Singapore Airlines - Stopover in Singapore - Migrant allowance

Claudette

We fly to Perth from London in June, we have brought a multi-city one-way ticket with a stopover in Singapore. As we have unvalidated visas, we've been given the 10kg migrant allowance on top of our 30kg standard allowance.

Has anyone used the additional migrant allowance and had a stopover en route? My concern is that we won't be re-allowed it when we check back in at Singapore. I'm assuming that we will need to check in separately for both legs of the journey given we are in Singapore for 3 nights? Or could we check in for the complete flight at London? Would they keep hold of our checked luggage if we did that? I've never done a stopover before - only a few hours layover so not sure if the rules are the same?

I would say the extra allowance would be for the whole trip as it will all be on the same booking reference but double check with the airline :smile:

We are stopping over 6 nights in Singapore but we don't get the extra allowance as we've already validated our visas; I don't think we could physically handle 200kg kg of luggage plus cabin cases anyway lol

This is a good question and one that will affect us too. I'm sure they'll allow the extra luggage for the final leg of the journey. Although when my sister travelled with Emirates and had a stop over they got charged for excess luggage twice, once from Manc to Dubai and then from Dubai to Perth!

Hello, we had a multi city stop over in Singapore in August 2013 when we emigrated on an unused permanent visa and we were able to get the additional luggage allowance on the Singapore to Perth leg. My wife emailed Singapore airlines as soon as we booked the flights to get an email confirmation of this so we would have no issues in Singapore, however, this wasn't needed.

Good luck with your move!! You will love Singapore..amazing place!!

Thanks for your replies! I have emailed Singapore air who replied saying they needed to check and come back to me - slightly concerning! Flatpack - I will let you know of the response!

We've already booked the hotel, we did look at the Singapore stopover but the hotel we wanted wasn't included, so we booked one through one of their krisflyer partners - so earn extra points on top of our airmiles.

Worth signing up to their krisflyer programme if you haven't done so already - especially if you are planning on doing a lot of traveling with them - they have loads of partners across Asia and Australia!

Hi Flatpack, as promised! I finally received a response from Singapore Airlines. After several emails back and forth, they then requested copies of our visa grant letters, so I emailed these over and have just received a reply saying that they will grant the migrant allowance on both legs of the journey and have updated my booking so that I don't have any issues in Singapore.

I've just found out I can post a case up to 20kg to Oz for £42. Also, I've been told there's a post office at the airport and my parents have seen people posting cases from there! I'll be sending mine ahead though :biggrin:

Hi Lou, is that with Royal mail? where did you find this information? do you post it at the airport as you are leaving?

Hi Lou, is that with Royal mail? where did you find this information? do you post it at the airport as you are leaving?

I posted it in jersey through Jersey post but I can't imagine Jersey is cheaper than doing this from the UK! I just went down to the depot and posted it from there. I filled out one short page and not the pages and pages of customs forms I had to fill out for my container!!!

My parents have told me they have also seen people posting suitcases at the post office at the airport...I think this was also in Jersey; unfortunately I don't know about the UK.

Edited by Lou8670