Medical Help - for moving to Australia

Canada_to_Oz

Hi,

How do you get a family doctor right away in Australia? Do you have to be an Australian citizen? Can you get a family doctor before you get your PR?

(I have asked our family doctor here in Canada these questions, but he doesn't know how the healthcare system works in Australia).

Thanks for any help!!

Edited by Canada_to_Oz

You just go to a surgery and ask for an appointment. You can go to any Doctor so long as they are taking on new patients. Doctors are not "allocated" patients in the Australian system.

Once you arrive in Australia you would be best advised to apply for a Medicare card straight away as Doctors might refuse to see you without one, and if they do see you, can charge a higher fee than normal.

What visa are you planning to come on?

If you are coming on a temp visa such as a 457 or a tourist visa then you will not be entitled to Medicare as there is no reciprocal agreement between Canada and Australia. Instead you will need comprehensive medical insurance. Be aware that most insurance policies do not cover GP visits. So i would expect you will simply have to pay. Though most GP's will happily see you.

Once you have PR then you will fall into the Medicare system. When you arrive, just pop into any medicare branch - there is one in most big shopping centres. Take a load of ID. I cant remember what ID you need, but it will say on the website. You fill in the form and hand it in at the counter. They will give you a temp number on a piece of paper and if you need to see a GP just give this to the receptionist when you arrive for your appointment. A Medicare card will be sent in the post. Everyone in the household needs to apply for their own card.

There are two types of GP. Those that "bulk bill" and those that dont. Bulk Billing means that there is no cost to you to see a GP. But these are increasingly hard to find - there are none in my area. Most now charge a fee on top of what they get from Medicare. Around where i live they charge about $35 on top. When you register with Medicare, they will take your bank details and any fees from the doctor will be taken from your account automatically.

Be aware that some things always carry a fee. For example, i recently needed an ultrasound and this cost about $200 and is not claimable from health insurance.

What visa are you planning to come on?

If you are coming on a temp visa such as a 457 or a tourist visa then you will not be entitled to Medicare as there is no reciprocal agreement between Canada and Australia. Instead you will need comprehensive medical insurance. Be aware that most insurance policies do not cover GP visits. So i would expect you will simply have to pay. Though most GP's will happily see you.

Once you have PR then you will fall into the Medicare system. When you arrive, just pop into any medicare branch - there is one in most big shopping centres. Take a load of ID. I cant remember what ID you need, but it will say on the website. You fill in the form and hand it in at the counter. They will give you a temp number on a piece of paper and if you need to see a GP just give this to the receptionist when you arrive for your appointment. A Medicare card will be sent in the post. Everyone in the household needs to apply for their own card.

There are two types of GP. Those that "bulk bill" and those that dont. Bulk Billing means that there is no cost to you to see a GP. But these are increasingly hard to find - there are none in my area. Most now charge a fee on top of what they get from Medicare. Around where i live they charge about $35 on top. When you register with Medicare, they will take your bank details and any fees from the doctor will be taken from your account automatically.

Be aware that some things always carry a fee. For example, i recently needed an ultrasound and this cost about $200 and is not claimable from health insurance.

Sorry VS, but you are wrong. We are on a 457, and we have Medicare, we also have BUPA, which is a good thing to have.