Ikea kitchens.....

Guest guest9824

Guest guest9824

...anyone bought one from ikea? had one installed by ikea?

Any recommendations for kitchen companies, full fit out plus laundry potentially...please...:cute:

pea :)

I have just done mine. You pay $100 and someone comes to the house, measures the kitchen and designs it with you in 3D on the computer. Before they come you go to ikea and pick the door fronts, bench top, handles, sink etc you want so that is incorporated in the drawings. If you want to go ahead everything can be delivered in a week , worth paying for delivery as it saves so much time and hassle. I have a great handy man who charges $60 an hour and he put it in for me though I helped by putting all the flat packs together and being a general dogs body, that saved time and money. Whole kitchen cost around $10,000 - units, installation and a couple of appliances.

I designed and fitted my own Ikea kitchen in the UK and it was very easy.

I used their online tool, placed the order online and they picked and delivered it. The pieces that were missing were offset by the extra bits they gave me and when I went to return them and get the bits they'd missed they didn't want them back.

The only issues I found was that there were no services cavity built into the back of the units which I was used to with other kits. They were designed to be fitted flush to the wall and mine had pipework, electrical sockets and a wobbly wall that made this impossible. In the end I just battened onto the wall and fixed the cabinets to this.

The other problem was that the space for the double oven was designed for an Ikea unit and cavity was either too small with the shelf in one position or a huge gap at the top with it in another. There was an easy workaround though so it wasn't too much hassle.

We also went for one of their expensive worktops which had to be tailor made. That only lasted less than a year because it stained, the trim peeled away and the join 'blew' where it hadn't been properly sealed. I turned down a replacement, got a small amount of compensation after a fight and made my own after that.

It's been in around six years and still looks pretty good. I wouldn't buy another but that's only because I'm a lot more environmentally aware now so I'd just go for recycled.

Guest guest9824

Many thanks to you all for the above info, that's exactly what was looking for, first hand experience.

Scot1 does your handyman only do local jobs? Would he consider Kalamunda, and does he rip out the old kitchen?

Porty what worktops did you have that stained? Curious as that is my worry with the stone worktops, having not had stone before. Or the wood ones? Do they stain, I'm assuming yes. I am a little bit worried as I'm not the most careful cook in the world and tend to put hot pans on surfaces, drop beet root on worktops etc,you get the picture! I am also quite surprised how small the ovens are at ikea, I want to source everything from there as it will be easier, just not sure about the oven...but then the cupboards are made to fit their appliances so not sure how to get round that.

Nic that's good to hear that that internals are of a better quality than others on the market.

Anyone had high gloss cupboards? I'm thinking with me being so OCD every time there is a mark on them (which will be many times) I will be having to clean them....any tips, experiences with them?

He is working in Kalamunda the next two weeks I think so yes, he will go there. He did my laundry and bathroom too, and three friends have used him for bathrooms and kitchens. Totally honest, you can give him a key and leave him to it, and yes will gut everything, do tiling, floorboards etc. He's about to do my decking and a pagola.

Hi Pea

I had high gloss doors back in the UK and I was constantly cleaning them, shouting at the kids for finger marks etc. There is no way around it other than forbidding any one else in your kitchen which obviously does not work, due to kids wanting to be fed and watered constantly, I did find baby oil (just a little bit of it on a dry cloth) rubbed onto the door handles got rid of sticky fingers marks and you literally just had to wipe them to get the marks off.

Good luck with choosing a new kitchen I know it can be stressful finding the one you want but once its in it will be worth it.

Sarah

Guest guest9824
He is working in Kalamunda the next two weeks I think so yes, he will go there. He did my laundry and bathroom too, and three friends have used him for bathrooms and kitchens. Totally honest, you can give him a key and leave him to it, and yes will gut everything, do tiling, floorboards etc. He's about to do my decking and a pagola.

Scot1 could you pm me his details if that's ok. Obviously we aren't ready yet, I still have to get the bank of hubby to agree to it and ikea round to size the job up so early days yet. Thanks

pea

Guest guest9824
Hi Pea

I had high gloss doors back in the UK and I was constantly cleaning them, shouting at the kids for finger marks etc. There is no way around it other than forbidding any one else in your kitchen which obviously does not work, due to kids wanting to be fed and watered constantly, I did find baby oil (just a little bit of it on a dry cloth) rubbed onto the door handles got rid of sticky fingers marks and you literally just had to wipe them to get the marks off.

Good luck with choosing a new kitchen I know it can be stressful finding the one you want but once its in it will be worth it.

Sarah

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for that too, I thought as much, I will be cleaning all the time I think, I am with the fridge door that's bad enough, but I do like a bit of 'high gloss' .....the baby oil tip is a good one too.... I know I will drive myself nuts :wink:, trying to keep it clean.

Peax

I had high gloss white cupboards at eye level to maximise the natural light and a hotch-potch of different doors and drawer fronts at floor level. I wouldn't put white cupboards at floor level but then I have two grubby sprogs.

The worktop I had was a coated particle board with a white, textured surface. It looked really cool but was crap. After it went I made my own from an old pub bar top that I got from an architectural salvage yard. I just skimmed the surface, kept all the water marks and gave it a few coats of walnut oil, it was gorgeous.

I hear what you're saying about the Ikea ovens, I measured up and couldn't fit my large roaster in them. I knew someone who had one of their large range cookers too and it was appalling, had a built in timer that only allowed it to stay on for a maximum of three hours and was impossible to regulate the heat on. They're all manufactured by Whirlpool which doesn't have a great rep.

Our oven was a s/h Miele which was more expensive than a new Ikea one but so worth it. The temp control was fantastic and the heat was so dry, never any steam so it was awesome for cakes and roasts.

Also, just be careful of the sinks, some of them have really thin walls so they break easily, not just from impact but temperature extremes too. I picked up an old butler sink from a salvage yard for our kitchen and it was awesome and cost pennies.

Many thanks to you all for the above info, that's exactly what was looking for, first hand experience.

Scot1 does your handyman only do local jobs? Would he consider Kalamunda, and does he rip out the old kitchen?

Porty what worktops did you have that stained? Curious as that is my worry with the stone worktops, having not had stone before. Or the wood ones? Do they stain, I'm assuming yes. I am a little bit worried as I'm not the most careful cook in the world and tend to put hot pans on surfaces, drop beet root on worktops etc,you get the picture! I am also quite surprised how small the ovens are at ikea, I want to source everything from there as it will be easier, just not sure about the oven...but then the cupboards are made to fit their appliances so not sure how to get round that.

Nic that's good to hear that that internals are of a better quality than others on the market.

Anyone had high gloss cupboards? I'm thinking with me being so OCD every time there is a mark on them (which will be many times) I will be having to clean them....any tips, experiences with them?

Hi Peanuts,

we have an Ikea red gloss kitchen here in the UK... EVERYONE who walks in our house loves it! My husband and I are massive Ikea fans and we would recommend it anytime! It's really good quality, but you do need to clean it with a product that has 'dust trap' option in it (like Mr Sheen)... otherwise is dust everywhere! Also, we don't have children but if you do the only thing I'd say is tell them 'hands off'! LOL!

The only thing we did and I would recommend is use the online tool to design it, install it yourself (the price they charge to install it was exactly the price of our kitchen... not sure about Oz) and get a good quality worktop. We have a solid surface worktop from a private company since to use the Ikea one we would have to have them to install it and it was a rip off. We are hoping to use Ikea one we are in Perth to do our house again... still thinking on what to take when we move.

Hope this helps,

Good luck.

PS: if you want pictures I'd be happy to share! :cute:

...anyone bought one from ikea? had one installed by ikea?

Any recommendations for kitchen companies, full fit out plus laundry potentially...please...:cute:

pea :)

Hi we fitted an Ikea Kitchen and Laundry last November in readiness to sell our house In Willetton (sold first home open!)

We designed it on line, Visited and discussed with the kitchen designer and sorted any problems. Ordered there and then and was delivered 2 days later all 2 tons of it. We installed and there was not one screw or item missing!

My family company installed everything and fitted all the led lighting and electrics.

I enclose some pics of the kitchen and laundry to give you some idea. Benchtops are cesarstone white in kitchen and doors are all hi gloss white

new laundry.jpg

Cheers

Mick Lines

Bedfordale

new kitchen night.jpg

new kitchen.jpg

Edited by mikethebyte

We have an Ikea Kitchen in the UK been installed for 2 years so far, oven has broken down but with a 5 year warranty on it not a problem. We are happy with ours, however sink is a bit thin and our tap has started to leak. No issue with the cuboards yet but was sooooo easy to put together fit, they even cut the holes in the worktop for the sink and hob (not sure if that is just a UK thing). I used the online design app then also went into store and went over it with a designer, if you do this make sure you save a good few hours :) and dont make the mistake that we did in taking the kids with you.

Guest guest9824

Thanks to all the above, mike the pictures are lovely of your kitchen, looking fantastic. Jason thanks for the sink tips. Mr&mrs W, thanks for the great tips about cleaning etc, I must admit I love red, and was leaning towards a red kitchen, then decided to go neutral but with red glass splash backs. We have had the ikea kitchen planner out, which was excellent service, very thorough, and they will be doing everything for us, as it works out quite reasonable, the labour isn't that bad at all and compared to what we paid for the bathroom refurb it's very reasonable. I am now reconsidering high gloss, as dust is a huge issue especially up here in the hills, the easterleys can blow in a lot of red dust. Thanks again to all of the great posts above.

Peax