Renting out UK house - which landlords insurance?

SaffanZimbo

Just out of interest does anyone currently rent out their UK property? If so could you recommend a good landlords insurance policy? There are so many available its a minefield.... We want the usual building, contents, damage, loss of rental but also drains cover (since our neighbour did his extension we have blocked drains at least once a year which OH deals with but tenants will not want to handle!). We have our trusty boiler / plumber on retainer and our neighbours either side will be managing the property for us for minor repairs and maintenance.

Just out of interest does anyone currently rent out their UK property? If so could you recommend a good landlords insurance policy? There are so many available its a minefield.... We want the usual building, contents, damage, loss of rental but also drains cover (since our neighbour did his extension we have blocked drains at least once a year which OH deals with but tenants will not want to handle!). We have our trusty boiler / plumber on retainer and our neighbours either side will be managing the property for us for minor repairs and maintenance.

We use Halifax landlords insurance for our flats and it looks fine - never had to claim though. Then we have Scottish Gas Homecare for boiler, radiators etc. Out of interest, are you using a property company to manage the property?

I eventually went with Towergate through CIA and got a good deal. Paid slightly more than I wanted, but got a lot more out of them than any of the other insurers i got quotes from which was A LOT! I got free contents (I wasn't going to get contents) , free accidental damage, loss of rent cover and malicious damage. Not sure on drainage cover but i am sure you can ask. If you get an online quote, they ring you and try to beat it if you leave a phone number on the quote form.

Good luck, it really stressed me out when sorting this.

We use Halifax landlords insurance for our flats and it looks fine - never had to claim though. Then we have Scottish Gas Homecare for boiler, radiators etc. Out of interest, are you using a property company to manage the property?

We are not using the property company to manage the house. Our neighbours either side have offered to do this. Our one neighbour moved to the US for 4 years and paid a letting agent to manage the property (for the first half only) - they were absolutely useless!! We often got a knock on the door from the tenants who were frustrated with broken boilers, leaks etc and the agents had done absolutely nothing about these for days! We ended up taking over the management as the letting agents did not do any inspections in the first 2 years (and were then binned by our neighbours!).

We are not using the property company to manage the house. Our neighbours either side have offered to do this. Our one neighbour moved to the US for 4 years and paid a letting agent to manage the property (for the first half only) - they were absolutely useless!! We often got a knock on the door from the tenants who were frustrated with broken boilers, leaks etc and the agents had done absolutely nothing about these for days! We ended up taking over the management as the letting agents did not do any inspections in the first 2 years (and were then binned by our neighbours!).

Nice neighbours! I think all property agents are pretty useless - ours used to frustrate me but at least I could keep bugging them. You need good tenants or your neighbours will have to do inspections. I had the unfortunate experience with a property I managed from overseas where there was a mould problem (could have been easily fixed in the beginning if I'd known) which cost me thousands....and then some! So this time we are definitely using a property management company!

Nice neighbours! I think all property agents are pretty useless - ours used to frustrate me but at least I could keep bugging them. You need good tenants or your neighbours will have to do inspections. I had the unfortunate experience with a property I managed from overseas where there was a mould problem (could have been easily fixed in the beginning if I'd known) which cost me thousands....and then some! So this time we are definitely using a property management company!

Yes, our neighbours are amazing! They are gutted we are moving but have pledged to visit (and our one neighbour dislikes flying "but for you, I will fly half way around the world!" - amazing.

Our one lovely neighbour has also asked for first refusal if a few years down the line we opt to sell which is great (we may sell once we get the lie of the land in 2-3 years time).

We will so miss our lovely neighbours!

Hi

I use CIA/Towergate one and the same they know we are in Ozland. They offer very competitive prices. I was even telephoned last year to remind me that one of the properties was due for renewal I was impressed with the phone call I have to say. :biggrin:They also email in plenty of time to remind of renewal date.