Scottish electrician with compex 01-04 and prison officer seeking advice

tonyboy

Hello everyone hope your all doing well!

im looking for advice on getting started with all the different steps towards transferring my skills across to the australian standards. Am i right in saying that you first have to get your trade recognised then from there go fo the wa licence? If anyone has been through this and can spare the time to note down what you done step by step I'd really appreciate it. Also are you better doing all this before you even apply for a visa? Really quite clueless about this so apologies in advance. I have also passed my compEX 01-04 exam which enables me to work in hazardous areas ie oil and gas field, can this be transferred also? My partner is a prison officer and also looking to continue this role over in australia. Any help would be welcome, also a rough cost of doing all this would be great.

Thanks in advance guys

Have a nice weekend :-)

Perhaps start by speaking to a Registered Migration Agent to determine that you are eligible for a visa and which one would best suit you. Most of the good, reputable agents give free assessments so no harm in speaking with a couple of them. I am sure they will also be able to answer your questions regarding transferring your skills to Australian standards. Also, there is a Down Under Migration Show on at the SECC on 21&22 February so you may get a lot of good information there as well. It is quite a costly business so worth doing the ground work before you start.

Visa first.

The starting point is immi.gov.au to see which visa you may qualify for.

Electrician in on the SOL. This is the main list of wanted occupations. So, that is a good start. The things you need to look at are points and to ensure you can pass the skills assessment. Age is important on this. How old are you and how long have you been working in your trade?

you should also though be aware that electrician is a licensed occupation and it isn't as simple as getting your skills recognised. You would need, once here, to undergo the license process. This would mean a combination of working as a trade assistant for a period of time and going back to college.

I think it was something like this, excluding all of the other visa process.

1. Get your skills recognized by sending certs and ref's to Vetassess. As mentioned, you need to have so many years experience.

2. Take the Vetassess skills test.

3. None of your certificates will be recognized in Australia per se, including CompEx. You will have to do up to one year gap training and take more exams in Australia - if you are the main applicant on the visa.

Although you have UK certificates they don't really mean much in Australia, they will be acknowledged but don't really mean anything and you will have to re-train, so to say. It will be difficult to get a job as a TA (trade assistant), as there is so many people doing it. I have applied for loads of jobs just to see how it goes but have heard nothing back from anyone. I currently work in Saudi Arabia but have a job lined up on the mines through a mate, as a TA until I get my license.

Rough cost, thousands of pounds. Maybe cheaper if your partners job is on the SOL.