a bit of a bind). They must offer staff some concessions for parking as I have a friend working at Charles Gardner and she drives there and parks every day. She lives NOR in Craigie and says it takes her about 40 minutes to drive in. I work in Subiaco (5 minutes from Nedlands) and drive in from the Cockburn area SOR and it takes me similar - about 40 minutes.

You could use those suburbs as the 'outer' boundary and then see what you can find for your budget within that.

Although the western suburbs around the new Princess Margaret Hospital are quite expensive, when you consider that you could walk to work or take a short bus ride (nearly all buses go through the Sir Charles Gardiner Hospital grounds where PMH is being constructed) it may well be worth the extra $200 a week in rent. The schools in this area are all very good, there is an abundance of playgrounds, parks and sporting grounds, Kings Park is nearby and you would likely manage with one car. We live in Nedlands and do pay a lot of rent, but we manage easily with just the one family car. Our children get the bus to school in Swanbourne (50c), hubby gets the bus or train into the city to work ($2.30) and I also get the bus to the Kings Park Road and walk 5 minutes to PMH ($2.30). If I drive and park, it currently costs me $16 for 8 hours parking.

If we lived in the southern or northern suburbs, we would need two cars and we would be spending a lot more time and money doing school runs, after-school sporting activities and paying to park. Our calculations showed that it would cost us close to $200 a week by the time we factored in a car loan, fuel, maintenance and parking. It is so stress free living close to everything and we lose very little time in commuting. As much as I hate paying the landlord such high rent, it is going to come out of my purse one way or the other.